Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54549117

BBC article and short interview

"It's an amazing feeling," says the 27-year-old Charlton Athletic player. "At times I did wonder when I'd score my first Wales goal and I still can't quite believe it."

Just imagine Jonny Williams saying after Saturday's game: 

"It's an amazing feeling. At times I did wonder when I'd score my first Charlton goal and I still can't quite believe it." :smile: 

• Dazzler21 said:
    Love a bit of speculation of formations so, if Williams can come on as a sub like last night in a forward position it might be interesting to see a 4-4-2 diamond of:

Amos
    Gunter - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Watson
    Levitt - - - - - Doughty
    Maddison
    Bogle - Williams

or 4-3-3

Amos
    Gunter - Inniss - Famewo - Purrington
    Levitt - Watson - Maddison
    Aneke - Bogle - Williams

Maatsen hasn't come here to watch Purrington! But if he's not up to speed yet then yes, either of these could be interesting. Second one you'd put Maatsen in for Levitt I think and push Gunter up 
  • Oggy Red said: Just imagine Jonny Williams saying after Saturday’s game:

"It's an amazing feeling. At times I did wonder when I'd score my first Charlton goal and I still can't quite believe it." :smile: 

Nope , I can’t , I’ve tried my best 🤷‍♂️

For the record I fancy him for a minimum of 5 this season, if given enough game time , he’s decent but currently out of favour .
  • I have to be honest and say Bowyer can't take the credit for that. But he can build on that and as you say, start Williams on Saturday and for the next game and the next game, injury permitting. I am still irritated that Vennings started above Williams against Sunderland in all honesty.

It isn't fair on Vennings. He could turn out to be a very tidy player, but he isn't ready yet. He doesn't affect games at this level yet. It is something Williams can do.
    I agree with you Muttley, maybe. Lee done it to kick Johnny up the arris, and get a reaction, which you could say has worked.
  • I hadn't realised he had been asked to play as a False 9 for Wales!

Watching the highlights, he was nearly on the end of a chance a few minutes earlier. Great to see him charging into the box, as so often in recent games for us he's been hopelessly deep
    Might be a good position for him at Charlton
  • I hadn't realised he had been asked to play as a False 9 for Wales!

Watching the highlights, he was nearly on the end of a chance a few minutes earlier. Great to see him charging into the box, as so often in recent games for us he's been hopelessly deep
    Might be a good position for him at Charlton
    He played there in the second half against Leeds at home and push Phillips deeper and deeper until he was almost playing as a sweeper. 

The reason he has been so deep since the restart is, in honesty, we have been poor and haven't been able to get the ball in the positions Johnny needs it. 
  • edited October 2020
    MattF said:
    As a counter argument to Bowyer's comments, Giggs played him as a False 9, thus Jonny didn't have to sprint to get into the box, as he would have been further up the pitch in the first place!
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck mate.
  • A very fine player who looked lost at times as he didn't have the side built to accommodate him. Best of luck
  • Farewell Jonny 

the love’s still there but this marriage is broken 

:-( 
  • Good luck JW  , a top bloke and a talented footballer who is better than League one .
  • Might have missed it through my tear-filled eyes but how long is Cardiff contract?
  • MattF said:
    Might have missed it through my tear-filled eyes but how long is Cardiff contract?
    End of the season

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-confirm-jonny-williams-19748392
  • Sponsored links:

• Good luck Johnny. We'll always remember the runs at Wembley at a time needed that pressure taken away from us and back onto the opposition. 
  • Gutted with this departure. But always going to lose a player when higher division side becomes interested. 
  • edited February 2021
    MattF said:
    Might have missed it through my tear-filled eyes but how long is Cardiff contract?
    End of the season

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/cardiff-city-confirm-jonny-williams-19748392
    Ta, conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that's a result of his medical considering how long this has taken (considerig this was reported Saturday night)
  • Good luck to him, hope he does well for them.
  • MattF said:
    End of the season

Til the end of the season is a risk for Johnny if he picks up an injury or doesn live up to expectations. 

Think its a bargain myself at 200k but doubt we wouldve signed him again in the summer. Good luck Johnny :"(
  • Good luck Jonny hope this move works out for you,shame you couldn’t fulfil your full potential (cause I believe there is more to come) but thanks for the smiles & memories in the promotion season...

wonder now how many games he will start & actually how many he finishes too...probably throw in a couple of goals too boot,anyways onwards n upwards for The Addicks...!!!
  • Sad to see him go in some ways but not really bothered if that makes sense! Think that says it all 
  • Good luck Jonny, and thank you. Sad to see a player leave who was genuinely liked a lot by the players and fans alike. Haven’t had too many that we have taken to quite like him over the past year and a half or so. 
  • All the best to him, a proper trier even if it didn't always come off. 

Lovely bloke and am genuinely gutted he's gone.