Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jonny Williams - now at Gillingham (p47)

Comments

• Options
    ?
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Have I spotted Jonny at Peppa Pig World?

What a dead ringer for him!😂
  • Options
    Jonny Williams is a decent player with justified criticism. nothing more nothing less. if we don't have the right players around him too its going to be another relegation battle.  thats if we''re still a club.
  • Options
    Looks so hyped to be here in the kit shoot! What a man. Such a great footballer but even more than that he's clearly exactly the sort of person this club needs. It's a shame he can't captain while Pearce is injured as he's not fit enough to play every minute
  • Options
    This season, it would be good for him to play higher up as getting countless fouls in the middle of the park really just helps the opposition. 

I hope this is being worked on by the coaches. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Jonny Williams just made an assist for Wales to win the game in the last few minutes with a cross to Neco Williams
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent cross. 
  • Options
    It's actually quite rare to see him cross like that. Normally he tries to beat a man, drive into the area to cut the ball back or play it low across the 6 yard box. 
  • Options
    That might be because he has no one to hit in the box.  We tend to play in the channels and not wide right or left too.
  • Options
    Watched the second half of the Wales match yesterday and he looked really good for the 15 mins he was on the pitch. It’s so frustrating that he doesn’t seem to be able to have the same impact when he starts the match, if he could then he’d be one of the best players in the division (possibly the best player). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tough on Jonny, not sure if it's the right choice. We've seen that Jonny's confidence can easily be knocked and he likes to feel part of a family. Publicly criticising him and hauling him off early might not be the best plan, but maybe it will light a fire under him. We'll see
     Hard to argue with Bowyer though.

He constantly gets talked up as being a championship player. He plays in a position where he should be getting 10-15 goals a season. It's been the story of his career. Terrifies defenders to death with absolutely zero end product.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dont blame him for not persisting with Williams if thats the case

I know plenty dont but I quite like how Bowyer gives us a clear stance on why players arent being picked
    I agree about the straight talking, but disagree with Bowyer's criticism. It's easy for me because my neck isn't in the line, but I would pick Williams as much and as often as I could. He is a class above anything else we have.  If goals and assists were the only factor Marcus Maddison would have 100 England caps :wink:
    This has been my consistent thought - Williams is too good to be on the bench in league 1. Still, in Bowyer we trust.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Be interested to hear @Sage opinion around this as I know his opinion is valued, and he  is a big JW fan, and always talks highly of him.

I've mentioned before that I don't necessarily rate him as highly, and have a neutral friend who have come to watch games with me and notes that he just seems to spend most of his time on the floor.

I think there's clearly talent there, especially with the ball at his feet. And when he has had a decent run of games - like at the beginning of last season - he did look dangerous. 

However if he is not playing full games, or lots of minutes (which he rarely has for Charlton), then at the moment I'm really struggling to see what he adds to the squad.

After lockdown I know it was muted that he had not been doing the required running to get himself in a position to play full games. However now, either Bowyer just does not rate him, or the team is just not good enough as a whole so everyone is suffering, because on paper people would argue he should be running games for us in this league. 
  • Options
    Similar to how you see the best of Lyle Taylor when he's got an opposition crowd giving him stick, I wonder if Williams is someone who has particularly missed having the crowd supporting him when he's on the pitch. Also don't think we play him high enough, and noticeable that in the absence of a box to box sort of midfielder like Gallagher or Aribo, he's doing most of his work in the middle of the park where he's ineffective 
  • Options
    Really like Williams as a person and as a footballer. 

But Bowyer isn't wrong is he, in a squad made up of youngsters and players (at times) not up to the level. You would hope Williams would be the go to for raising play on the pitch, scoring a few goals, making magic happen more often than not. We can't afford passengers.

Hope he finds that magic soon. 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MattF said:
    Similar to how you see the best of Lyle Taylor when he's got an opposition crowd giving him stick, I wonder if Williams is someone who has particularly missed having the crowd supporting him when he's on the pitch. Also don't think we play him high enough, and noticeable that in the absence of a box to box sort of midfielder like Gallagher or Aribo, he's doing most of his work in the middle of the park where he's ineffective 
    Putting my Football Manager hat on, I would certainly like seeing something similar. And do feel like LB has been a little tentative last few games - maybe because of the defense. So perhaps with the players currently available:

Amos
    Deji Barker Famewo Doughty
                        Pratley
                  Watson Levitt
                       Williams
                 Bonne Washington

Or

Amos
               Deji Barker Famwo
      Lapslie                       Doughty
                    Pratley Levitt
                        Williams
                 Bonne Washington

Or

Amos
           Deji Barker Famewo Purrington 
                       Pratley Levitt
          Oztumer Williams Doughty
                           Washington

I know its a lot to ask of young Kyle Barker, and obviously a terrible decision to stick him in the CB role. But I just think Deji is that inconsistent there that he would be better on the right and KB won't do any worse.

With those formations I feel it gives licence for JW do be creative and try and get goals or assists for us. I like Levitt deeper as I think he could be the guy to link defence to attack, and those formations allow Pratley to do what he does best which is break up play.
  • Options
    I think the one thing that all the stats mentioned about him miss is that he was our most fouled player last season. The way he plays does draw a lot of fouls and given where he plays will usually lead to a free kick in a good position. That said he should still be assisting more and definitely chipping in with some goals.

It's not the first time Bowyer has said this about him and his performances do seem to pick up a bit afterwards so I trust Bowyer in what he's doing but I just feel he along with most of us are just getting more frustrated. 
  • Options
    Maybe it's because he's loved up?
    He wouldn't be the first sportsman whose career has gone downhill in such circumstances.