Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• Absolutely superb today. I'd say that in the last 2 home games, he alone has earned us at least 3 extra points with crucial saves.

We won't miss Phillips at all.
    Not denying he made some good saves but did drop a ball that he was lucky to pick it up before they could sxord
    That's the nature of keeping. Superb for 99.9% of the game, but if Wigan had scored then it would have all been tarnished
    Yep, hence Phillips' critcisim for a couple of mistakes last season, particularly the one against Millwall, despite him being POTY. 
  • Absolutely superb today. I'd say that in the last 2 home games, he alone has earned us at least 3 extra points with crucial saves.

Not denying he made some good saves but did drop a ball that he was lucky to pick it up before they could sxord
    That's the nature of keeping. Superb for 99.9% of the game, but if Wigan had scored then it would have all been tarnished
    Yep, hence Phillips' critcisim for a couple of mistakes last season, particularly the one against Millwall, despite him being POTY. 
    It's crazy the way players can get slaughtered for one moment in a whole game, whether a striker missing a chance (Bonne), a defender missing a header (Sarr vs Millwall) or the keeper fumbling the ball. Especially at our level
  • Could definitely do a lot worse. That £70,000,000 bag of jelly Chelsea have between the sticks, for example - another clanger today.

It's crazy the way players can get slaughtered for one moment in a whole game, whether a striker missing a chance (Bonne), a defender missing a header (Sarr vs Millwall) or the keeper fumbling the ball. Especially at our level
    I can understand it though. Football fans are fickle, and especially in Phillips v Millwall, it was a decisive moment (and against that lot). I don't think many would be criticising if that had been against Derby last November for example. 
  • Loved Phillips but always thought Amos was the better all round goalkeeper. 
  • edited October 2020
    Decent keeper, and did pretty well today, but ‘absolutely superb’ what about that clanger they should of scored from?
  • Think he had decent first half, second half the fumble and flap could easily have led to goals 
  • I think Bens done well this season, considering he didn’t get a game last season, hoping like the rest of the team they will get better as games go by.
  • What a keeper he is.

We didnt get to see it last season as he spent all of it bar one cup game on the bench.

But he is proving this season how great he is.
    Certainly adequate at this level, maybe questionable in the Championship

Maybe though those questions are because he's not been part of the right team and hasnt had a proper chance

There's a reason he was tipped as a potential England Goalkeeper when he was at Man Utd though
  • Sponsored links:

• What a keeper he is.

We didnt get to see it last season as he spent all of it bar one cup game on the bench.

Back to 2017/18 Amos when he was excellent

It's slightly puzzling when you look at how they played for us, that he's with us in L1, when Declan Rudd is in the Championship as Preston's first choice keeper, as he didn't particularly impress me in his loan spell
  • Looking solid and has a nice presence.
  • He’ll do well for us in this league but has historically struggled with the step up to the second tier. I think that’s where the difference between him and Dillon really shows.
  • edited October 2020
    Have any clubs in the Championship ever said to him “you’re our number one“ and played him every week? He’s played more games for us than any other club, and both stints started a little slow before proving to be very solid. Perhaps he’s just a good fit for us, or perhaps he needs managers to show faith in him. 

He’s only 30 as well so just coming into his prime for a keeper. I think he’s quite clearly good enough to do a job in the Championship. As others have said, he was a promising youngster and has England caps all the way up to U21. Maybe just needs another chance. Hopefully it’s with us. 
  • What a keeper he is.

Said on here after the Wigan game that he's a great keeper and we won't miss Phillips at all.
  • He’s looking very very solid - no probs with him whatsoever 
  • He’ll do well for us in this league but has historically struggled with the step up to the second tier. I think that’s where the difference between him and Dillon really shows.
    Struggled with the step up to the second tier or struggled with being loaned here and there, without any continuity. 

When Phillip's is called up to play the odd random game for Cardiff, I don't think you'll be seeing the confident goalie that we did for the past year.
  • Wouldn’t swap him for Phillips now,  no way .
    Relegation keepers have plenty to do and are given more opportunity to shine .
    Amos’s dominance in the air coming to claim stuff is a big reason we are in the clean sheet business as well as that solid back line.
    I was so impressed with his aerial dominance on Saturday in appalling conditions, definitely one of the best we've had at that. Hamer for example could be a bit flappy at crosses
  • Sponsored links:

• hermann said:
    Needs a longer contract.
    Which we can't give him due to the wages cap...
  • edited October 2020
    hermann said:
    Needs a longer contract.
    Wrong. We can just not an OTT salary. If we fail to get promoted, he will likely remain around L1.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    hermann said:
    Needs a longer contract.
    Wrong. We can just not an OTT salary. If we fail to get promoted, he will likely remain around L1.
    His current salary will be well over the salary cap level. Why would he sign a new contract now for a sum far lower, which would mean a pay cut this year (20/21)?
  • What a keeper he is.

Certainly adequate at this level, maybe questionable in the Championship

Maybe though those questions are because he's not been part of the right team and hasnt had a proper chance

There's a reason he was tipped as a potential England Goalkeeper when he was at Man Utd though
    If we went up I wouldn't have any worries about him starting at all. I would have preferred Phillips, especially considering age but Amos is a decent keeper. 
  • Looking at his WIKI page hes only had one full season as a no.1 which was with Bolton in the 15/16 season - in the Championship, before that just back up loans out.

The only other time hes been a number one was.... yep, with us - 17/18

Think it's harsh to say hes struggled in the champ, no difference to Phillips really - one whole season ending in relegation. 

If we go up, would have no problem with him as no.1.
  • people seeming to overlook the one he spilt last night that could easily have lead to a goal
  • Prefacing the below: I like Amos and think he’s our best bet while we’re still in League One.

He hasn’t been given a full season most place because he hasn’t been very good when given the shirt and a run of games to prove himself. 

As a bottom half Championship club, you might be tempted to keep him on if he was at least showing signs of being decent in training but multiple second tier clubs have passed on him in his career. It’s not a good sign of his ability to take the next step.

I don’t have much insight into his season with Bolton. We know Dillon wasn’t responsible for our relegation and perhaps we can let Amos have the benefit of the doubt there too.

I do know a bit more re: 2017-19. He came off a decent season with us last time, took the step up with Millwall and took the shirt from Archer after Archer had put in some poor performances. He couldn’t keep the shirt once it was given to him and Millwall didn’t extend his stay. A familiar story throughout his career.
  • people seeming to overlook the one he spilt last night that could easily have lead to a goal
    But didn't. Every keeper will make mistakes occasionally but an impressive run of clean sheets means a least a bit of credit has to go his way.
  • thenewbie said:
    people seeming to overlook the one he spilt last night that could easily have lead to a goal
    But didn't. Every keeper will make mistakes occasionally but an impressive run of clean sheets means a least a bit of credit has to go his way.
    Totally agree.  He's been exceptional.  Charlton people have always tended to prefer Phillips because "he's one of our own" - but I think Amos has a better all round game and fast, reasonably accurate distribution.  Phillips used to really annoy me with how slow he could be to pick the ball up and then get the game going again - when we are winning it's OK - but he was slow even when we were chasing the game.
  • I was certain Phillips was the better keeper but I'm no longer so.