Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• Options
    I am struggling to name two better goal keepers in league 1 than Amos and Phillips. Kind of expecting this contract extension will lead to Phillips leaving. At least we won’t be hunting around for a loan keeper this year.
    Amos will be a decent mentor for Maynard-Brewer as well who you'd expect to be No.2 next season if Dillon did leave
    It’s funny how all football fans read into things and we are guilty of it. For example, JFC & Williams are taking their extension because no one else will take a risk on them in current environment. Amos didn’t play a match last year but he’s only been given a contract to replace Phillips.

Indeed. This is all about the players protecting their positions in very uncertain times. That doesn’t make it bad news - far from it - but reading anything else into it is unwise.
    Agreed - if Conor Washington (or any player who doesn’t already have a contract with us) signs it will be interesting. 
  • Options
    Happy with this. To be honest, even without all our issues, you have to expect to lose players when you get relegated. Under normal circumstances, I'd accept selling someone like Phillips to raise funds for a promotional campaign. Amos is a very good keeper at League 1 level. 
    With regards to the players staying it feels a bit like the relegation after 98/99 when it was only Mills who wanted to go
    We don't know how Phillips, Doughty, Lockyer and Bonne feel yet. We also have to remember a large chunk of our side have already left. Only one I'm gutted about is Cullen though. The rest of the loans weren't particularly good. I'd take Field and Green though. 
  • Options
    Happy with this. To be honest, even without all our issues, you have to expect to lose players when you get relegated. Under normal circumstances, I'd accept selling someone like Phillips to raise funds for a promotional campaign. Amos is a very good keeper at League 1 level. 
    With regards to the players staying it feels a bit like the relegation after 98/99 when it was only Mills who wanted to go
    We don't know how Phillips, Doughty, Lockyer and Bonne feel yet. We also have to remember a large chunk of our side have already left. Only one I'm gutted about is Cullen though. The rest of the loans weren't particularly good. I'd take Field and Green though. 
    No that could well be the kick in the ball that is sneaking up on us

If those four stay then along with Washington you could start to think that even just five loans would give us quite a decent squad for next season

This is Charlton though, doesnt work like that for us
  • Options
    welcome back Ben .. IF you ever left ((:>)
  • Options
    Obviously Lee wouldn't say anything otherwise, but good to hear him refer to Dillon in a manner that suggests we/he wants to keep him. Still expect him to go but it is nice to hear.
  • Options

If those four stay then along with Washington you could start to think that even just five loans would give us quite a decent squad for next season

I agree:

Amos
    Deji, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Pratley
    Morgan, JFC
    Williams
    Bonne, Aneke

Plus Doughty, Lapslie, Oztumer, Washington. You're suddently only 3/4 away from a half decent League 1 squad and then 3/4 players from U23 to make the numbers up. 

Not expecting it to look anything like the above though. Fully expect Lockyer, and probably Doughty to leave. 
  • Options
    I am struggling to name two better goal keepers in league 1 than Amos and Phillips. Kind of expecting this contract extension will lead to Phillips leaving. At least we won’t be hunting around for a loan keeper this year.
    Amos will be a decent mentor for Maynard-Brewer as well who you'd expect to be No.2 next season if Dillon did leave
    It’s funny how all football fans read into things and we are guilty of it. For example, JFC & Williams are taking their extension because no one else will take a risk on them in current environment. Amos didn’t play a match last year but he’s only been given a contract to replace Phillips.
    Nope we've not offered Amos anything this year.

The extension was put forward to Ben when given his contract last year, its his own choice to take it up

These decisions from JFC | Williams | Amos could actually be pissing off ESI as wouldnt be surprised if they'd be praying that all three would leave and so bring down the wage bill

ESI of course could yet choose to sell all three
    exactly what I thought too. 
  • Options
    I put this in another thread, but Bowyer is actually smiling in the video, it's good to see and so different from how he was on talksport a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully he is feeling more positive about the season ahead, really think he is staying put now as well, which is fantastic 
  • Options
    Is Bowyer being pushed in front of the camera? I can’t work out if he’s happy or not at the prospect of staying or whether he’s off but doing his duties while he’s still here 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Does this announcement means phillips is off?
  • Options
    2121 said:
    If anybody offers more than a couple of hundred quid, yes. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    I am sure before we got relegated that I saw something about Phillips not wanting to sign a new contract if we are in League One, so I think he is almost definitely off. Even if we had proper owners I imagine he'd be off. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    If anybody offers more than a couple of hundred quid, yes. 
    😂😂

fair play to phillips hes good altho got a lot of criticism last term 
  • Options
    In Football Manager I kept Amos for several seasons as he was genuinely happy to be the reserve keeper, only playing the occasional cup game!
  • Options

I agree:

Amos
    Deji, Lockyer, Pearce, Purrington
    Pratley
    Morgan, JFC
    Williams
    Bonne, Aneke

Plus Doughty, Lapslie, Oztumer, Washington. You're suddently only 3/4 away from a half decent League 1 squad and then 3/4 players from U23 to make the numbers up. 

Not expecting it to look anything like the above though. Fully expect Lockyer, and probably Doughty to leave. 
    Lockyer has a release clause in his contract if we were relegated.  He can leave on a free.
    He'll be gone.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    They've offered him a new contract...  who knows if that can be approved by the EFL now.  Championship or not clubs are reducing budgets. 

They'll be a few clubs interested in him in the champ, but surely they want to move quickly before any wage budget voted on?  He may feel it better to accept a contract, as I don't think any SE team are interested, and get a smallish transfer release price put in the contract.  We're about to enter into the tightest market since ITV Digital, and it's even way tighter than then.  It's going to be a very strange market.
  • Options
    That save was excellent! He knows Dills is no better than him, just a matter of whoever got picked first to prove themselves (and obviously, that they had to do).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    That save was excellent! He knows Dills is no better than him, just a matter of whoever got picked first to prove themselves (and obviously, that they had to do).
    Amos was excellent for us but poor for Millwall so hopefully back to his best.
  • Options
    It's also good to see and hear Bows talk positively about squad players too. He can be a bit too grumpy at times.
  • Options
    It seems that Amos needs a run of games to be at his best, to get his full sharpness. That loan season with us, he played regularly and was excellent
  • Options
    cafc-west said:
    Just been announced as the keeper in the EFL League 1 team of the week!
    Well done Ben.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Absolutely superb today. I'd say that in the last 2 home games, he alone has earned us at least 3 extra points with crucial saves.

We won't miss Phillips at all.
  • Options
    Absolutely superb today. I'd say that in the last 2 home games, he alone has earned us at least 3 extra points with crucial saves.

Not denying he made some good saves but did drop a ball that he was lucky to pick it up before they could sxord
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Not denying he made some good saves but did drop a ball that he was lucky to pick it up before they could sxord
    & that is what makes him a good keeper...adjust...👍,we will be just fine with Amos in between the sticks,shame the way it ended up with Dills but heyho...!!
  • Options

That's the nature of keeping. Superb for 99.9% of the game, but if Wigan had scored then it would have all been tarnished