Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ben Amos - gone to Wigan, leaving message p9

Comments

• Oops, just picked up my jaw, so welcome back Ben, great signing.
  • Hmmm. Once again I am a bit "meh" about this. Said back in January when we got Maxwell in that it was a waste of a wage. Even more so this season. When our playing budget is so tight I think another keeper atm is not a high priority. Also sends the wrong message to not only Phillips but Maynard-Brewer too.

Not sure on the rules on emergency goalkeepers, but even if that has been tightened recently whats wrong in waiting until deadline day.

I was right about Maxwell back in January......or perhaps the thought is that Amos can play up front seeing as we only have 2 strikers at the moment !!

The rule is that you need two goalkeepers to be injured.  Think AMB needs a loan in L2 or the National League. 

As we saw with Phillips, he will improve with games. 
  • Hmmm. Once again I am a bit "meh" about this. Said back in January when we got Maxwell in that it was a waste of a wage. Even more so this season. When our playing budget is so tight I think another keeper atm is not a high priority. Also sends the wrong message to not only Phillips but Maynard-Brewer too.

Not sure on the rules on emergency goalkeepers, but even if that has been tightened recently whats wrong in waiting until deadline day.

I was right about Maxwell back in January......or perhaps the thought is that Amos can play up front seeing as we only have 2 strikers at the moment !!

We need a keeper to not only be a good quality number 2, but who can also push the number 1. Amos will do that.

AMB is 20 and has never played a professional league game. He isn't ready and needs to be loaned out to a league 2 or National league side.
  • Fan-fucking-tastic!
  • Happy with that signing,welcome back Ben..,now the 5 more over the line needed & it's looking a little rosier for our survival in the Champ...
  • This one has taken me by surprise. I thought we didn't do squad depth! It will be interesting to see what happens; I would suggest that Phillips will start the season but I've never got the feeling that Bowyer is 100% sold on him as his number 1. It took Amos a while to warm up when he first signed for us and he didn't have a great time at Millwall so it's on Phillips to really start the season well and hold his form as Bowyer will definitely bring Amos in if there's an opportunity.
  • With regards to Amos / Maynard-Brewer you'd hope that this finally allows the latter to go out on loan to a League One / League Two team as there will be no concerns about losing Amos back to his parent club like what we had with Steer last year

Of course if that does happen as means the one year deal works out well for us as if Maynard-Brewer were to excel on his own loan deal then there is nothing to say that he cant be our No.2 next year behind Phillips meaning that Amos would be free to go elsewhere
  • Sponsored links:

• With regards to Amos / Maynard-Brewer you'd hope that this finally allows the latter to go out on loan to a League One / League Two team as there will be no concerns about losing Amos back to his parent club like what we had with Steer last year

Of course if that does happen as means the one year deal works out well for us as if Maynard-Brewer were to excel on his own loan deal then there is nothing to say that he cant be our No.2 next year behind Phillips meaning that Amos would be free to go elsewhere
    If Maynard-Brewer up to L2 football? He's only 20 after all, maybe a National League loan is more likely

If Maynard-Brewer up to L2 football? He's only 20 after all, maybe a National League loan is more likely
    Yeah League One is probably far too high for him

I wouldnt be surprised if he were to join a National League side, would personally prefer a League Two team

What I think is important, is he plays.

He'll gain nothing sitting on the bench, wherever he goes.
  • Superb signing.
  • Maynard-Brewer can get experience on loan.
  • Excellent signing, knows the club, knows the players and arguably had his best spell in God knows how long with us. Ignore the bad patch at Millwall, he took one for us and let's be honest who could get motivated to play for them lot anyway.

Welcome back Ben, goalie position well and truly covered, get young AMB out on loan now 

Knew you'd be spouting the same drivel over this.
    Great signing, welcome back Ben. 
  • Delighted with that as will the boy be, he loved Amos
  • What a lovely signing this is!
  • Sponsored links:

• Won’t be posting anymore garbage from my ‘source’. Told me this definitely wasn’t happening! 
    to be fair it might not off been at one stage and something changed. This is what happens with rumours second hand info. 
    Yeah it has dragged on for weeks and he has been the top target but was told Thursday we just couldn't offer enough and he would be going elsewhere. 

That could have been correct to be fair, and either we have increased our offer, Amos has lowered his demands or more than likely somewhere in the middle. 

Golfie........it’s interesting to see that BexleyBoy has a very real challenger for the biggest wind up merchant on Charlton message boards.....with a just a little bit of extra effort you’ll soon be knocking him off that top spot!
  • Very happy with that. Two decent keepers. Maynard Brewer can go on loan. Would have liked to see him get a couple of years but good to have him in for now.

One more CB and the defence is sorted.  Would be good to get Sarr and Djiksteel contracts extended too.  With a decent new CB our defence would look ok for this level I think.
  • More good news!
  • Very happy with that. Two decent keepers. Maynard Brewer can go on loan. Would have liked to see him get a couple of years but good to have him in for now.

One more CB and the defence is sorted.  Would be good to get Sarr and Djiksteel contracts extended too.  With a decent new CB our defence would look ok for this level I think.
    I'd like to see Sarr in the Champ before we think about extending his deal. I'm sure he will be fine but he's going to be one of the highest, if not the highest paid player at the club so needs to be a top performer to warrant that. 
  • Yeh! but never mind all that. Is he wearing the new home strip?
  • Daggs said:
    Yeh! but never mind all that. Is he wearing the new home strip?
    Yes, he's pictured in it on the OS
  • Good deal I reckon. 

Are you Karel Fraeye?

Golfie........it’s interesting to see that BexleyBoy has a very real challenger for the biggest wind up merchant on Charlton message boards.....with a just a little bit of extra effort you’ll soon be knocking him off that top spot!
    I don't think it was a wind-up