Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Sage said:
    Nobody has played brilliantly over the last two games (with maybe the exception of Lockyer) so I’m confused why Purrington is getting singled out.

We as Charlton fans seem to gravitate towards digging out full backs and I’ve never understood why...
    It’s the position on the pitch that will always be the most exposed. When we are not playing well or getting results, people always go for the player playing in the most vulnerable position outfield. We have seen it over and over again and it’s tiresome. As said already, Purrington is one of the least of our problems. Especially if he’s carrying an injury, it’s not his fault his competition for the position has constantly been injured the whole time.

Solid player who rarely lets us down. Let’s not make him a scapegoat.
    Is he the "least of our problems"?  After a goal scoring striker to fill in for Taylor do we have any other problems?

He brought balance to our team last season because we had in effect played with out a left back for 2 months.  He is a decent player, I don't think anyone can doubt that but there was a reason rotherham let him go and no one else came in for him. 

Is he a good player, yes obviously.  Is he "first choice in a competitive championship team good"?  Probably not, but the same could be extended to a few others. 

He is here because he was cheapish, he was cheapish for a reason.  Instead of "scapegoating" people need to manage their expectations. 
    Lyle Taylor was cheaper than Ben Purrington... just saying. Transfer fee isn’t always the best indication of ability
    Although Taylor wouldn't have been "cheaper" if he had been under contract, like Purrington.

• Options
    Wow . It looks like the usual Charlton boo boys have found their new target.

The bloke hasn’t put a foot wrong in a Charlton shirt and now he’s the scape goat just because we’ve lost a couple of games . Pathetic 
    For Christ sakes give it a bloody rest . The digging out of our own players is getting really boring . 
    This with bells on
  • Options
    A reminder that on the statbank, despite 2 poor performances (when suffering with a knock) Purrington averages 6.68, the 3rd best defender
  • Options
    Nobody has played brilliantly over the last two games (with maybe the exception of Lockyer) so I’m confused why Purrington is getting singled out.
     Purrington 100% not to blame for the last two results. The goals came from the attacking player not being tracked... TWICE. 

With bullet headers both times. 

Poor that we hadn't planned to or hadn't executed a block on Dunkley's route into the box. It was somewhat obvious. 
  • Options
    Not blaming Ben, or knocking him, or saying he's not good enough, its just an observation that whenever i see him play, his passes are almost always sideways and predominantly backwards- maybe they are the instructions from the coaching team, but i do find that our attacking options are limited down the left coz of that.
    But i will always love him for 'that' goal.
  • Options
    Funny how people see different things.

Last season he was at times our most consistent attacking outlet bombing forward from that full back position. 

His performance against Wigan was uncharacteristically poor but the Championship is a big jump up and I've not seen anything else to suggest that he can't hold his own here. 
  • Options
    Not sure if calling him poor the last 2 games is digging him out? It’s a fact and I like Ben.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:

Last season he was at times our most consistent attacking outlet bombing forward from that full back position. 

His performance against Wigan was uncharacteristically poor but the Championship is a big jump up and I've not seen anything else to suggest that he can't hold his own here. 
    Obviously, Ben not getting forward might be down to the limitations of carrying an injury.

But another reason might be he's not being covered when he gets forward or other players are not making the runs off the ball to give him an outlet for a forward pass.

Bowyer has an intolerance of possession being surrendered cheaply - without a forward option, in order to keep possession; in defensive areas players will be instructed to play the 'safe' option and the simple pass. And surely, Purrington not 100% fit will have been told not to take risks.

• Options
    CAFCOlly said:

Maybe playing against lesser quality teams last season gave him the opportunity to get forward more.
    There may also be something in the point about maybe not having a left winger type outlet to pass to.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Obviously, Ben not getting forward might be down to the limitations of carrying an injury.

But another reason might be he's not being covered when he gets forward or other players are not making the runs off the ball to give him an outlet for a forward pass.

Bowyer has an intolerance of possession being surrendered cheaply - without a forward option, in order to keep possession; in defensive areas players will be instructed to play the 'safe' option and the simple pass. And surely, Purrington not 100% fit will have been told not to take risks.

Think this is a huge part of it, and something that has become more prevalent in the past 2 games - which incidentally coincide with the matches we've been missing Taylor.

What Lyle does so well is use horizontal channels with his runs, dragging defenders wide and therefore allowing more space for people to run into with the ball or to pass forward. Hemed so far just seems to run in vertical channels. The lack of imagination in running off the ball by the front 2 in the last 2 matches is making it more difficult for Williams/Oztumer/Gallagher to penetrate with the ball and making it harder for players like Ben to shift the ball forward in an attacking manner.
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    I’ve never rated him. He was good enough in league one in a good side but he’s utterly detrimental to our attacking play 
    What complete and utter bull 
    Which bit ? For the record, I’ve never done anything other than support a player at a game.  Standard modern response of people not being allowed their own opinion . 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    wmcf123 said:
    I’ve never rated him. He was good enough in league one in a good side but he’s utterly detrimental to our attacking play 
    What complete and utter bull 
    Which bit ? For the record, I’ve never done anything other than support a player at a game.  Standard modern response of people not being allowed their own opinion . 
    "Modern response"

Is this a PC gawn maaaad thing?
  • Options
    We would be in a hole if we didnt have Purrington. End of. Move on to the next target.....maybe the pilot on Lyle's flight for braking too hard on arrival causing an extra twist to the plot! 
  • Options
    clive said:
    That sounds like Page last year, playing through an injury and hoping to get to the international break...

3 games in a week is a big ask if he has an injury
  • Options
    Wonder if Matthews can play Left Back...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Bowyer confirmed Ben is having to play with a calf injury as Page is still injured.
  • Options
    ...as if this is going to end well!!
  • Options
    Bowyer confirmed Ben is having to play with a calf injury as Page is still injured.
    Looking forward to ending up with 2 injured left backs.
  • Options
    I wonder what sort of 'calf injury' you can have , but still play ?

• Options
    Time for him to not play again 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    A bit harsh. 

He is having a bad patch and needs to be taken out for a while but we can’t really do that at the moment. 

Saying that if we do have a bit of money in January the first thing I would look to do is bring in a left back. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    A bit harsh. 

He is having a bad patch and needs to be taken out for a while but we can’t really do that at the moment. 

Saying that if we do have a bit of money in January the first thing I would look to do is bring in a left back. 
    It doesn’t give me any pleasure in saying it but he is seriously poor.  Half decent in a very strong side last year but woeful for weeks this season.
  • Options
    In cricketing terms, Purrington is a slow medium pace dobber who bats at 8.
    I've always said he is an ordinary player, who spends more time passing the ball backwards and sidewards - it says a lot that he couldnt get in the Rotherham team ffs.

However, will always love him for THAT tap-in.