Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ben Purrington - signed for Ross County (p23)

Comments

• Options
      I only saw the team towards the end of the season, but thought Purrington was the best player in the play offs.  If it wasn't for him in the play offs against Doncaster we'd have been deeper than Jacques Costeau.  Djiksteel comes inside too much and loses the ball, Purrington just keeps on bombing up on the outside.

Djikstele's excellent on the ball reacting but not when he has choices to make... hopefully he can look over to Purrington and pickup what he needs to do, because he certainly has the talent to be a bit more effective.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Bowyer wanted this lad back - and we've even paid a transfer fee for him.

Purrington hasn't signed a 3 year contract to sit on the bench.

• Options
    Are we sure we paid a fee? I haven't even seen undisclosed  mentioned anywhere. Granted I could have missed it.

It's possible rotherham may have been happy to cancel his contract and let him go of they are looking to reduce the wage bill after relegation. It certainly seems like he wasn't in their plans so reserve left back may well be somewhere they were looking to save money.
  • Options
    Are we sure we paid a fee? I haven't even seen undisclosed  mentioned anywhere. Granted I could have missed it.

It's possible rotherham may have been happy to cancel his contract and let him go of they are looking to reduce the wage bill after relegation. It certainly seems like he wasn't in their plans so reserve left back may well be somewhere they were looking to save money.
    "The left-back, who netted the all-important equaliser against Sunderland on May 26th, becomes Lee Bowyer’s fourth summer signing joining the Addicks from Rotherham United for an undisclosed fee."

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5d1ba02f13cf2/done-deal-wembley-hero-ben-purrington-signs-on-a-permanent-deal
  • Options
    Hi Canters, also remember recently reading that the Rotherham manager said, if they were to let Purrington go,  they had paid £300,000 for him 2 years ago - and needed to recoup some of that transfer fee.

Someone on here reckons we paid around £94k for him.
    If so, that would roughly represent the value to Rotherham of the 1 year remaining on his contract.

• Options
    Fair enough. Duly noted.
  • Options
    We only lost 1 league game when he was playing. Think he's a solid addition who can still improve.
  • Options
    jac52 said:
    We only lost 1 league game when he was playing. Think he's a solid addition who can still improve.
    good point .. he became an integral part of a super team .. under a great new manager !!
  • Options
    What a goal that was
    You know it’s good when fans of the top teams around Europe are drooling over it as they were on twitter/reddit at the time.

LB had us playing some really good stuff last year. Suspect we may have to go more direct at times this season.
  • Options
    Laughable and embarrassing that we have a billionaire owner and we take 38000 to Wembley compared to Rotherhams 10000 and we ask Rotherham to give us a knock down deal for him
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Im just saying is Roland not embarrassed that we have a smaller budget and we have to plead poverty to a team like Rotherham.it should be other way round. 
  • Options
    Embarrassed? No chance.
  • Options
    Im just saying is Roland not embarrassed that we have a smaller budget and we have to plead poverty to a team like Rotherham.it should be other way round. 
    For all his faults, would it be better business to go to Rotherham and say Lee really likes Ben, I wasn't going to provide much of a budget but stuff it I'm a billionaire, name your price?
  • Options
    So we all love Roland now and you’ll believe him when he says if we are in with a chance of promotion at Christmas he’ll push the boat out and buy some players for the promotion push.Then sell Lyle Taylor and not replace him. 
  • Options
    So we all love Roland now and you’ll believe him when he says if we are in with a chance of promotion at Christmas he’ll push the boat out and buy some players for the promotion push.Then sell Lyle Taylor and not replace him. 
    Wtf?! NO ONE loves Roland. No-one thinks he's doing even an adequate job. But he's never ever been any good, going cap in hand to a team like Rotherham trying to do a deal on the cheap is what he's done all along. Why get outraged when it's just the same old Two Shits nonsense yet again?
  • Options

Nothing laughable or embarrassing about our signing Purrington. Your post fits that description, however.
  • Options
    Would you pay more than you had to, to buy a car? Or negotiate as hard as you can to get the price down? Screw who the owner is, it's just good business practice!
  • Options
    Good business practice yes but should Rotherham have better budget than us really. Have your you seen there training ground.its 2 pitches and a portacabin.I'm sure you’ll all be moaning the squad ain’t big enough in a few weeks and millwall have spent more than us. Because I will. Still as our saviour says it is what it is. All I’m saying it shouldn’t be. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I liked him straight away, how he fitted in like a glove, and how the name "steady Eddie" was apt for Ben. When Purrington missed one game when he was ill, it was chaotic with Solly going to LB and struggling and being red carded.
    The unexpected thing was how he improved in an attacking sense.  I was seeing him do some really good forward movement. In his first few games Ben got a nose bleed when crossing the half way line but by the last game he was the man on the spot to rescue Dillon blushes and give Cafc the platform to push on for Victory.

Have no idea if he will cope in the championship because it depends how many flying fast right sided wing men there on.
    But it feels like a good fit and I agree he has the shirt and Lewis Page needs to stay fit to get it back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Every good team needs a Ben.

Solid, team player and improved as the season went on.

I do think people are writing off or maybe forgetting Page though.
  • Options
    Good business practice yes but should Rotherham have better budget than us really. Have your you seen there training ground.its 2 pitches and a portacabin.I'm sure you’ll all be moaning the squad ain’t big enough in a few weeks and millwall have spent more than us. Because I will. Still as our saviour says it is what it is. All I’m saying it shouldn’t be. 

2 pitches and a portacabin means they don’t need as much money to maintain there training ground as we do for Sparrows Lane...and I hope Millwall do spend a lot more than us. What LB and Gallen are doing in identifying players with quality to add for next to nothing is far better than splashing the cash on players who are no better but just increase the financial burden that is going to start destroying clubs sooner or later
  • Options
    jac52 said:
    This is an important part of football. Sometimes it isn't just what you see but what stats tell you. And winning and losing is a pretty simple and ultimately the most important stat of all.
  • Options
    Roland’s a billionaire it’s not like him buying a car it’s like him going into McDonald’s and saying can I have a 99p cheeseburger for 50p.letthegoodtimesroll I bet you do I bet when you have a bbq it’s burgers on bread and 1 bottle of them stubby french beers that give you headache before you’ve finished it. Party on 
  • Options
    So your saying Roland strategy is right all along. we sell the valley and sparrows lane.rent a couple of park pitches to train on and groundshare with millwall Then we’ll be able to compete with teams like Rotherham On a  equal budget.sounds great to me. 
  • Options
    Roland’s a billionaire it’s not like him buying a car it’s like him going into McDonald’s and saying can I have a 99p cheeseburger for 50p.letthegoodtimesroll I bet you do I bet when you have a bbq it’s burgers on bread and 1 bottle of them stubby french beers that give you headache before you’ve finished it. Party on 

• Options
    I tell you what, mate. Go and support Manchester City. They're more than happy to pay more than a player is worth.
  • Options
    I tell you what, mate. Go and support Manchester City. They're more than happy to pay more than a player is worth.

• Options
    Sorry Roland