Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Chuks Aneke - ed. Signs for Birmingham p24

Comments

• edited October 2020
    His minutes per goal this season will be less than 150. It just depends on how many minutes he gets!

Alright that means he’ll get to 30 if he plays every minute of every game. Maybe 200 was more a more accurate guesstimate. :-)
  • Was very excited when we signed him but not worked out so far.  Hope he stays fit, he is a hugely talented boy.
  • For me we can't build our team around, or the way we play, by having our best player come on in the second half.

I can't think of one team who have been long term successful by playing that way. I hope we working towards a point where he can start games as well. 
  • Everything about this season is so frustrating. Not being able to play Aneke for 90 mins is one of the most frustrating things. We look a different team when he plays. Easily best player in the league.
  • edited December 2020
    I was saying this before the start of the season. Aneke is a class apart. He has strength and quality and he knows where the goal is. We do have to find a way to getting as much time on the pitch for him as possible.

I would like to see how him and Bogle play together. We got a few minutes against Ipswich and scored a goal. Baffled as to why Bowyer isn't curious. They may not be great together, but surely you want to find out!
  • So we are in the same situation, again. Our only real game changer and scorer has his contract due to expire in a few months! 
  • Most effective attacker according to some stats. Charlton don’t play matches of 30 to 40 minutes duration once a week tho do they? That’s the zenith of his achievement in 18 months. Charlton were fishing in a hurry in a shallow pond with small hooks and little bait Chuks is the catch. 
    If he’s still swimming in our pond come August things will be very bad indeed 
    At a time when we have 1 fit centre half and none returning from injury within months our first signing is gonna be a striker We’re gonna fill Chuks place in the squad before Inniss or Famewo - significant 
  • edited December 2020
    We either get 25-30 substitute appearances out of Aneke or 15-20 starts (probably generous). Given the damage he's doing off the bench I think Bowyer's made the right call.
  • Sponsored links:

• If he stays fit he'll be at a higher level then us in League 1
  • Unless the medical department find something to suggest he is fatigued or playing will cause injury he plays. We need to play a settled side and play the next game.

Stop worrying about what might happen and worry about winning the next game. 
  • Good news. Is always been quite critical of Aneke, but he has won me over (I bet he will be well pleased to know this). He gives us such a presence. Him in tandem with Schwartz = goals and a real headache for defenders. If only we could get just get the other end of the pitch sorted.
  • Rothko said:
    If he stays fit he'll be at a higher level than League 1 with us.
    Fixed it for you.

• edited January 2021
    And yet some on here call him deadwood. 

If he stays fit then by the end of this season he will have scored more goals in L1 than Taylor has ever managed in a season in L1 or above if you don't include penalties (the best Taylor has ever managed is 13).  

Aneke is excellent, not as mobile as you would like but wonderful ability and power.  Keep him fit and he is too good for this level.
  • Sponsored links:

• A championship club will take a gamble and offer him more. Unless we get promotion I don't think he'll be with us next season 
  • edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Unless the medical department find something to suggest he is fatigued or playing will cause injury he plays. We need to play a settled side and play the next game.

We were told last year that Aneke's body couldn't cope with the increased intensity of our training, which had gone up a level after our promotion to the Championship.

Now it's all very well trying to squeeze the pips and somehow get the extra 1% or 10% or whatever.
    But it was plain to see this appeared to be the problem.

So I ask, does Chuks actually need to train with increased intensity or even play at 100% during matches?

If he just leads the line economising his effort, conserving his energy for short bursts and not chasing down lost causes - then perhaps he has more chance of playing more minutes? After all, he's often unplayable in possession. And there's players like Washington and Little Smyth to defend from the front and put in the hard yards.

Bowyer would surely have a stroke at the very thought. All those tackles going unmade! No way does he ever approve that.
  • A championship club will take a gamble and offer him more. Unless we get promotion I don't think he'll be with us next season 
    If he stays fit this season and scores goals, he'll be in the Championship next season, whether with us or someone else. If we don't go up our best chance of keeping him is if his fitness record for the rest of the season isn't very good...

I can't see the point of starting contract talks with him in February, as in his situation surely he'll want to wait until the summer. Especially as we can't offer him in L1 the sort of contract that would want to make him resign anyway
    If he stays fit this season and scores goals, he'll be in the Championship next season, whether with us or someone else. If we don't go up our best chance of keeping him is if his fitness record for the rest of the season isn't very good...

I can't see the point of starting contract talks with him in February, as in his situation surely he'll want to wait until the summer. Especially as we can't offer him in L1 the sort of contract that would want to make him resign anyway
    6 months is a long time in football, especially with Chuks injury record. I just hope he doesn’t sign a pre-contract anywhere as that could seriously distract him. 
  • mart77 said:
    A championship club will take a gamble and offer him more. Unless we get promotion I don't think he'll be with us next season 

6 months is a long time in football, especially with Chuks injury record. I just hope he doesn’t sign a pre-contract anywhere as that could seriously distract him. 
    I doubt anyone will offer him a pre-contract. With his fitness/injury issues he will be unlikely to be offered anything without going through a proper physii/fitness check first.
  • If we could somehow get him consistently starting, and even finishing games, that would be incredible. The way he can bring down a ball, have it under control and then be past a man is a special talent. 
    if he's doing this then he's not playing for us in L1....he was unplayable the other night
  • And yet some on here call him deadwood. 

If he stays fit then by the end of this season he will have scored more goals in L1 than Taylor has ever managed in a season in L1 or above if you don't include penalties (the best Taylor has ever managed is 13).  

Aneke is excellent, not as mobile as you would like but wonderful ability and power.  Keep him fit and he is too good for this level.
    Who calls him that ? He’s talented - most people’s issue with him is his lack of fitness.  
  • That doesn't make much sense to me. Aneke is our star player at the moment, try and get him signed up so he's with us next season asap. 

Otherwise what will happen is we'll delay, and with little chance of promotion anyway and he'll be off