Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Lockyer - collapsed again at Bournemouth, recovering in hospital (p23)

Comments

• He’s alright - nothing special and I think is replaceable 
  • edited August 2020
    Yep gave his all throughout the season. The entire season. Unlike some. Good luck to him. 
  •  shine166 said:
    Phillips and lockyer to blame for relegation... where do we get these dickheads from ? 
    In fairness the poster has specifically stated “not blaming relegation on him”. 

Like every keeper Phillips does make mistakes. It is unfortunate that a couple of them directly cost us points. He’s well in credit though as he’s won us more with some great games. Anyone who would be happy to see him go is an idiot. 

Having said that, under normal circumstances I would have accepted him going in order to fund some signings as Amos is good enough. 

Obviously I’m dreaming, but we got Barclay, go up and who would you want in goal 2021/2022 season in the Champ? Easy one that. 
  • edited August 2020
     shine166 said:
    Phillips and lockyer to blame for relegation... where do we get these dickheads from ? 

Like every keeper Phillips does make mistakes. It is unfortunate that a couple of them directly cost us points. He’s well in credit though as he’s won us more with some great games. Anyone who would be happy to see him go is an idiot. 

Having said that, under normal circumstances I would have accepted him going in order to fund some signings as Amos is good enough. 

Obviously I’m dreaming, but we got Barclay, go up and who would you want in goal 2021/2022 season in the Champ? Easy one that. 
    Really? 

'His and Philips mistakes are the reason we dropped points at the end and that lead us going down'

• I like Tom. Good player but expected him to be a bit better on the ball. He's on par with Pearce on that front.
  • shine166 said:
     shine166 said:

Really? 

'His and Philips mistakes are the reason we dropped points at the end and that lead us going down'

Accurate to be fair, such as Phillips' mistake against Millwall. Cost us a point or points at such a crucial stage. 

Not easy because of the Covid delay but you have to take the season into account. 
  • All players make mistakes.

Every Charlton player makes mistakes whenever they’re playing Millwall.

Phillips and Lockyer have a better chance of playing in the Championship next season than we do and the majority of our squad.
  • edited August 2020
    shine166 said:
     shine166 said:

Really? 

Accurate to be fair, such as Phillips' mistake against Millwall. Cost us a point or points at such a crucial stage. 

Not easy because of the Covid delay but you have to take the season into account. 
    Phillips earned far more points than he cost us. Maybe do take the whole season into account then and not just the final 9 games if that's what you're saying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• without Phillips and Lockyer we'd have been in alot more trouble earlier on, our defence will be alot weaker without either in it
  • Can you remember how defensively poor we was when Lockyer was suspended?. The reason for relegation wasnt anyone in defensive positions, it was due to lack of goals at critical times and failure of the midfielders who ended the season unable to add goals.
  • I thought he was a good defender. I was incredibly frustrated with him in possession, I honestly believe he probably had the most touches out of the whole team last season and arguably did less with it than anyone.

He should get a championship contract. Probably as a squad player for anyone other than those again fighting relegation. I actually wouldn't be surprised if his market value isn't as high as he thinks and we come up against him again next season in league one.

Would have liked for him to stay, not heartbroken to see him leave.
  • Modern football , players play a season and seems like he’s been here for ages .
    The shittier we get the better the players who are ok get 
    oh for the times of being a shit team staying up in the second tier .
  • Lockyer was fine, a perfectly ok Championship level defender but nothing special. His distribution is poor though, and sometimes his temperament lets him down, hence the unacceptable number of bookings for dissent
  • shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
     shine166 said:

Really? 

Phillips earned far more points than he cost us. Maybe do take the whole season into account then and not just the final 9 games if that's what you're saying. 
    As above - “He’s well in credit though as he’s won us more with some great games”
  • without Phillips and Lockyer we'd have been in alot more trouble earlier on, our defence will be alot weaker without either in it
    That’s true although last time in League 1 Amos was superb, particularly when Bowyer took over from Robinson. It’s not the position we’d need to be concerned about even if Phillips leaves. 
  • that's true and makes me think that Amos will be our No 1 - no issues with that although would rather Dillon stayed, They will cash in on Phillips surely.
  •  shine166 said:

What makes Phillips such a good keeper is that he makes fewer than other keepers, which is why he was Player of the Season, and why he’s so in demand. 
    Of course keepers making mistakes leads to goals, leading to dropped points. Name of the game. It seems to be a Charlton thing, digging out our keepers, when our keepers have historically been way above the quality we should expect for a club of our size. 
  • Philips was player of the season because he was the one and only player to come out of this dire season with any credit as the rest of the squad was so poor or a part season loanee or didn't finish the season
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
     shine166 said:

What makes Phillips such a good keeper is that he makes fewer than other keepers, which is why he was Player of the Season, and why he’s so in demand. 
    Of course keepers making mistakes leads to goals, leading to dropped points. Name of the game. It seems to be a Charlton thing, digging out our keepers, when our keepers have historically been way above the quality we should expect for a club of our size. 
    Not quite sure I agree with that. I think he's made a few this season, and did the same last season. However, over the course of the season we should forgive him for those mistakes because he was fantastic apart from them. 

You say it's a "Charlton thing", but I've seen very few fans "digging" him out. Pointing out that he's not absolutely flawless isn't digging him out at all. 
  • Decent CB but I think Sarr is a far bigger loss. Sadly, some of you will always never rate him.
    Sarr is our best CB by a mile.
    Agreed.

Pearce is ferocious but cumbersome and slow to react. He will run through walls for his team. Reads defensive play better than the others.  
    Lockyer was steady, but wasted possession often with long balls forward and a couple of times put Phillips under undue pressure with sloppy back passes. 
    Sarr was brave to make tackles others wouldn't dream of and he won them 9 times out of 10, he read attacking play well and could deliver laser guided long balls to the attack. 

Oshilaja.... Well he's not a CB, or a RB, or a LB but let's keep him at RB now AM has gone. 
    Pratley... Could develop as a CB now he doesn't have the pace to be box to box or even DM enforcer.

The thought of this back 4 terrifies me for their slow pace, but they could dominate for strength in League 1:

POshilaja | Pratley | Pearce | Purrington
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Decent CB but I think Sarr is a far bigger loss. Sadly, some of you will always never rate him.
    Agreed.

Pearce is ferocious but cumbersome and slow to react. He will run through walls for his team. Reads defensive play better than the others.  
    Lockyer was steady, but wasted possession often with long balls forward and a couple of times put Phillips under undue pressure with sloppy back passes. 
    Sarr was brave to make tackles others wouldn't dream of and he won them 9 times out of 10, he read attacking play well and could deliver laser guided long balls to the attack. 

Oshilaja.... Well he's not a CB, or a RB, or a LB but let's keep him at RB now AM has gone. 
    Pratley... Could develop as a CB now he doesn't have the pace to be box to box or even DM enforcer.

The thought of this back 4 terrifies me for their slow pace, but they could dominate for strength in League 1:

Would be a good nickname if he was born in Knightsbridge, but he's from dirty Bermondsey!
  • JamesSeed said:
     It seems to be a Charlton thing, digging out our keepers, when our keepers have historically been way above the quality we should expect for a club of our size. 
    Agreed. In the last 10-15 years or so we've had "home grown" keepers such as Rob Elliott, Darren Randolph, Nick Pope (partially home grown) and now Dillon Phillips come through the ranks and all seem to get the same treatment.

The first three all have gone on to much better things whilst we flounder around in our own misery.  And I'm sure the same will happen to Dillon. good luck to him. Good luck to them all. Much better off well out of it. Just wish I could fuck off too.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Decent CB but I think Sarr is a far bigger loss. Sadly, some of you will always never rate him.
    Agreed.

We won't have that back 4 this season. 

We'll either have the embargo lifted and be able to sign players again before the window closes or...the makeup of our back 4 will be dwarfed by bigger issues...
  • New video on the Charlton Instagram story shows Tom Lockyer in training today.
  • New video on the Charlton Instagram story shows Tom Lockyer in training today.
    To be expected I suppose. He is still our player (not out of contract) and unless someone comes in for him he will be starting for us in 2 weeks time.
  • do we know who Lockyer and Matthews are training with?
  • You'd think that having "handed in his notice" that he's got something else lined up - It just cant be announced due the terms of his deal at present with us

Would be like me or you resigning from our current role because we're confident of finding something else yet then going back to our current employer before the month is up because we couldnt find anywhere

I would be delighted but very surprised if it isnt the case