Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tom Lockyer - collapsed again at Bournemouth, recovering in hospital (p23)

Comments

• So it begins...who’s next...?
  • Literally beyond belief that you'd agree to insert a clause letting an under contract first team regular go on a free. 
    He came to us on a "free" and has left on a "free". 

What bargaining power did we have when he joined us? Sound financial footing? The offer of a 5 year contract? Massive imminent strengthening of the squad? 

Who in their right mind and is worth anything would want to stay and play for us right now? A club where the fans and players don't even know who the actual owners are and could go bust at any time.

I'm not questioning him wanting to leave. Wouldn't blame anyone for that.

But no one is going to convince me that inserting a clause whereby a first team regular can leave on a free is anything but ridiculous.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Not that fussed.

He's been pretty consistent but as per most of our side, he hasn't been good enough for the Championship.
    More than capable at league one level though
    For sure. But if he wants away then so be it.

I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here. I don't want anyone here who just wants a quick buck.
    I think you're misunderstanding the point.

I don't blame anyone for wanting away from this mess, i don't blame the player for wanting a release clause inserted and i certainly wouldn't be too fussed if we sold him.

BUT..........someone inserting a clause saying he can leave on a free is an absolute fucking piss take.
    Well he obviously requested it.
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't see the problem.

If we did get a fee for him the money would only go in ESI's back pocket.
      Exactly.  I hope Farnell and Elliot to hell that Grant money collapses or get's delayed.  I think Lockyer's been superb and committed.  Not saying he should get a bang on top 6 side but he should sign for a team like Preston who challenge.  Good luck Tom.
  • Dazzler21 said: I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here. 
    Sorry but you’re stuck with me 
    Deep down we stay because we love the way it hurts.
  • Literally beyond belief that you'd agree to insert a clause letting an under contract first team regular go on a free. 

What bargaining power did we have when he joined us? Sound financial footing? The offer of a 5 year contract? Massive imminent strengthening of the squad? 

Who in their right mind and is worth anything would want to stay and play for us right now? A club where the fans and players don't even know who the actual owners are and could go bust at any time.

But no one is going to convince me that inserting a clause whereby a first team regular can leave on a free is anything but ridiculous.
    He signed on a “ free” and wanted to protect himself and with that clause he has ...
    And, although he won't be on big money, it protects the club from paying championship wages in league 1.  I bet Sunderland wished they had a few contracts like that. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said: I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here. 
    Nah, we're addicts chasing the next high.
  • I’m not sure many, if any, Championship teams will take him. 

Think he will end up going Ipswich or somewhere.
    On a free with the wages we pay, he could easily get a gig at somewhere like Luton or Barnsley or Coventry or Rotherham.

He'll want a championship side so he can make the Wales squad.
    Oh I’m sure that’s what he wants.

I don’t think he’s a bad player, I just think he’s really struggled performance wise for a while now. Personally think Championship forwards are too clever for him, let alone international ones.

Normally I would agree but if you think of the hand Bowyer and Gallen where playing with last summer, it must if been a case of needs must to insert the clause to get him in. We wouldn't have had many options. 
    That's a fair point. It just pisses me off.

We moan (and rightly so) when the club don't offer decent contracts and players like Bauer and Aribo leave on a free when their contracts are up, but now we're perfectly ok with a first team regular who is UNDER CONTRACT leaving on a free.

Everything about this club apart from its fans is an absolute fucking farce.
    Agreed mate. Fucking farce and it’s got to a point I’m beyond caring about it 
  • Sponsored links:

Normally I would agree but if you think of the hand Bowyer and Gallen where playing with last summer, it must if been a case of needs must to insert the clause to get him in. We wouldn't have had many options. 
    That's a fair point. It just pisses me off.

We moan (and rightly so) when the club don't offer decent contracts and players like Bauer and Aribo leave on a free when their contracts are up, but now we're perfectly ok with a first team regular who is UNDER CONTRACT leaving on a free.

Everything about this club apart from its fans is an absolute fucking farce.
    Installing a relegation release clause on a player from a struggling League One side to an expected relegation batting Championship side is a fucking farce, I agree.
  • I wonder when that Clause gets activated?

Say Lockyer joins Cardiff on a free next week and Sheffield Wednesday were to get a points deduction (I'm not holding out hope)

Well we stay up so Lockyer shouldnt have been allowed to join another club on a free?
  • aliwibble said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said: I don't want anyone here that doesn't want to be here. 
    Nah, we're addicts chasing the next high.
    We need better drugs.
  • Canny agent he has there, can't believe he managed to negotiate that!
    Lockyer and Pearce would have been a top League One centre-back pairing, now it's just another player to replace, without any means to replace him at present.
  • The only "relegation" clause in a player's contract should be a wages reduction commensurate with the new division.

If a player isn't prepared to hang around if the club goes down they should do better to help keep them up.

At the start of the season Lockyer's performances were BFG-esque but in recent weeks there have been so many errors that have contributed to our relegation.
    Slightly agree but harsh. Over the course of the season if everybody had put in Lockyer's effort and played aswell as him then we wouldn't have gone down. 

Say Lockyer joins Cardiff on a free next week and Sheffield Wednesday were to get a points deduction (I'm not holding out hope)

Well we stay up so Lockyer shouldnt have been allowed to join another club on a free?
    With the madness of this division, that scenario can't be ruled out

And while I expect him to activate the clause, it doesn't 100% mean he will do so, if the offers he gets elsewhere are rubbish
  • Thank you Duchatelet, for yet another brilliant piece of contract negotiation. Lockyer has been one of our best performers this season and there's no question in my mind that he'll get a decent Championship gig.

With the madness of this division, that scenario can't be ruled out

And while I expect him to activate the clause, it doesn't 100% mean he will do so, if the offers he gets elsewhere are rubbish
    If wages take a hammering across the board he may well not even get what he is on with us.  I mean stranger things have happened.