Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

We’ve only gone and bloody done it again!!!! (2019 Playoff Final).

Comments

• Options
    Will always watch that when I'm feeling shit. Always does the trick.
  • Options
    So wonderful ... ALWAYS gets me .... that wave of hope after so many years of garbage, and @golfaddick you're right, the team got stripped, Roland had his last swipe at us and we just couldn't not conceded in the last few minutes of games and ultimately we went under. 

Will the post event happenings of this moment eventually lead to something positive for Charlton, I certainly hope so. 

• Options
    MattF said:
    I think too much is being made of this. Yeah  great at the time but what did it actually achieve.....??  Very little I would say. 1 season in the Championship, which led to a set of dodgy owners & another bunch of chances who nearly succeeded in making us go bust. 

Now, if we had managed to stay up last season & consolidated our position this season then great....job done. But we are worse off than we were 2 sessions ago. Some bloody achievement that. 
    Don’t ever change Golfie.
    😂
  • Options
    MattF said:
    I think too much is being made of this. Yeah  great at the time but what did it actually achieve.....??  Very little I would say. 1 season in the Championship, which led to a set of dodgy owners & another bunch of chances who nearly succeeded in making us go bust. 

Now, if we had managed to stay up last season & consolidated our position this season then great....job done. But we are worse off than we were 2 sessions ago. Some bloody achievement that. 
    Could say the same about the previous final. We went up for one year only and Sunderland even went past us but we built on that win and hopefully the same will happen if not this year then next
  • Options
    Okay Google show me a picture that paints a thousand words.

• Options
    McCartney said:
    MattF said:

Could say the same about the previous final. We went up for one year only and Sunderland even went past us but we built on that win and hopefully the same will happen if not this year then next
    I think the situations are different.  That one first season in the Premiership gave us a pot of cash, a bunch of new/returning fans, a tidy profit on Danny Mills (allowing us to keep other players and buy Deano).  If you lined up the 97-98 and 99-00 teams against each other, firstly many of the key players would be the same, and secondly with Deano, SCP, Stuart, Hunt etc the 99-00 has clearly improved.

Now do the same with 18-19 and 20-21.  Surely you'd take Bauer, Sarr, Cullen, Aribo, Bielik, (hiss) Taylor over their current counterparts?  We have regressed, but hopefully not for long...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    McCartney said:
    MattF said:

I think the situations are different.  That one first season in the Premiership gave us a pot of cash, a bunch of new/returning fans, a tidy profit on Danny Mills (allowing us to keep other players and buy Deano).  If you lined up the 97-98 and 99-00 teams against each other, firstly many of the key players would be the same, and secondly with Deano, SCP, Stuart, Hunt etc the 99-00 has clearly improved.

Now do the same with 18-19 and 20-21.  Surely you'd take Bauer, Sarr, Cullen, Aribo, Bielik, (hiss) Taylor over their current counterparts?  We have regressed, but hopefully not for long...
     Absolutely.

However, we are then reminded how much those lot underperformed, especially as we're in touching distance of the playoffs again this season when this lot have underachieved.
  • Options
    MattF said:

Its certainly bitter sweet for me as it does just make me think what a horrible missed opportunity. Imagine if we had kept that squad together and with a small investment in the right areas we really could have powered on with real momentum. Imagine if we didn't have the thundercunt as owner and then the conman and fake Sheik. 

But then I just think back to how amazing the day was. Infact that whole month was amazing, the run we went on at the end of the season, the atmosphere about the place, the 2 semi's, the sold out valley, the sold out allocation at Wembley, the night out after, going back to Streatham (firmly Palarse territory) at 3:30am and seeing other people in Charlton shirts! Just truly incredible
  • Options
    JJ Moons before the game was amazing. A large pub full of Charlton, Id never experienced that before. Lots of drink and chants, its the reason I was a tad drunk during the game!
  • Options
    MattF said:

Harsh, but I do sort of agree

The playoff final was a wonderful day, but it's not like winning a cup competition, which will be forever yours whatever happens in subsequent seasons, as at the end of the day playoffs are just a means of deciding the final promotion place. They're not a separate competition like the FA Cup, EFL Cup or even the Pizza Cup.

And it's not as if bringing us up to the Championship took us somewhere special (as with say Wycombe winning the playoffs last year or even with the 1998 win), the Championship is our natural level anyway

And looking at the playoff team is a reminder of how badly it fell apart afterwards, seeing that of the 18, only 4 players are left
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    It was the most exciting game we've had in years and our first game at the new Wembley. 

Can you not just try to enjoy things?
    He’s just off on another one of his EVERYONE LOOK AT ME.....wind-ups Dazzler.
    Man’s an attention seeking cretin.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    First time I've ever noticed the importance of Pearce's part in the goal. I spent the last two years thinking his "block" happened by accident...
  • Options
    Carter said:
    Watching the last 15 seconds of that never fails to get me. Takes me straight back there, like everyone else with a pulse in our end I went utterly mental when Bauer poked the ball home (I thought it was Pearce at the time) but it was who I was going mental with, usually its me and my pals all hugging each other and grabbing balls, this time it was with my dad, my wife and my brother which is what those occasions are about. 

Also the genuine pleasure of seeing the regular faces out of our normal group dynamic, it was great at halftime to see @AFKABartram his little boy and dad which enabled the pair of us to do what we normally do at halftime and have a surprisingly intelligent discussion about the 45 minutes we had just seen. I had been boycotting for a loooong time but watching more games than I usually would on moody streams and felt we were edging it on points, I was delighted Power had to go off which I think really affected Sunderland as one of their main men and affected their shape and I was concerned Prattley was going to get sent off as he was so amped up. 

The clip that gets me most is the one with the titanic music overlaid with Greg and Terrys commentary and the pair of them crying like the gigantic manbabies they both are (and like the rest of us!) 

Each to their own.
  • Options
    The main thing that gets me about that video now, apart from the fact I love it, is how few of the people in the video are actually still associated with Charlton. There's Purrington and Pearce, but other than that pretty much all the players celebrating have left. I really want that to change, I know that teams move around a fair bit in the lower leagues but it would nice to have a few years of continuity from our core players again
    I know......they all celebrated getting promoted & then half of them left a few weeks later - notably the bloke who scored the last minute winner  !!  
  • Options
    A lot has happened since that fine day oot. 
  • Options
    It was a great day out and great end to the season but in comparison to the 98 final and what it enabled the club to do, it is relatively insignificant 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    It was a great day out and great end to the season but in comparison to the 98 final and what it enabled the club to do, it is relatively insignificant 
    St Andrews in '87 eclipses the lot.