Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Stephen Henderson - officially appointed Men's 1st team goalkeeping coach (p4)

Comments

• Ben Amos, Jed Steer and Dillon Phillips are proof of the vast improvement in our keepers since the days of Stephen Henderson.
  • Ben Amos, Jed Steer and Dillon Phillips are proof of the vast improvement in our keepers since the days of Stephen Henderson.
    Stop letting facts get in the way of us signing players just because they played for us once. 
  • Amos is presumably on a free this summer too and I preferred him to Henderson.

That said, Phillips undoubtedly deserves to start as number 1 next year and neither of those two would want to come as a back up (even if they wanted to anyway).

• I wouldn't take him back, presumably big wages, he has hit his ceiling in my eyes and is injury prone. We need a keeper on the up to push Phillips game who is our No1 
  • What's Thuram up to these days?
  • And Mike Salmon, let's bring him back.
  • I wouldn't take him back, presumably big wages, he has hit his ceiling in my eyes and is injury prone. We need a keeper on the up to push Phillips game who is our No1 
    We need either a reliable No 2 who's happy to play second fiddle but is good enough to keep Dillon on his toes OR a talented young keeper to push Dillon, who will be happy to start as No 2

I think that needs to be made clear to whoever we bring in, that they're not going to be No 1 unless Dillon loses form or is injured.
  • Whats Andy Petterson up to these days?
  • We should get this bloke back on loan as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McDonagh
  • Sponsored links:

• Move on 
  • Don't need him. Let's stop the obsession of signing ex-players.
    Henderson was keeper in the season that we (he) conceded three or more goals in each of ten games.  It was he and Jackson who grassed up Tony Watt and got him bounced out of the club.
    Grassed up TW for what??
  • He’s become a nigel.
  • We should get this bloke back on loan as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_McDonagh
    I am sure this guy played for us, think it was a testimonial at sellout Park, sure he saved a pen as well.  He is available 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindsay_Hamilton
    Vast improvement?

Henderson was good in a bad team.

Other than his fitness he did a good job for us and in a higher division.
    He was good in a good team in his 1st season..... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ben Amos, Jed Steer and Dillon Phillips are proof of the vast improvement in our keepers since the days of Stephen Henderson.
    Vast improvement?

he was.

Not good enough for us according to some on here but ok for a premier league team
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Ben Amos, Jed Steer and Dillon Phillips are proof of the vast improvement in our keepers since the days of Stephen Henderson.
    Vast improvement?

he was.

Not good enough for us according to some on here but ok for a premier league team
    He will be up in the stands with the cheerleaders for most of the season. If he stays fit for 20 minutes he might get lucky and a splinter or two. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Vast improvement?

he was.

The same was said about every keeper that has left us recently.
    Henderson was keeper in the season that we (he) conceded three or more goals in each of ten games.  It was he and Jackson who grassed up Tony Watt and got him bounced out of the club.
    What did they say about Tony Watt?
  • Sponsored links:

• Definitely time to move on now. 
  • Indeed......I doubt there is another club in the history of the game who has released/ transferred so many goalkeepers who have then gone on to establish themselves at a higher level in the game.......it’s quite bewildering to be honest as well as costly and somewhat embarrassing. Just why this continues to happen should be looked into.
    I have lost count!

I, and I suspect most readers on here, won’t have the slightest idea WTF you’re talking about and I also notice you haven’t explained yourself, despite several posters asking you to.
    As it stands, you are simply being a shit stirrer.
    Whatever the reason was that Tony Watt left us and if it was as a result of some wrongdoing or disruptive behaviour on his part that was passed on to management, it was a god send, his departure was long overdue.
    Calling JJ a grass deserves a kick in the arse fella......wasn’t he Captain at the time?
    The speed with which people jump all over anyone who makes a comment out of line makes the expression of a grass look as out dated as the Sweeney. If Watt was out of order he needed to put matters right himself or be called out. Pandering to those who have done wrong out of some sort of loyalty never ends well.

By calling JJ a grass is admission that there was a victim to whatever happened. 
     Who was more deserving of JJ’s loyalty?
  • edited July 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Don't need him. Let's stop the obsession of signing ex-players.
    I, and I suspect most readers on here, won’t have the slightest idea WTF you’re talking about and I also notice you haven’t explained yourself, despite several posters asking you to.
    As it stands, you are simply being a shit stirrer.
    Whatever the reason was that Tony Watt left us and if it was as a result of some wrongdoing or disruptive behaviour on his part that was passed on to management, it was a god send, his departure was long overdue.
    Calling JJ a grass deserves a kick in the arse fella......wasn’t he Captain at the time?
    The speed with which people jump all over anyone who makes a comment out of line makes the expression of a grass look as out dated as the Sweeney. If Watt was out of order he needed to put matters right himself or be called out. Pandering to those who have done wrong out of some sort of loyalty never ends well.

By calling JJ a grass is admission that there was a victim to whatever happened. 
     Who was more deserving of JJ’s loyalty?
    Well put Sir......and as much to the point, we still don’t know WTF it was all about in the first place.......if indeed it’s even true?
  • edited July 2019
    Indeed......I doubt there is another club in the history of the game who has released/ transferred so many goalkeepers who have then gone on to establish themselves at a higher level in the game.......it’s quite bewildering to be honest as well as costly and somewhat embarrassing. Just why this continues to happen should be looked into.
    I have lost count!

It's probably a combination of the uniqueness in the position, most of them have actually left us to be number 2s at a bigger club, with mixed long term results. 

Also let's not forget that for most of the last 15 years the club has been a basket case.  4 ownerships, 14 managers and at least 20 diffrent goal keepers.    I am not sure how other positions compare in turnover but a lot of people were/are supprised at the relative success others such as Hudson, Francis, McCormack and Fox had when they left us.

But I think in the round we have recruited brilliantly with goal keepers in the that period, managed some badly and retained/disposed of them awfully.  I don't think it's a problem unique to Roland's Charlton.  It seems to pre date him as well. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Indeed......I doubt there is another club in the history of the game who has released/ transferred so many goalkeepers who have then gone on to establish themselves at a higher level in the game.......it’s quite bewildering to be honest as well as costly and somewhat embarrassing. Just why this continues to happen should be looked into.
    I have lost count!

It's probably a combination of the uniqueness in the position, most of them have actually left us to be number 2s at a bigger club, with mixed long term results. 

Also let's not forget that for most of the last 15 years the club has been a basket case.  4 ownerships, 14 managers and at least 20 diffrent goal keepers.    I am not sure how other positions compare in turnover but a lot of people were/are supprised at the relative success others such as Hudson, Francis, McCormack and Fox had when they left us.

But I think in the round we have recruited brilliantly with goal keepers in the that period, managed some badly and retained/disposed of them awfully.  I don't think it's a problem unique to Roland's Charlton.  It seems to pre date him as well. 
    Agree.....but I wouldn’t mind betting we are easily the current champions in the goalkeeping turnover stakes.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I have lost count!

Agree.....but I wouldn’t mind betting we are easily the current champions in the goalkeeping turnover stakes.
    As an experiment I have just counted the center backs we have used for the last 15 years. I have 45.  I know I have missed at least 1, the hapless lad from Middlesbrough.  I haven't included people like Pratley, Jacko or Cousins who may have filled in their but have included the likes of Diarra and El Kakouri.  My list Starts with Rufus, finishes with Bielik but in the middle there is a real mixture of the good, the bad and the bloody useless. 

I haven't included Cory Gibbs for obvious reasons. 

My conclusion.  Goal keepers aren't an exception chopping and changing managers and 5 promotions and relegations means we have never had a stable squad for more than 18 months durining that time. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have lost count!

As an experiment I have just counted the center backs we have used for the last 15 years. I have 45.  I know I have missed at least 1, the hapless lad from Middlesbrough.  I haven't included people like Pratley, Jacko or Cousins who may have filled in their but have included the likes of Diarra and El Kakouri.  My list Starts with Rufus, finishes with Bielik but in the middle there is a real mixture of the good, the bad and the bloody useless. 

My conclusion.  Goal keepers aren't an exception chopping and changing managers and 5 promotions and relegations means we have never had a stable squad for more than 18 months durining that time. 

That’s the reality now for most clubs outside the PL though. How many of the Doncaster team we played in May will still be there next season for example?

The Bosman ruling has also encouraged this, with players regularly moving on after short contracts expire.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I have lost count!

That’s the reality now for most clubs outside the PL though. How many of the Doncaster team we played in May will still be there next season for example?

The Bosman ruling has also encouraged this, with players regularly moving on after short contracts expire.
    It has, but I doubt you would see as much churn if we were more consistent.  In the 15 season I looked at I think it was 4 in the prem, 2 in the champ, 3 in league 1, 3 in the champ, 3 in league 1.  It also included

The horrible rebuild under Dowie. 
    Boom or bust under Pardew. 
    Parkinson begging and borrow what he could. 
    Powell trying unteen diffrent players, loans and short term contracts before his massive summer rebuild.
    The "network" experiment. 
    The stupidity of RDs 3rd January window.

That was before the 3 years of almost normality you have described above.  In contrast to us Ipswich spent all of those 15 years in the same divison.  I suspect their churn, in any position, isn't as much as ours.