Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

IGOR - Gone West(erlo) p.10

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Sage said:
    Sage said:
    sam3110 said:
    According to Instagram his wife and kids have moved out to their home in Malaga for the summer, so I doubt Igor is going to play again this season (and don't be surprised if he joins a second division team in the Malaga region in the summer)
    Igor is with them. And I agree, I think that’s him done now. Although they went to Malaga last summer so I believe that’s just their summer home, don’t read into it as him going out there to play.
    Since it is you writing that, I've got to let go of the hope I had that he might be on the bench Friday and so likely to be available if we got to Wembley. Gutted for us and for him. Do you know more about his injury, and how it happened? And in your opinion, is he "injury prone" and if so do you have an opinion on why? I mean, are there any patterns in players who are seen as  "injury prone"? 

Oh well. I take heart from watching Parker yesterday. He didn't let anybody down, and I hope he himself gained confidence from his contribution
    Unfortunately with all the bits of information we can gather, it does look as though he won’t make it even if we get to Wembley. Personally I am surprised, because unless he has torn one of his quadriceps or pulled it too badly, I would have thought a couple of weeks out and he will be back in training. I don’t see any reason why the club would let him travel to southern Spain if they thought he would make it, they’d have him on the machines and in the recovery sleeves to help what Bowyer has called, “healing time”. So on that basis, and I haven’t been told anything, it looks as though we have seen the last of Vetokele. However, and I know it seems as though I am sitting on the fence, but unless they have made the collective decision that the warm weather can aid his recovery and he comes back next week if we progress to the final. 

Bowyer said that on the Thursday before Rochdale at home they were doing a finishing session, Igor felt his quads tighten up and had to go in and not able to finish the session.

Do I believe he is injury prone? No is the answer. I don’t like the term injury prone for starters as I believe it is all about rehabilitation and ensuring you have the correct ratio in strength between dynamic and stabilisers for example. No athlete should ever get a hamstring injury for example, never, but it’s one of the most common because they do not have to correct ratio, often their quads are far too strong and hamstrings far too weak. That can also cause an injury in both sets of muscles. Hamstrings should in fact be stronger than quads, but in footballers, that mainly is not the case. I do believe he has had previous poor treatment on historical injuries which has not helped him at all. We know he was made to play through his achilles injury when he first was here, but what we don’t know is the level and quality of treatment he received when he was out on loan.

There is no argument that he has had a variety of different injuries, achilles, pubis, shoulder dislocation, and now this quad. He has had an operation on at least two of those injuries. Do I think there is more to it than just being unlucky and unfortunate? Yes, I do. But I don’t think injury prone is correct.

It seems as though Vetokele could do with a strict plan, both diet and training, but the training must be completed with someone qualified, and not to be left to train alone. Igor seems a bright and intelligent man, but athletes often do not do the correct things or they do too much of specific things and they get injured that way. If he was not to play for us again, I wish him all the best, and I hope he gets the correct plan to develop his fitness and strength before doing anything football and sport specific. He needs a whole macro, meso and microcycle plan.

Patterns with players who are injured more regularly? If I’d have to give an answer, I’d have to say yes. The pattern being these players are probably not the most naturally fit, they may not have the most athletic genes, but Cullen for example we have been told is naturally a fit player, he is lucky he has good genes. I would be keen to know if there is a correlation between players who are injured more regularly and if they ever had an injury growing up and what type of treatment did they receive. As I said, for me it is all about rehabilitation and as much as some people may think what they like about the medical team here at Charlton, it is very good, but only part of the job is done at the training ground, what if these players do not put in the work in their own time? The other factor to consider is when a player is injured, do they work on other parts of their body, or do they compensate? Do they only work on the area of which they’re injured? I do think there is a pattern hidden somewhere, and if someone can find that pattern and can identify where things need to specifically be improved, they’d make a lot of money and help a lot of athletes across a range of sports.

Hope that answered your questions enough, @PragueAddick
    Very interesting Sage, I was talking to a physiotherapist a few weeks ago and he was saying that footballers don’t get taught to run properly, and if they were, they would be faster, have better muscle balance and pick up fewer injuries. 

Do you agree the faster bit? The rest I guess is pretty much what you are saying?
    Completely agree. Biomechanically most footballers are not correct or aligned. That has a big influence. There is a lot of scientific research that suggests we shouldn’t really be coaching football specific skills and training as much as we do until the age of around 12-14. Before that we should be teaching them how to do things correctly. Learning the right technique for running would make players better athletes and ultimately reduce the risk of injuries longer term.
  • Options
    Fantastic post @Sage, hope everyone has found it as educative and thought -provoking as I do.
    Thanks mate, we all have knowledge that we can pass on.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:
    Fantastic post @Sage, hope everyone has found it as educative and thought -provoking as I do.
    I was going to type Son of Hasselbaink and leave it at that but @Sage has certainly given me food for thought.

I've never doubted Igor's ability but he has never seemed the fittest to me even when playing well.
    There is almost certainly a reason for that, and unfortunately for us and for Igor, I think he was just getting into a condition where his fitness was improving and he was getting better. But something needs working on to give him a chance of the best possible career he can get. As said, injury prone is not correct. He of course needs some luck, but also a full examination and programme I would assume.
  • Options
    Don’t get why he hasn’t had that. Shame for Charlton and for him if he doesn’t have a swan song. 

Wouldnt re-sign him anyway but would have been good to see him go out on a high. 
  • Options
    I'd re-sign him. Got scoring goals again before his injuries.

He had 5 goals and 5 assists from his 25 appearances this season. 

3 goals and 1 assist came since KAG went. 

2 of those were against Luton and Scunthorpe (as was the assist) so in the last few games, but his work rate like Parker's has been outstanding.
  • Options
    So we agree he is injury prone
  • Options
    I'd give him one more season and a very rigorous training regime
  • Options
    If we get Pompey in the final we may want Ajose back, They are the only team he scores against!
  • Options
    If we get Pompey in the final we may want Ajose back, They are the only team he scores against!
    Because of his loan, I believe Ajose isn't eligible to play for us again this season.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

2 of those were against Luton and Scunthorpe (as was the assist) so in the last few games, but his work rate like Parker's has been outstanding.
    Not worth it unless he took a significant salary cut
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2019
    I know it was a tongue in cheek comment but he was not even starter for Mansfield! And he is the striker who said he would have scored as many as Grant if he had the same playing time.
  • Options
    Kap10 said:
    I know it was a tongue in cheek comment but he was not even starter for Mansfield! And he is the striker who said he would have scored as many as Grant if he had the same playing time.
    Ajose had missed the last 6 weeks with injury, I believe.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Kap10 said:
    Ajose had missed the last 6 weeks with injury, I believe.

Ah, I beg his forgiveness.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

Not worth it unless he took a significant salary cut
    Absolutely agree with that.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I think there will be a ceiling for ACN forwards which will be above RD's budget. At his best, there are many worse Prem strikers.
  • Options
    No one think it’s weird that the night before the last game of the season igor put up on Instagram an angry face. Not one to read too much into things but I don’t actually think he’s injured. 
  • Options
    He's gone from tightening up at the end of a session to chilling out in Malaga to 'heal', when he should be in with the medical team most days - all this as we are in the business end of the season, and you don't have to be 100% to play, like John Robinson in 98.
  • Options
    No one think it’s weird that the night before the last game of the season igor put up on Instagram an angry face. Not one to read too much into things but I don’t actually think he’s injured. 
    Complete nonsense 
  • Options
    Are you a member of the Flat Earth Society?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    @sage seems the expert but for the short term you'd expect him to be doing as much rehab as possible to be in some kind of shape ...unless the club know he is definitely out which we expect..it's a shame as he was beginning to look sharp 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Unless it is just a case of waiting for soreness to go and that might be best achieved by putting your feet up and relaxing and maybe spending a lot of time in the pool.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Katrien probably put something in his contract saying if he played a certain amount of games he gets a new 13 year contract or something. Maybe he has reached that amount of games.
    According to wiki he has played 80 games for us, so that looks unlikely. It could be due to KMs "creative" or "unique" way of doing things he is already out of contract and not insured to play. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nicholas said:
    Katrien probably put something in his contract saying if he played a certain amount of games he gets a new 13 year contract or something. Maybe he has reached that amount of games.
    According to wiki he has played 80 games for us, so that looks unlikely. It could be due to KMs "creative" or "unique" way of doing things he is already out of contract and not insured to play. 
    Not possible, all football contracts end June 30th of each year unless stated otherwise, such as January window. 
  • Options
    One thing we should always try to keep in mind is a saying I got told at university and has stuck with me.

“When one gets injured, they will never be as good as they could have been, but they will always be better than they were.”

This is only true so long as rehabilitation is thorough, rigorous, and complete. The best way to look at it, so long as I can explain this well enough... Prior to an injury, that specific area of the body is let’s say, 100%. When that area gets injured, it drops right down, say 40%. Once completing a full programme of rehabilitation, that area can only ever get to 90% what it could have been, but that 90% is 110% of what it was.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Nicholas said:
    Not possible, all football contracts end June 30th of each year unless stated otherwise, such as January window. 
    I know that's normally the case, but I wouldn't put it passed her. 
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    This was my concern that like Yann if he reaches a certain amount of games he gets a new contract. Sorry I hit a few nerves for questioning how strange it is he isn’t playing when slightly injured and not even in the county. We’re run by jokers.