Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Ricky Holmes - now at Southend (p4)

Comments

• Been sent back to Sheffield United, back injury and no appearances for Gills 
  • Still under contract for another season, so theoretically a Premier League player now
    Wow, I wonder if he has a wage increase clause ?
  • Still under contract for another season, so theoretically a Premier League player now
    Even if they have atm they are still a Championship team, so release him now and pay the rest of his contract before any wage increase kicks in and it would probably be cheaper for them 
    Even if they have atm they are still a Championship team, so release him now and pay the rest of his contract before any wage increase kicks in and it would probably be cheaper for them 
    Can't imagine it's that simple. They'd almost certainly have to pay out his contract for next season and I imagine it would be at those Premier League wages (you have to imagine he had a promotion clause, when he signed they were pretty high up the table last year as well). 
  • Wasn’t there a thread where quite a few were slagging him off and saying he was flash or some waffle a few weeks back .
    great player and he did what he had to do 
    I definitely feel that things are ‘leaked out’ in certain player departures to try and dampen any fan discontent with the regime. I’m sure the rumour going round when Holmes left was he was too big for his boots, the rest of squad were pleased he was going, we were offered him back in Jan but didn’t want him etc...

starting to doubt the truth in the first ones, and the last one bein down to his injury not attitude 
    I don't know that the regime is that well organized tbh. I feel like that's something that happens a lot in football, when someone leaves you focus on their negatives. The rumour of Holmes being a Billy big boots was around for a while, and I feel like I've heard iFollow commentators for clubs he used to play for mention it as well. Doesn't make him a bad person, just maybe a little big headed.
    No chance.

If (for example) he has a clause whereby he gets an extra 10k a week once they get promoted, why on earth would he agree to be released now before it kicked in?

They'd have to come to an agreement.
  • If his back injury is as bad as it appears, he won't be going anywhere. And anyway with all the money they'll be getting in the PL, his wages will be a pittance for them!
  • Considering the money they'll get, just being promoted, I can still see The Blades paying him off.

There's not been any evidence he is an asset in the Championship, let alone the Premier League. And don't forget they're limited to a squad of 25 in the Premier League.

I genuinely see him performing back in League 1 next season, if he recovers from his injury. If Sheffield Utd. do the right thing, they'll do the right thing, and release him early.
  • Sponsored links:

• I couldn't see him, or any other injured player (provided that there were hopes for recovery and that they are getting good medical support), agreeing to termination of their contract, when they are benefitting from their club's insurance/medical facilities for their rehabilitation. 
  • If he recovers from his back injury, big if, I fully expect him to go out on loan next season.

He will still be picking up the wage increase of Premier League wages, but the club he will be on loan at to be paying some of it. After the year on loan, he will be out of contract where he will either retire or have played to get a chance of being offered a contract at a new club.
  • DA9 said:
    Been sent back to Sheffield United, back injury and no appearances for Gills 
    That'll give him a chance to play in the Premier League next season now that United have been promoted.
  • He was getting plenty of stick on Twitter last night from Charlton fans. He gave it back 
  • robroy said:
    He was getting plenty of stick on Twitter last night from Charlton fans. He gave it back 
    Noticed that. Cringeworthy really, not necessary at all - doubt they would have the bollocks to mouth off to him face to face. 
  • Sounds like he was a true professional. Sad to hear of his injury woes.

Love watching him in a red shirt. 
  • Top player. Gutted when he left, especially for such a small fee.
  • great sale by Roland (ducks for cover) :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Sorry to hear that. 

Useless waste of space who never put a shift in for Charlton.  He absolutely deserves abuse from our best and brightest.
  • robroy said:
    He was getting plenty of stick on Twitter last night from Charlton fans. He gave it back 
    Thought they'd be too busy turning pool tables over to have time to give Holmes stick on twitter.
  • robroy said:
    Thought they'd be too busy turning pool tables over to have time to give Holmes stick on twitter.
    Our fans are perfectly capable of vandalising stuff and abusing ex players on Twitter. We're a bright bunch.

You're not a true fan unless you abuse Holmes.
  • Been transfer listed along with ex addick Leon Clarke

Following the conclusion of the Sky Bet Championship season, Chris Wilder has acted swiftly by announcing his retained list.

Paul Coutts, Martin Cranie, Conor Washington, Daniel Lafferty and Caolan Lavery will all leave Bramall Lane when their current deals expire this summer.

Leon Clarke, Jake Wright, Ched Evans, Samir Carruthers, Nathan Thomas, Ben Heneghan and Ricky Holmes have all been placed on the transfer list, despite still being under contract.

Meanwhile, Dean Henderson, Kieran Dowell, Scott Hogan, Gary Madine and Marvin Johnson will all return to their parent clubs following the completion of their loan deals.

Boss Wilder commented: "We have had a fantastic season and I've thanked the players for their contribution but attentions have quickly turned to what is set to be another exciting campaign." 

• edited May 2019
    Forgot that Ched Evans was actually under contract with Sheffield United rather than Fleetwood

Bet Samir Carruthers ends up @ Oxford

Didnt even realise that Conor Washington was there, wouldnt be a bad option if we got promoted and new owners
  • Ha Ha Ha Ha..

Poor old Ricky. Played just a handful of games in The Championship before getting loaned out to a (then) poor Oxford side......and then to an even worse Gills one. 

Like Grant his Premier League dreams are shot down in flames.

Never mind, he can spend the summer counting his chickens as well as his money

• I still don't blame him for going, but sadly he may have been the difference to get us up last year and he could have been playing in the Championship anyway.

He may struggle to get a move away, his injuries and salary will put a lot of clubs off.
  • Forgot that Ched Evans was actually under contract with Sheffield United rather than Fleetwood

Bet Samir Carruthers ends up @ Oxford

Didnt even realise that Conor Washington was there, wouldnt be a bad option if we got promoted and new owners
    Carruthers is another player who's barely played because of injury
  • Martin Crainie is available, let's get him back and see if he's any better than last time.

Or maybe not.
  • I thought Leon Clarke started off quite well this season, but understandable wont be needed in the Premiership. Might be a decent striker to bulk up our squad should we go up (better than Josh P)

Hope Ricky can get playing football again , quality for us and no hard feelings in this shower of shit ownership I don't really hold that against any players that leave.