Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton fans away at Peterborough in clockwork orange gear

edited February 2019 in General Charlton
Taken off twitter @oldfootballphotos

Date?

Name and shame

Comments

• Mark Pitts (Selwyn) on the left RIP
  • Main fella used to drink up the Man of Kent I believe.
  • Martin white in middle 
  • edited February 2019
    Blimey, I can't remember Selwyn ever being that "slim". RIP.
  • Wasn't it QPR?
  • I saw this on Twitter, seen it before, someone did say it was taken outside the Guy Earl of Warwick in welling enroute (coach?) to Peterborough?
  • Well I have to say the houses look more Welling, than Peterborough or QPR.
  • Fu$$ing great days. 
    RIP Selwyn 
  • Clive Scales is in that pc
  • Kenny Martin at front
  • Sponsored links:

• Pretty sure it's not Martin White. Think it's Jimmy Angel.
  • On second thoughts it might be Martin....
  • 100% Martin as Da9 says pic did the rounds awhile ago and Martin named everyone in it
  • Probably around 1973.

• Pretty sure it's not Martin White. Think it's Jimmy Angel.
    No not him not with that lot it’s Martin 
  • more like 1983 ---the first clockwork Orange gig was away to Plymouth around 1973 tho
  • edited February 2019
    more like 1983 ---the first clockwork Orange gig was away to Plymouth around 1973 tho
    Was that the 1-1 draw where Graham Tutt was insisting he finger tipped a late penalty past the post, and rest of team insisted the bloke missed. Team came home on same train. 

An an yes main figure is Kenny Martin, Billy's younger brother. 
  • more like 1983 ---the first clockwork Orange gig was away to Plymouth around 1973 tho

March 3rd 1973 5-0 defeat went down on supporters train still have ticket and newspaper report.

Speaking to Colin Cameron and Alan Honey many years later about this trip , both on the same train.

March 3rd 1973 5-0 defeat went down on supporters train still have ticket and newspaper report.

Speaking to Colin Cameron and Alan Honey many years later about this trip , both on the same train.

Did they don bowler hats and wear make up too?
    Indeed it was around 1973, but can’t remember which game although Plymouth sounds right. 

I seem to recall that we even got a mention in one of the Sunday papers. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I vaguely recall a similar turnout at Northampton for an evening game with the sound of Blakey’s on the cobbled roads after the game
  • edited February 2019
    Martin White lives in Thailand these days but via social media we chat often .He told me this morning the pic was taken in Welling and also in the pic is Sean the Punk ! Haven't seen him in decades
    Date of pic he thinks is 1979

Yeah, Plymouth away was the first time that I remember. They marched in formation from the station up the hill to the football ground, white coats and bowler hats. On the way back, loads of Argyle on the road footbridge by the station bombing them from above with bricks and bottles.

Richie Bowman making his debut and Mick Kearns in goal (on loan from Walsall, I think);
    Out thought and out fought, bad day at the office.

But good mixing with the players on the train back; delayed at Taunton for quite a while, very late back into Paddington.
    One of the directors, David White I think, gave me a lift back to Welling, where I was living back then.

Seems a long while ago now!

• Martin White lives in Thailand these days but via social media we chat often .He told me this morning the pic was taken in Welling and also in the pic is Sean the Punk ! Haven't seen him in decades
    Yeah Clive also confirmed it is Martyn, the other week when was put up on Facebook again. Great photo RIP Selwyn
  • Martin White lives in Thailand these days but via social media we chat often .He told me this morning the pic was taken in Welling and also in the pic is Sean the Punk ! Haven't seen him in decades
    1979 matches the other fashions and we also didn't play Posh after than until the 1990s
  • Had a long conversation with Norman Jay (DJ/ OBE) Spudz fan but brought up in the Grove that one of his first football memories was seeing the Clockwork Orange Charlton marching to Loftus Road. 
  • What a great article!!  Hands up who was the 14 year old who got drunk...

"Fact is that it was a diabolical match and a few fans, who follow Charlton all over the country, found themselves in the smallest crowd in the Football League and got a bit angry".

Music to @oohaahmortimer 's ear that!

• Curb_It said:
    What a great article!!  Hands up who was the 14 year old who got drunk...

"Fact is that it was a diabolical match and a few fans, who follow Charlton all over the country, found themselves in the smallest crowd in the Football League and got a bit angry".

Music to @oohaahmortimer 's ear that!

I was there .
    1979 matches the other fashions and we also didn't play Posh after than until the 1990s
    You are actually wrong. This was a pre season friendly after 1979 and the boys in the picture had all been drinking in the Green Man Welling .I know because I met up with them later in the day .