Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Emiliano Sala plane crash

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2019

sam3110 said:

Not intended to be insulting to a person's life here, but what happens in terms of the money Cardiff just spent on him, especially seeing as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for them yet? Must be completely uncharted territory in that respect.

Fingers and toes crossed they find them alive, but you suspect it's already too late

I imagine he's insured by Cardiff. Horrible way to think but it crossed my mind as well.
    Would be surprised if insurance didn’t have exclusions for the likes of flying in a highly risky two seater aeroplane (in the same way as they wouldn’t insure against injury/death from say winter sports etc.)
    That plane is certainly NOT considered a highly risky aircraft....why do you think it is?

A typical travel insurance policy would not cover private small aircraft flights, only organised/chartered ones (and even then not as the pilot). I doubt a life insurance policy is any different unless specifically underwritten and paid for accordingly.

What are the relative death rates per passenger mile of commercial jet aircraft vs light aircraft? I can find data suggesting the latter has a 50x higher accident rate per mile flown (not even adjusted for relative passenger numbers).

Indeed in 2017 (albeit not 2018 sadly) there were ZERO deaths on commercial jet aircraft globally as the result of mechanical/pilot error.
    Total rubbish. Having advised & sold hundreds of life assurance policies over a 28 year career I can categorically state that there are no exclusisions whatsoever to do with flights in light aircraft. Furthermore, even pilots of said aircraft can be insured without any problems as I've sold some. No special policy or underwriting required.
  • Options
    Argentine media has apparently released some whatsapp voice messages he sent to his friends.

"I’m here on a plane that looks like it’s about to fall apart, and I’m going to Cardiff, crazy, tomorrow we already start, and in the afternoon we start training, boys, in my new team."

A later message from the striker said: "How are you guys, all good? If you do not have any more news from in an hour and a half, I don’t know if they need to send someone to find me... I am getting scared!"
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Not intended to be insulting to a person's life here, but what happens in terms of the money Cardiff just spent on him, especially seeing as he hasn't kicked a ball in anger for them yet? Must be completely uncharted territory in that respect.

Fingers and toes crossed they find them alive, but you suspect it's already too late

I imagine he's insured by Cardiff. Horrible way to think but it crossed my mind as well.
    Would be surprised if insurance didn’t have exclusions for the likes of flying in a highly risky two seater aeroplane (in the same way as they wouldn’t insure against injury/death from say winter sports etc.)
    That plane is certainly NOT considered a highly risky aircraft....why do you think it is?

A typical travel insurance policy would not cover private small aircraft flights, only organised/chartered ones (and even then not as the pilot). I doubt a life insurance policy is any different unless specifically underwritten and paid for accordingly.

What are the relative death rates per passenger mile of commercial jet aircraft vs light aircraft? I can find data suggesting the latter has a 50x higher accident rate per mile flown (not even adjusted for relative passenger numbers).

Indeed in 2017 (albeit not 2018 sadly) there were ZERO deaths on commercial jet aircraft globally as the result of mechanical/pilot error.
    Total rubbish. Having advised & sold hundreds of life assurance policies over a 28 year career I can categorically state that there are no exclusisions whatsoever to do with flights in light aircraft. Furthermore, even pilots of said aircraft can be insured without any problems as I've sold some. No special policy or underwriting required.
    Is auto-erotic asphyxiation excluded? Asking for a friend.
    Is friend your safe word?
  • Options

sam3110 said:

Let’s hope they all filled out the applications truthfully and accurately then!
  • Options
    As WhatsApp stops working in a tunnel on a train would it work flying over the sea ?
  • Options

As WhatsApp stops working in a tunnel on a train would it work flying over the sea ?

Plane may have wi fi fitted, lots of these charter planes come with it as standard and its also carried out frequently as a retro-fit.
  • Options
    What is the safety record of these planes? Very sad story.
  • Options

What is the safety record of these planes? Very sad story.

Frequent engine failure issues in the 80s till the stress issues were found on the engines then guidelines were put in place to avoid putting stress on them. Since then they have been mostly reliable
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Depends if he's got signal... A Piper wont go anywhere near as high as an Airbus or Boeing so will probably be within range

Only reason it stops working in a tunnel is because you effectively go underground
    It would have some sort of WiFi, I have been fortunate to have flown in, and flown a lot of small single engine aircraft and all the pilots use iPads to navigate now relying on a signal like WiFi.

Of course they have the planes instrumentation at their disposal as well but nowadays this is more of a back up as an iPad offers so much more in modern technology than opposed to what an old plane has installed.
  • Options
    The professional pilots forum is, as always, grimly fascinating and very instructive, including on the life insurance question.

Not that I am pretending to understand half of it...
  • Options
    They continue the search until darkness tonight apparently. Fingers crossed for a miracle at this stage
  • Options

The professional pilots forum is, as always, grimly fascinating and very instructive, including on the life insurance question.

Wow, some enlightening stuff on there. Even virtually mentioning the pilot and the fact he was part of a BBC Ferry Pilot program some years ago.
  • Options
    Unfortunately I think the miracle would need to be something like the pilot having kidnapped him and landed on one of the Channel Islands.

Hope he’s ok, terrible for his family and friends.

Personally don’t care about Cardiff.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    No longer a search and rescue operation its now a recovery operation and that may be ended today.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11704/11615379/emiliano-sala-plane-search-recovery-not-rescue-operation
  • Options
    Now it's been confirmed that his agent arranged it it, and the agent is Willie McKay....worth looking again at the pilots' forum with that in mind
  • Options
    you can only fly direct from nantes to the uk into gatwick with easyjet - may be the reason why it was a small plane chosen, i have been in one of these light aircraft before and that was for 30 mins a neighbour used to have one in rochester airport did not like it at all, the only other smallish plane i have been on was last summer a flybe regional to derry airport 28 seats and that was pretty bumpy in the middle of summer
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Now it's been confirmed that his agent arranged it it, and the agent is Willie McKay....worth looking again at the pilots' forum with that in mind

How is he still allowed to practice after all these years? In a largely scummy profession he has long stood out as one of, if not the, scummiest.

That said, and I haven't looked at the pilots forum, this could be nothing to do with him. But still.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Some key points on there.

"Just put the fact that Mr Sala was a £15m signing to one side for a moment, I wonder who on this board would allow a loved one to fly across the channel in an unknown 35 year old single-engine piston a/c, in winter, at night with no mode c using the services of a part-time pilot?"

"However the big question is how a £15 million football star found himself being flown by from Nantes to Cardiff by a gas engineer and part time pilot in a single piston engined aircraft at night."
  • Options
    Sala refused Cardiffs travel offer and wanted to make his own quicker arrangments it seems

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11704/11615826/emiliano-sala-declined-cardiff-city-travel-offer-says-chairman-mehmet-dalman

We have looked into this quite thoroughly and it is quite evident that Cardiff has the responsibility to offer the player to make arrangements [for travel], which will be commercial flights," Dalman told Sky Sports News.

"That would have meant taking the train from Nantes to Paris, then Paris to Heathrow, then drive down [to Cardiff].

"The player's reaction to that was that he wanted to make his own arrangements which would be much quicker."
  • Options
    I think Sala just wanted to get to Cardiff asap and get a head start in training from what I've heard.
  • Options

I think this was just a tragic accident.
    Trying to put the blame on anyone is pointless

Not if it means preventing it happening again.
    If the certification/procédures/worthiness are at fault then someone/something needs to be blamed to ensure things are changed - if we all sit back and wipe our hands and say bad luck, then this type of thing will happen again.
  • Options

I think this was just a tragic accident.
    Trying to put the blame on anyone is pointless

If there were a tragic fire incident I would pay special attention to your expertise in the matter.

Equally, it's always good in the case of tragic air accidents to pay attention to those whose livelihoods depend on minimising tragic accidents, which is done by establishing the facts and learning from them.

Many of the pilots themselves are making the general point that the facts are still to be established. However I regularly read them when such accidents occur, and I have rarely seen so many of them so openly angry as the facts emerge.

Well worth reading that thread, not least to learn what to ask yourself before making a journey in a light aircraft.

• Options

I think Sala just wanted to get to Cardiff asap and get a head start in training from what I've heard.

I'm guessing he never done his homework on the region?
  • Options

I'm guessing he never done his homework on the region?
    Explain yourself please ?
  • Options
    Pilot apparently said he was ‘a little rusty’ on FB.
    Said he wasn’t up to date with the landing procedure of the plane?
    Just sounds like little things have all come together to just make one big f**k up.
    Awful.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Search has been called off... RIP Emiliano