Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Other UK - Northern Ireland

Thread for discussion on politics impacting Northern Ireland

Please adhere to post in a reasoned fashion and be civil with your fellow contributors and their potentially differing views.

thank you

Comments

• Who fancies another Troubles then?
  • Will this thread be closed when 32 become 1?
  • So what _is_ the latest with Stormont shenanigans? With Brexit consuming nearly all attention on this side of the water, we've not really heard anything about it lately. Is that because nothing's happening due to one or other or both sides' intransigence, or the Brexit effect there as well, or has any progress toward a solution been made lately?
  • No progress, nor any likely any time soon.

It's not just Brexit, the RHI Inquiry is due to report in the New Year, and I cannot see any real incentive for Sinn Fein to get back into government until after the dust settles (because they're a shower of useless feckers).

The Civil Service will keep trying to keep carrying on, at the same time as we prepare for staff redeployment in the event of a hard Brexit.

The craic is just mighty.
  • Car bomb went off in Derry last night. No one was hurt thankfully. Hopefully this doesn't become more commonplace.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/psni-receives-warning-before-car-bomb-explodes-in-derry-1.3764233
  • With you on that one. But, I would caution that things seem to be becoming more tense in Derry than more generally, news reporting would suggest that there is a stronger dissident presence there.
  • Hard border on the way back if only on Eire side. So much for Boris's CCTV cameras with X-ray vision (the only way trade can be truly monitored by technology).
  • The name of the country is Ireland, or the Republic of Ireland. If you are speaking in Irish it is Éire. It is never Eire.
  • I was speaking Irish when I said that particular word. Just as I can call you Señor without speaking Spanish. I defer to the OED.
  • Sponsored links:

• Its incorrect to use the Irish name when speaking in English, however if you choose to do so you should spell it Éire not Eire. You managed to include the accent in Señor, I don't see why it is so difficult to do so in Éire.
  • Language is about communication. Making what you want to have known understood by others. Many would argue that providing you achieve that fundamental then communication has been fulfilled. Before anyone brings up standards, grammar, spelling etc etc. Language evolves year on year or it dies. Go back in time and see how you get on speaking to someone from for example the Elizabethan age. 
  • But only English people use the word "Eire", or even choose to use the Irish word when speaking in English. Why is it so difficult to use the actual name of the country? Its not a rare occurrence, it happens all the time. That or referring to Ireland as "Southern Ireland" which is wrong on a number of levels, including geographically.

If I deliberately and consistently use your name incorrectly but said, oh its fine, everyone knows who I am talking about, wouldn't that annoy you? If your name was Alan, but I called you Alex for example?
  • Have you ever referred to The Netherlands as Holland ? If you havn’t then you are one of the few people who havn’t . There are lots of examples that where through ignorance or error people make mistakes like these. I don’t really see the point in berating them over it. 
  • I have done, but I try not to. I try to use Netherlands as much as I can. I'm not berating anyone, I'm pointing out what they are doing wrong and I hope they can make an effort to use the correct terminology  in future.

Again, its only English people who refer to us in this way. There is probably a reason for that.
  • Also. Leaving out the accent/fada changes the meaning of the word. Its not just a midspelling. Éire means Ireland. Eire means burden or load.

If you want to add the fada to be more correct it is quite simple to do with a standard UK keyboard. Simply hold the Alt-Gr key and your chosen vowel. á é í ó ú

• You're reading way too much into I think.
  • In fairness to @el-pietro, most of the time whenever the name of the country is misused, it is done so by an English commentator bursting with enthusiasm to demonstrate the depths of their ignorance about Ireland, it's politics, history, culture and people....

From an Irish perspective (and I am not saying that it is the case on this thread), it's shorthand for condescension and an apparent refusal to accept that Ireland is a distinct entity, one that has its own interests and a desire to assert and defend its own independence - those using the word almost never see Ireland other than through an Anglocentric prism.
  • El-Pietro, if you want to criticise me please stick to the Labour Party thread. 
  • I've never opened the Labour thread. I have no interest in UK party politics. I also wasn't criticising you. I would just prefer you use the correct name for my country, I don't think that's too much to ask.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited February 2019
  • edited March 2019
    Probably a generation of kids grew up with "Eire" as Ireland because that is how Ireland was often referred to in FIFA/Champ Manager video games and on some sports shows. Unaccented. I imagine mostly due to limitations at the time on inputting accents in English language games. That's certainly how I first came across it (Champ Manager 2). There is also a convention in Roman type (in which English is written) that capitals are never accented. So ANY word that begins with an accented letter would not be accented when capitalised.

Whatever your preference is, a lot of people use Eire as shorthand for the Republic of Ireland. Same as people who use GB or Britain when they actually mean The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. If you're going to argue the toss over how natives refer to their own country then you might also want to consider Germany, Spain, Switzerland, China, Japan etc. 
  • We need to treat this discussion with great care. This is now sub judice and we need to be aware of the implications of what is written.
  • The principle of accountability for your actions is paramount.
    If he did what he is charged with he deserves whatever he gets. If not, then a trial will clear his name.
    Personally I'm astounded only one prosecution is being sought.
  • @harveys_gardener in xenophobia shock. 
  • @seth plum will be fuming he hasn't asked leavers about the border solution when this thread is already above 10 posts.

• The lack of self awareness and empathy here is stunning. How could anyone think this is a good idea? I worry that this could be the spark that kicks off violence. This will be seen as a slap to the face of the people of Derry and to the families directly affected by Bloody Sunday. The general feeling is that its good this one soldier is facing charges but its not enough.

• I don't want to get too far into this @el-pietro as I don't know enough to comment intelligently, but it did seem to be a mark of the troubles that provocation was acceptable. As I recall, they used to organise those Orange men parades straight through the catholic areas, and it was only recently that someone clocked that it might not be a terribly sensible thing to do. As I recall, there was also a large amount of unrest from the Oranfemen that their freedom of speech and freedom to demonstrate were being denied. 
    It's a huge part of the Brexit fiasco that having finally got some semblance of peace and co existance, which will probably need generations to become bedded in, we now have the prospect of violating the good friday agreement, and all it has achieved.