Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth v Charlton | Tue 11 Dec | 7:45pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Portsmouth v Charlton Athletic
Tuesday 11th December 2018 … 7:45pm Kick-Off
Referee: John Brooks (Leicestershire)

Introduction

It certainly wasn’t a happy trip North for Lee Bowyer and his side on the weekend, following the decision to rest key players in the FA Cup, this was always going to be a result that would receive scrutiny from the fans… 2-1 would be the result and although maybe a tad harsh, its proof that Football isnt about what you deserve but ultimately what you end up with!! – There is no time to dwell though and its on to the next game, what better way to try and return to winning ways than a re-arranged trip to Portsmouth.

The Opposition
Name: Portsmouth | Manager: Kenny Jackett
Ground: Fratton Park

Of course we’ve been in this position before (twice could be said) – Firstly this is our second re-arranged game of the season thanks to the International break and once again means that we’re having to play catch up against the likes of Luton Town, the last re-arranged game saw a 2-0 win at Walsall, a repeat of which would be extremely welcome.

The second position we find ourselves in is the blunt requirement to come back up the M3 with all three points; the Addicks would visit Fratton Park in April last season knowing that only a win would keep alive their Play-Off aspirations, a sole goal from Nicky Ajose would make it a memorable night and so end Pompey’s own hopes of promotion – This season though and Portsmouth look to be a side that appear destined for the Championship, having been defeated just the once this season (a 1-0 loss at home to Gillingham), its all the more impressive that they can afford to leave last seasons top scorer: Brett Pitman on the bench

In terms of head to head records between these sides you cant find too many more games against other opposition... Charlton v Portsmouth is of course one of those that has been played more than most in history, yet matches of late have certainly been close - Since 1980 there have been a total of 40 games between the two teams, and with 29 of those games either ending in 2-1 or 1-0 (the last five games alone have been by this scoreline) its proof we should expect another tight encounter.

And from those forty games who has won the most?

Surprisingly it’s Charlton (W20 | D5 | L15), if only we could swap some of those for Millwall victories (Sigh!)

Charlton Team News
Well straight away I think we can forget about those out injured as none of the missing will be back anytime soon – The depleted Charlton side was hit even further last week with the news that Jamie Ward is now out for up to four weeks and so may have now played his last game in Charlton colours – It means that with Billy Clarke still regaining sharpness, its left to Tariqe Fosu to try and continue to find his form from last season!!

Steer
Solly | Bauer | Pearce | Sarr
Aribo | Bielik | Reeves
Fosu
Grant | Taylor

Substitutes Bench: Phillips | Dijksteel | Stevenson | Lapslie | Marshall | Ajose | Hackett-Fairchild

Prediction
Without doubt this’ll be our hardest fixture of the entire season, with just eight goals conceded at home; Fratton Park is a fortress and think anything other than a point would be acceptable – Charlton though have a habit of turning up against the big teams so a win shouldn’t be ruled out.

All we can hope is that John Brooks doesn’t miss key incidents, like he did at Sunderland (the Lynden Gooch challenge on Jason Pearce) and so cost us any further deserved points!!

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2018
    Oh no, I've purchased the wrong tickets, already organised my travel to the south coast etc etc.

Why didn't the ticket office tell me? :cry:
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Macronate said:

Oh no, I've purchased the wrong tickets, already organised my travel to the south coast etc etc.

Why didn't the ticket office tell me? :cry:

FFS!!!!!!!... thanks for the spot

Is what I get for copying and pasting the headings from previous threads for ease

Edit: Its cute you think the Ticket Office would be aware though ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I don't fancy our chances at all.
    A Tuesday evening in December away to the league leaders.
    2-0 to Pompey.
  • Options
    Gonna go for a hard fought 1 - 1 Draw , Taylor with a late equalizer.
  • Options
    We've tended to bounce back well from disappointing results/performances. Portsmouth look a very good side. If we can nick an early goal then I think anything is possible. But if we leave ourselves exposed like we did on Saturday then it could be a long evening. Draw would be an excellent result. If we're being honest, there's not been much in our performances that indicate we're an automatic promotion team, and as such I think getting anything from Pompey is a bonus.
  • Options
    Can't see beyond a 2-1 defeat.
  • Options
    Having watched our performance at Blackpool Saturday anything less than a huge improvement will end in defeat.
    I'm hoping we can earn a hard faught draw and then win our two home matches which follow.
    1.1 draw.
    But that is being really hopefull.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Portsmouth often play a 4-2-3-1 formation with their number ten having a big job of dropping back into the midfield when defending to be harder to break down but also to get forward and support their striker when attacking. Therefore, whoever is playing at the base of the diamond, of which I assume that’s how we will go, will be key to our result tomorrow night. Stop him from being influential and be progressive in the passing and we give ourselves a chance with our pace up top.

Portsmouth’s defence is rock solid, they just don’t concede goals. They’re definitely a team greater than the sum of its parts as although they do have some good players no doubt, they are very well organised, hard working and score goals at crucial times. Their away record is just as good as their home so this is going to be the biggest test of the season.

Even though I’ve mentioned about us playing a diamond, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us go with Marshall in either midfield or at wing back if we go with a back 3. Bows has a lot to think about as after Saturday, a result here is important for our season which we know is going to be tough.

We are going to need Pearce to be the warrior he has proven to be before, we need whoever is playing in the creative role to put in a shift and drop wide and help out as well as be a potential match winner.

Due to the comments made by Bowyer regarding Portsmouth being a big and physical side, I have changed my original line up that had Dijksteel at right back with Solly at left back. It’s now Sarr in at left back. I would love to see Dijksteel at the base of midfield instead of Bielik but I can’t see Bowyer going with it unfortunately.

Steer
    Solly Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Bielik
    Reeves Aribo
    Fosu
    Taylor Grant

Phillips, Stevenson, Dijksteel, Lapslie, Marshall, Ajose, Hackett-Fairchild

Portsmouth 1-1 Charlton
    Fosu
  • Options
    When people start getting worried about ref's before a kick off, then we know it's going to be a long evening.
  • Options
    With Clarke playing for the under 23s today, as you say, he is ruled out for tomorrow. I would like to stay optimistic, but I really cannot after Saturday. I think anything better than a 3-0 defeat would be a success. Unless the takeover goes through before January, (I assume it is still on), I cannot see us in ending in the top 6, even when our injured players come back, no doubt others will get injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Big game this now as I am a bit worried we could go into a bit of tailspin if we lose, and I am sure RD is mulling over who to sell in Jan.

• Options
    cabbles said:

Big game this now as I am a bit worried we could go into a bit of tailspin if we lose, and I am sure RD is mulling over who to sell in Jan.

You think :wink:
  • Options
    I hate to type this, but a draw at best as we've lost a bit of impetus over the past few games and I can't see us being as fortunate as we were at Burton, a side similar in formation and skill but not so good all round as Pompey. Likewise, the Blackpool result doesn't bode too well. But here's hoping

I wouldn't select a grossly out of touch Fosu, play Dijk in the middle alongside Bielik, to form a basically six man defensive screen with Marshall (not Reeves) and Aribo as the attacking midfielders .. we need something from this one as a morale booster. Pompey look certs now for promotion and anything from Fratton would be a real bonus

Portsmouth 1 v CAFC 1
  • Options
    Portsmouth 9-1 Charlton
  • Options
    Fancy a 2-0 win, Taylor and Fosu with a goal in each half.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    I fancy us for a good performance on the South Coast...it has to be the former Youth player Jason Pearce in the 94min
  • Options
    cabbles said:

coach leaving Larkfield in 25 mins

Are you taking the coastal route via Dover then ? :wink:
  • Options
    Anything from the game will be a bonus . It’s the sort of game we’ll probably go and win and but I’m not that confident. 1-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blackpool was a game where our performance produced the result it deserved, an I can not see this being any different. I think we will see how far off being a good team we are. A comfortable 2-0 for Pompey with us not turning up at all.
  • Options
    RedChaser said:

cabbles said:

coach leaving Larkfield in 25 mins

Are you taking the coastal route via Dover then ? :wink:
    Elizabeth Line from Abbey Wood
  • Options
    3-0 Pompey
  • Options
    Bowyer to leave out Stevenson, so different LB for tomorrow, Sarr or Solly?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    ross1 said:

Bowyer to leave out Stevenson, so different LB for tomorrow, Sarr or Solly?

Sarr for me who had a good game at Burton and didn't deserve to be dropped; Djiksteel in midfield.
  • Options
    Bowyer is a child of Curbs.

Curbs philosophy was, when on a bad run, stop the rot, defend your way to a clean sheet and get back on track.

So 90 mins under the cosh and 0 - 0
  • Options
    This preview has some interesting stats and fact...

d3d4football.com/portsmouth-v-charlton-athletic-league-one-preview/
  • Options
    It’s either a heavy defeat or sneaky win, so cross everything 0-1 Taylor.
  • Options
    Portsmouth 3 - Charlton 0
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!