Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Squad (v Republic of Ireland/Belgium/Iceland from p29)

Comments

• Southgate won’t be going anywhere until after the Euros at the earliest.

Lets just hope he changes his philosophy.
  • I think Denmark put bodies behind the ball and Rashford needed a bit more help around him to be fair. If you are defensive minded against these teams, it is often a stalemate. When you play strong sides they try to beat you and that makes things more open for your strikers but Denmark tried to stop us and relied on errors from us or the ref and got a bit of both. 
  • Southgate won’t be going anywhere until after the Euros at the earliest.

Lets just hope he changes his philosophy.
    I am afraid that Leopards don't change their spots.

The most impressive part of the evening for me was listening to Alex Scott's excellent summary of the problems and noting that Southgate should have noticed by now that  Maguire is not coping with  separating his personal predicament from his job. 
    When Lee Bowyer was in a predicament at Leeds he impressed everyone by playing some of the best football if his career but was dropped by England. He was /is a strong enough individual to cope. Maguire since his arrest, is playing some of the worst football of his career but remains in the team at Manu and England.
    With mental health awareness around we shouldn't kick him but help him by giving him time away from the limelight.
    As with almost everyone else tonight i am gobsmacked that Grealish din't start or was brought on at half time. Southgates excuse was pitiable.
    The rest of the team selection was awful and life is to short to waste time explaing the obvious.
  • Alex Scott was very very good post match.  Impressed!
  • edited October 2020
    I think Henderson is a very important player and allows more attacking midfielders playing around him whilst maintaining defensive stability. However, sometimes, even without Henderson, playing two defensive midfielders against a team with a defensive approach just means another pass. I really do not understand why managers who have had a career in the game don't see this. 
  • V Belgium - sure, I get the idea two holding midfielders is "ok".   Pick players in form not players out of form.  Pickford and Maguire should be nowhere near the side.  His treatment of Grealish, Sancho and to a lower extent, Calvert Lewin has been poor.

Why does Southgate think we were great first 30 mins?   We were slightly the better side and relied on a debutant at wing back knocking the odd half decent cross in.  A debutant who is not as good as arguably the best right wing back in the world (certainly on stats anyway).   So if Rhys James is picked because he's playing well and TAA isn't, I.go back to why are Maguire and Pickford selected and why did Jack Grealish get NO game time in 180 mins after a MOTM performance.

• Enough is enough, I've said all long Maguire is a liability and something like that had to happen last night, hoping Southgate will drop him full stop. Coady Gomez and Walker should be the back 3 with Trent and either of Chilwell/James or Saka on the other side
  • I'm not sure Southgate even knows what his stance and aims are anymore.

He came in to the job declaring that clubs and player names don't matter, players will be picked on form regardless and a "shake up" with a lot of the younger players breaking in and a very youthful WC squad. No expectations, semi's. Great but also not great.

The squad and team selection is just confusing now, form players left out, youngsters being given debuts for the sake of it, and woefully out of form players starting. I get the need for consistency as the national team don't play as regularly (although they're now with the nation's league) but that shouldn't mean a guarantee starting spot.

In terms of football, 7 defensive players against a slightly weaker opponent. At home. 1-0 down at 35mins and the first attacking change comes on the 72nd. That's negative and not something I'd expect to see even in league one. 

We can come out with the usual "teams get players behind the ball against us, sit deep, stop us playing" but come on, Brazil we ain't. Yes this happens but other nations that we're supposed to be on par with manage to break down said teams The Kazakhstan's of football sure but I don't imagine Denmark were sh!tting themselves at the prospect of facing England at Wembley last night.

• Reece James, really impressed me last night. I dont think TAA really has done well for England so that could throw a spanner and a bit of competition (ironic when we have the most Right Backs ever) 
    Mount, Normally dont think he should start but again worked well with RJ and had a good game. 
    Maguire, always not quite sure, but not really much out there for England. Coady impresses me further and should be the first name in whatever defence for me. 
    Maitland - Niles , looked ok but out of position too much. Simple things like from a defensive corner he ended up on the right and took a while to come back. 
    Phillips, Semi impressed me and looks a better option than Rice for me. 

Overall a better selection last night for me, not a bad performance considering playing with 10 for a long period. We finished the game well and launching balls in and could have easily knicked a goal or two. I am sure we will learn more from our squad in last nights defeat than the other 2 games the last week, Denmark are a good team and hard to break down no shame in losing with 10 men. 
  • Reece James, really impressed me last night. I dont think TAA really has done well for England so that could throw a spanner and a bit of competition (ironic when we have the most Right Backs ever) 
    Mount, Normally dont think he should start but again worked well with RJ and had a good game. 
    Maguire, always not quite sure, but not really much out there for England. Coady impresses me further and should be the first name in whatever defence for me. 
    Maitland - Niles , looked ok but out of position too much. Simple things like from a defensive corner he ended up on the right and took a while to come back. 

Overall a better selection last night for me, not a bad performance considering playing with 10 for a long period. We finished the game well and launching balls in and could have easily knicked a goal or two. I am sure we will learn more from our squad in last nights defeat than the other 2 games the last week, Denmark are a good team and hard to break down no shame in losing with 10 men. 

But at 1-0 down, in basically a must win game, why not put Grealish, Sancho AND Calvert Lewin on.  If you lose 3-0 you say, oh well, I wanted to give the boys a test of showing how they could perform as if it were tournament knockout football!??!

• Sponsored links:

• Gareth Southgate on not using Jack Grealish: "We had to go with speed & athleticism in wide areas because you've gotta put in a real shift (with 10 men) without the ball. Mason & Marcus did that well."

Has this bloke ever seen Grealish play? Plus Rashford was fucking terrible.

He clearly has some kind of agenda against Grealish.
    Or has Southgate fallen into the same hole as past England managers, and now concentrates on the players from top 6 clubs, eg Rashford.
  • I didn't even realise we had a friendly match too. Seems pretty ridiculous that after a hectic start to the season (especially for Spurs) that we now have 3 internationals Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday.

What's the point of FIFA/UEFA arranging a round of friendly matches before these two nations league games? Wasn't the whole point of the Nations league to avoid pointless friendlies?
    Its so everyone plays three games... this International Window you've got

Euro 2020 Play-Off Semi-Finals then the Nations League games - It'll be the same in November when you'll have the Play-Off Finals and two more Nations League games

Unless there is no International Window planned for next March I dont know why they've not had the Euro 2020 Play-Offs simply a year later as doesnt make much difference
    It's still ridiculous. If Kane plays in all 3 games for England over the next week, he'll have played 11 games already this season and we'll only be 1 month in. I hope Southgate rests him v Wales.

Most players (not just England's) will be fucking exhausted by the time the Euro's start next summer.
    Why...they are fit athletes...they party all night when it suits them but can't  be asked two play twice week ! 
    Thats like saying a Marathon runner should be able to run a race of that distance every week
    Non league players play lots of games and have a full time job. And they have to travel to away games etc mid week. Lower league players play a lot too. So why not the overpaid under worked premadonnas of the Premiership. 
    You do understand the difference between elite athletes and semi pros??
  • supaclive said:
    Reece James, really impressed me last night. I dont think TAA really has done well for England so that could throw a spanner and a bit of competition (ironic when we have the most Right Backs ever) 

But at 1-0 down, in basically a must win game, why not put Grealish, Sancho AND Calvert Lewin on.  If you lose 3-0 you say, oh well, I wanted to give the boys a test of showing how they could perform as if it were tournament knockout football!??!

I dont really feel the nations league is a priority for us, we pretty much qualify so its more of a glorified friendly. I know it would be nice to win a tough group but also at 1 down, there isn't really the urgency like its a knockout for me. 

We were in the game, although they could have also got a couple more goals too, but you have a chance with it at 1-0, you see it often in games the minute it goes 2-0 it is pretty much gung ho time, you dont really have to go for it right away as you are still in the game. Which i i think we were in my opinion and the last 10 we were more dominant and unlucky not to snatch a draw.

Not saying you are wrong, but thats my take/ two pennies. 
  • I didn't even realise we had a friendly match too. Seems pretty ridiculous that after a hectic start to the season (especially for Spurs) that we now have 3 internationals Thursday-Sunday-Wednesday.

What's the point of FIFA/UEFA arranging a round of friendly matches before these two nations league games? Wasn't the whole point of the Nations league to avoid pointless friendlies?
    Its so everyone plays three games... this International Window you've got

Euro 2020 Play-Off Semi-Finals then the Nations League games - It'll be the same in November when you'll have the Play-Off Finals and two more Nations League games

Unless there is no International Window planned for next March I dont know why they've not had the Euro 2020 Play-Offs simply a year later as doesnt make much difference
    It's still ridiculous. If Kane plays in all 3 games for England over the next week, he'll have played 11 games already this season and we'll only be 1 month in. I hope Southgate rests him v Wales.

Most players (not just England's) will be fucking exhausted by the time the Euro's start next summer.
    Why...they are fit athletes...they party all night when it suits them but can't  be asked two play twice week ! 
    Thats like saying a Marathon runner should be able to run a race of that distance every week
    Non league players play lots of games and have a full time job. And they have to travel to away games etc mid week. Lower league players play a lot too. So why not the overpaid under worked premadonnas of the Premiership. 
    You chat some shit, Kane played 4 games in 7 days effectively. You cant just expect someone to recover and because they are premier league players they can be superhuman. Conference league is similar to our leagues often midweek and then weekend games, but also wont be as high intensity. 

I think it was well managed, if you want Kane firing for club and country for the season / Euros we need to rest him where possible, i doubt he would have been rested if it was a key game. 
  • I felt a bit sorry for Rashford. He needed a bit more support at times which was not happening due to an extra defensive midfielder we didn't need.
  • I hope for the games next month we see Chilwell, Sterling, Foden and Sancho starting as they should improve things. Not to mention Southgate can't play Maguire so that'll help.
  • I couldn't care less about England during the actual season. 

I don't even know what our squad options are. 
  • I suppose in that I should say this year...rather than in general.

Normally I love following England, but our club has become so much more important.

In the Euros Southgate was the man. Now he's had a problematic run he's getting slated and there's been enough negativity for me in the last 10 months. 
  • England team at the Semi-Finals of the World Cup: 

Pickford 

Walker
    Stones 
    Maguire

Trippier 
    Young

Henderson 
    Lingard 
    Alli

Kane 
    Sterling

I think the problem Southgate has is that he's changed his midfield to have 2 DCMs instead of just 1 with two more advanced midfielders alongside him. 

Rashford could play the Sterling role but he plays way too far out on the wing. He needs to be on the shoulder of Kane, occasionally dropping into the channels. 

We'll ignore the fact that England basically got through the World Cup on set-pieces (corners + penalties). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Republic of Ireland have replaced New Zealand for our Friendly on 12th November
  • I think Henderson is a very important player and allows more attacking midfielders playing around him whilst maintaining defensive stability. However, sometimes, even without Henderson, playing two defensive midfielders against a team with a defensive approach just means another pass. I really do not understand why managers who have had a career in the game don't see this. 
    Henderson is one of those players you appreciate when he isn't playing.

Liverpool fans say the same.
  • Republic of Ireland have replaced New Zealand for our Friendly on 12th November
    Southgate will get slaughtered if he plays 2 defensive midfielders against the Republic!
  • LenGlover said:
    I think Henderson is a very important player and allows more attacking midfielders playing around him whilst maintaining defensive stability. However, sometimes, even without Henderson, playing two defensive midfielders against a team with a defensive approach just means another pass. I really do not understand why managers who have had a career in the game don't see this. 
    Henderson is one of those players you appreciate when he isn't playing.

Liverpool fans say the same.
    So underrated , Even the merseyside derby he stood out for me. Also Thiago but people dont really give him the credit. I know he was up for POTY what not, but gets alot of critiscm when the last few years he has been borderline world class. Maybe thats a bit OTT? but i do rate him and we just need to find someone to slot in around him, depending on the system. 
  • Interesting question I just saw raised on twitter.

Laporte is halfway to his 5 year eligibility and France seem to have no intention of playing him.

If after the 5 years is up and France still havent used him so he is eligible and wants to play would you call him up

Laporte is halfway to his 5 year eligibility and France seem to have no intention of playing him.

If after the 5 years is up and France still havent used him so he is eligible and wants to play would you call him up
    Probably if he is playing regular for City, definitely better than we have currently. Although quite a while away still.. 

I saw something the other day about Arteta who was going to as he got British/ Citizenship and he felt alot for our country, now that would have been interesting. Why not, if they are good enough and add something. 

Yes
  • England squad confirmed

For games against Republic of Ireland, Belgium & Iceland

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson, Jordan Pickford, Nick Pope.

Defenders: Trent Alexander-Arnold, Ben Chilwell, Conor Coady, Eric Dier, Joe Gomez, Reece James, Michael Keane, Harry Maguire, Ainsley Maitland-Niles, Tyrone Mings, Bukayo Saka, Kieran Tripper, Kyle Walker.

Midfielders: Phil Foden, Jordan Henderson, Mason Mount, Declan Rice, James Ward-Prowse, Harry Winks.

Forwards: Tammy Abraham, Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Jack Grealish, Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho, Raheem Sterling.

• edited November 2020