Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dont forget the likes of George Lapslie played 27-games in the 18/19 season - Albie Morgan is probably better, or at worse on a level with Lapslie

We're not going to have a squad of 20 (?) First Team players, all vying for eleven spots each week - There are going to be squad players at Morgan's level if not worse, depending on how we replace him, if we let him go

With Jack Payne and Mcgrandles returning we're probably over stocked on squad players in the middle. 

Dobson, Fraser, Payne, Mcgrandles currently under contract for next season, with hopefully, Henry signed up.  We need that Cullen signing to finish off the middle. 

We apparently beat off champ clubs to get Mcgrandles in so it might not be that easy to shift him, I would and keep Morgan as the back up, but, I'm not buying and selling players sadly. Well, not in real life, FM I'm all over it.
    That's the problem in my eyes, the out of contract players aren't an exact match for the players we need to get rid of.

But we need to get rid of a certain number to bring in the number of players we need to.

Would anyone keep Mcgrandles and "jog on" Morgan out of choice?  I wouldn't but that's the easy/cheap option.
    That's the same logic which saw the club getting rid of Pratley and keeping Watson because the latter was under contract...
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Dont forget the likes of George Lapslie played 27-games in the 18/19 season - Albie Morgan is probably better, or at worse on a level with Lapslie

We're not going to have a squad of 20 (?) First Team players, all vying for eleven spots each week - There are going to be squad players at Morgan's level if not worse, depending on how we replace him, if we let him go

With Jack Payne and Mcgrandles returning we're probably over stocked on squad players in the middle. 

Dobson, Fraser, Payne, Mcgrandles currently under contract for next season, with hopefully, Henry signed up.  We need that Cullen signing to finish off the middle. 

We apparently beat off champ clubs to get Mcgrandles in so it might not be that easy to shift him, I would and keep Morgan as the back up, but, I'm not buying and selling players sadly. Well, not in real life, FM I'm all over it.
    That's the problem in my eyes, the out of contract players aren't an exact match for the players we need to get rid of.

But we need to get rid of a certain number to bring in the number of players we need to.

Would anyone keep Mcgrandles and "jog on" Morgan out of choice?  I wouldn't but that's the easy/cheap option.
    Get rid of both.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

That's the same logic which saw the club getting rid of Pratley and keeping Watson because the latter was under contract...
    But in its self that wouldn't have been a problem.  The problem was Arter and Clare weren't significantly (or actually at all) better than Watson and Pratley.  Let alone the 2021 JFC.

If we bring in two seriously good center mids to replace Kilkenny + 1, it wouldn't make much difference if that one is Morgan or McGrandles.  You can't get rid of everyone, as much as anyone would like to.
  • Options
    TonyCafc said:
    se9addick said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Get rid of both.
    Personally I would "jog on" Jack Payne (being paid twice as much as Albie Morgan) and Connor Mcgrandles being paid circa 80 percent more than Albie.

I would keep Albie as he, is in my opinion, better than both of them, and with Scott Fraser being paid 3 times as much as Albie is he three times the player? 
    Not disputing your numbers, but how do you know the salaries of Charlton players so well?  
  • Options
    I hope we keep him. Holden has told him that he's going to get a run of games, and that has allowed him to express himself and play without fear.
    He needs to be one of the most influential players in the team, and he has the ability to be that, with some confidence and backing.
    I have a feeling that it will suddenly just click for him, as it did for Scott Parker, and going way back Mike Flanagan.
    Albie has the chance now to demonstrate consistency
    We've seen all his good stuff in recent weeks
    His good stuff is at least the equal of anyone available for us in centre midfield.
    He's lacked consistency of performance and selection.  Chicken and egg as to which is at fault for which.
    If he maintains this level in the remaining 7 games he makes a cast iron case for retention.
    He doesn't even need to be scoring and assisting every game to show how far superior he is to cloggers McGrandles and Kilkenny or the physically inadequate Payne.
    Whether the club's ruined finances will permit the costly excising of those duffers to retain Morgan, remains to be seen.
    It won't be up to Dean Holden if the club can't (or won't) afford to match the offers Albie will inevitably receive.
    If Payne or McGrandles are close to starting for us in August, then the squad's gonna be crap.

Same goes for Hector v Lavelle and Inniss
  • Options
    Regarding Albie - there was a player I saw 2 years ago and he reminded me a lot of Albie.  So much so I recommended him to the club.

He was young, played in cental midfield for Bradfoird and some fans were unsure what he offered the team.  I looked on their message boards and it was fairly similar to here.

He played there for another season and the same thing happened.  He played most if not all games and then left last summer to go to Salford where he is absolutely ripping it up and top of the passing stats by quite a margin and has 15 assists this season.

His name is Elliot Watt

Sometimes you need to move on to realise your potential but maybe Holden can get the best out of Albie.  Time will tell I guess
  • Options
    I hadn't really appreciated just how good Albie's form has been recently until I looked at the stats. 2 goals and 4 assists in 9 appearances is very impressive. Before that though he was on 1 goal and 1 assist in 19 appearances. He's got 7 more games to add to his tally but the question with him is always can you get the good version consistently. He's done better under Holden so it would be good if he'd fully turned the corner. I guess we'll see.
    Seems like McGrandles is doing quite well at Cambridge as well. Three assists in 11 games for a pretty awful team is a good return. In fact, they've only scored 7 goals altogether in those games so he's supplying nearly half their goals. McGrandles and Albie would likely fill the same spot in the team, being expected to harry and move possession on in front of Dobson so if we want to improve in that position you'd think only one could really stay
  • Options
    Aaron Henry needs a run of games to show what he can do. We all know what Albie can and cannot do 
  • Options
    Aaron Henry needs a run of games to show what he can do. We all know what Albie can and cannot do 
    Taking Morgan out now may not have given time for DH to prove he needs a new contract. That is what I believe is why DH said he will give him a run of games 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I have been certain for most of the season that we should let him go but he has changed my mind. Ideally he will improve still but even if he doesn't we are going to need squad players.
  • Options
    Ideal world, we get a squad full of better CMs. Real world, he's ahead of Payne, McGrandles, Kilkenny and Henry... so I'd shift the first 3, send Henry out on loan, get a couple in and see where we are. His upturn in form is great to see, but it's too far for me to stretch to say sign him up on a decent-length deal now, and I only really want players we can commit to for a decent-length deal. If we gave him a year contract extension tomorrow, I'd understand that call. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Taking Morgan out now may not have given time for DH to prove he needs a new contract. That is what I believe is why DH said he will give him a run of games 
    Yeah but doesn't Henry deserve that too? Probably more so.
  • Options
    Whatever we do with him, it's going to end up being the wrong decision. You can just feel it.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

Still can't believe we let him go, such an underrated player in so many ways, about to get another promotion under his belt.

I always said there was a player there in Albie, got a sweet right foot, hope he continues this form, but for me his issues were never ability but application and the nouse.
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    Rob7Lee said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Still can't believe we let him go, such an underrated player in so many ways, about to get another promotion under his belt.

I always said there was a player there in Albie, got a sweet right foot, hope he continues this form, but for me his issues were never ability but application and the nouse.
    Is that because he was always played in fits and starts and however well he played, he was always the easy option to drop.
    Every time he came back into the starting eleven he felt the need to impress instead of just concentrating on playing well.
    Albie has all the atributes to be a really good player. He has great energy and passing ability, although, not surprisingly, the odd pass will go astray.
    He complements Dobson and Fraser really well, but still some people choose to ignore what is in front of them and bang on about him having too many chances.
    Unless we get a new owner that really does want to "blow this league out of the water" and back that up with serious money, then I suggest that we be grateful for the small mercies that we currently have in our possession.

• Options
    ross1 said:
    Yeah but doesn't Henry deserve that too? Probably more so.
    Henry isn’t trying to earn a contract though, I’m sure the club have offered him one and want him to stay. I don’t think he’s ready yet from his appearances so far, definitely not for a team supposedly pushing for promotion 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Should be building a team around him next year. More than enough quality to get in the League 1 team of the year. 

Worst take away from this season. 
  • Options
    If we can get better than him then let him go. If we can’t then offer him a new contract . Pretty simple IMO. 

I think if we play a midfield 3 with Dobson and Fraser we need a box to box - engine room midfielder that will do all of the closing down can tackle and be brilliant at passing through the lines to get us moving from back to front, plus will pop up in the opponents box and score on a regular basis. 

Albie has some of those attributes. Where I am perplexed is that he can hit a cross field ball into a sixpence whilst at the same time missing our players with a simple 5m pass. 

• Options
    If we can get better than him then let him go. If we can’t then offer him a new contract . Pretty simple IMO. 

I think if we play a midfield 3 with Dobson and Fraser we need a box to box - engine room midfielder that will do all of the closing down can tackle and be brilliant at passing through the lines to get us moving from back to front, plus will pop up in the opponents box and score on a regular basis. 

Albie has some of those attributes. Where I am perplexed is that he can hit a cross field ball into a sixpence whilst at the same time missing our players with a simple 5m pass. 

It's not as simple as of youbcan get a better one get rid is it?

Next season we have Dobson, Fraser and McGrandles contracted.  You need at least 5, if your playing a 3, with someone like Henry as the 6th.

Keep Morgan, "jog" on McGrandles, get two in, preferably not only better than Morgan bit better than Dobson and Fraser as well.  But it's not that simple unfortunately.
  • Options
    Should be building a team around him next year. More than enough quality to get in the League 1 team of the year. 

One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. 
    Actually it is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read
  • Options
    McMorgan or McGrandles?