Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Albie Morgan - signed for Blackpool on a 3 year (+1 year option) deal (p54)

Comments

• Options
    He desperately needs a loan. At this moment he hasn't got the overall game to give us what we need in the Championship, but he has the potential to be something special.
    I do think he could offer us a decent attacking threat off the bench.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    He desperately needs a loan. At this moment he hasn't got the overall game to give us what we need in the Championship, but he has the potential to be something special.
    So do I tbf.
    But if he was loaned out to a league one club and played regularly it would improve him enormously. 
    If Parker and Jensen at their peak were the other options, I’d be all for him going on loan. As it is, i’m convinced he’s in our best midfield 4, regardless of the alleged defensive deficiencies (I trust LB’s judgement of this). 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So do I tbf.
    But if he was loaned out to a league one club and played regularly it would improve him enormously. 
    If Parker and Jensen at their peak were the other options, I’d be all for him going on loan. As it is, i’m convinced he’s in our best midfield 4, regardless of the alleged defensive deficiencies (I trust LB’s judgement of this). 
    As it stands I agree with you.
    But Bowyer will almost certainly bring in 2 or 3 midfield players on loan.
    If and when this happens Morgan's game time at Charlton will be very limited. 
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    I have just read what Bowyer has said about him which was what I was thinking. Last season, I can think of that sublime ball he played against Rochdale, and I can also think of him not doing the defensive basics against Doncaster and going missing. To have the right to do the sexy stuff, you have to do the ugly stuff. He needs to add this to his game and we could have something special on our hands. But he needs to be learning his trade in an environment where he can and the Championship is not right for him at this time. Maybe January he can come back.

I mean it is a lot harder, if not impossible to teach a player to have his range of passing and vision, than to teach them some positional sense, to be a bit harder and to run about a bit more (constructively). That is the element of his game that needs polishing.

Lapslie could do a job from the bench in the Chamionship chasing opponents down etc...
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    At this stage encouragement will do more good than judgement. He is a very young player.
    Exactly. An 18 year old is nowhere near the finished article. He needs experience and maturity for that.
    He's probably only second to Gomez as the most mature player of that age we've had; granted, my viewing knowledge only goes back to 92. He will gain from experience and he freely acknowledges he isn't fit enough.  I hope he's around long enough so we can see he him when he is.
    I would say Bowyer at 18 was better :wink:

Morgan actually reminds of Parker as a teenager in away, the talent is obvious but he still looks like a boy.  Everyone developed at a different rate, if at all.   I think we are a good few years away from seeing anything like the best of Albie. 
  • Options
    Parker was a tenacious tackler when he came back from loan. That is what we need to see happen to Morgan.
  • Options
    I would send him on loan to someone like an AFC Wimbledon till Christmas.
  • Options
    Yes, send him to a dirty battling team. I think they would be ideal. He needs to develop that side of his game and I can't think of anywhere better. Not too far away to keep tabs on his progress either!
  • Options
    Dropping in behind when the full back goes forward is a basic. Bows told him that at Fleet during the game.

He is brilliant at one half of a midfielders game and below average on the other half, which is not good enough at Championship level.

The good thing is that is that bit he has to improve on is the easier bit to develop, but you have to be extremely fit.

Parker was extremely good at both aspects. He is a long, long way off that at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2019
    Redrobo said:
    Dropping in behind when the full back goes forward is a basic. Bows told him that at Fleet during the game.

He is brilliant at one half of a midfielders game and below average on the other half, which is not good enough at Championship level.

The good thing is that is that bit he has to improve on is the easier bit to develop, but you have to be extremely fit.

Parker was extremely good at both aspects. He is a long, long way off that at the moment.
    Exactly right. You can teach it to anybody and you do have to be very fit too. But you try teaching an average player Morgan's vision and skills. You have no chance! Morgan has to listen to Bowyer and let him mould him into the best that can be - lots of graft and application and listening and he will become something really special.

To be honest, Bowyer was a bit of a shit and that added an element to his game as he was a more than decent player too! Morgan seems like a very nice lad, which nobody would want to change, but you can be nice off the pitch and nastier on it!
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Parker wasn't good at the darker side of the game at 18, he was at 22, even then he couldn't pace himself for 90 minutes, once he managed that he was a fantastic player. 
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So do I tbf.
    As it stands I agree with you.
    But Bowyer will almost certainly bring in 2 or 3 midfield players on loan.
    If and when this happens Morgan's game time at Charlton will be very limited. 
    Presupposing that we can bring in anyone good on our budget
  • Options
    The player whose style Albie Morgan reminds me of is Danny Murphy.
    I think the right loan would help him at this stage, for that it would need to be a high ranking League One side, perhaps Portsmouth for Jackett to encourage him defensively, or Doncaster as a more footballing side.
    All that said, if we can't bring the right players in we need to keep him here.
  • Options
    Basically LB is likening Morgan to a young Scotty Parker, undoubtedly talented but a bit of liability until he gets some graft and knowhow into his game. Parker was transformed by his Norwich loan, three months away for young Albie might mean he can have the same effect SP had on his return.
  • Options
    cfgs said:
    Basically LB is likening Morgan to a young Scotty Parker, undoubtedly talented but a bit of liability until he gets some graft and knowhow into his game. Parker was transformed by his Norwich loan, three months away for young Albie might mean he can have the same effect SP had on his return.
    To be honest - whilst no player is the same - if he applies himself to weaknesses Bowyer says he needs to work on, that wouldn't be out of the question. he is a young player with potentially an excellent career in front of him.
  • Options
    Parker was like he had been fed on raw meat when he came back from Norwich and look at the difference it made to Karlan. Fingers crossed that we get a couple in as he has huge potential and regular game time will do him the World of good. 
  • Options
    Saw Maradona as a 17-year old. Unbelievable.
    Would love to have seen ZZ live.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Bowyer is being hard on Morgan because he knows how good he can be. The fact that he's explicitly indicated his weaknesses shows how much he's trying to push him into reaching his full potential
  • Options
    I think Bowyer is being hard on Morgan because he knows how good he can be. The fact that he's explicitly indicated his weaknesses shows how much he's trying to push him into reaching his full potential
    I think this is true. So many players have limited their careers because they have settled for what they are rather than what they can be. It is the same as Aribo making the ridiculous decision to go to Scotland, just at a different stage. You have to look ahead and make the right football calls and the money will follow.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

• Options
    edited September 2019

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Bowyer saying that Albie will be going back out on loan to a non league team. Also Ben Dempsey may go out but they haven't decided yet on Josh Davison due to our attacking options.
    Alfie Doughty will be staying put. 
  • Options
    Is non-league better than playing in our under 23s? 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Dazzler21 said:
    Physically yes. He will need to 'man up' and work hard consistently  which is what he lacks presently.

EDIT: Some of these loans to non- league clubs allow them to play U23 football too or certainly used to.

• Options
    LenGlover said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Physically yes. He will need to 'man up' and work hard consistently  which is what he lacks presently.

So this would seem that Bows is happy with him technically but not physically. I don't think many would disagree.