Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Playing Golf Thread

Comments

• Hi @RedArmySE7, lessons should save you a fair few shots but you will need to practice the techniques when we all get back to the course. Make sure you jot down the key takeaways from the lessons and practice, practice, practice.

We’re all different but my normal cycle after a lesson is 1) Go out on the course and expect immediate improvement and it actually seems worse, 2) Try and go back to the old technique, gets even worse than 1), 3) Practice new technique intensively, 4) Go out on course and actually commit to new skills warts an’ all, 5) After a few rounds see a significant improvement.

This cycle normally takes a few weeks. I see too many regular golfers take lessons and abandon the learnings after a couple of rounds because it hasn’t yielded immediate results. Like all things in life it needs to be worked at, particularly a game like golf that doesn’t reward ‘natural ability’ as much as some sports.
  • BR3red said:
    Heard a rumour (I know 🙄) on LBC that fishing lakes and golf courses will come out of lockdown 1st.

All good 👍

I can still be “not very good at golf” (again) and then throw my clubs into the nearest lake 🤪
    2 courses you could choose then.......

Chelsfield Lakes
    5 Lakes 
  • Family just getting prepared for Golf courses hopefully opening in a couple of weeks.

”We are not very good”

• BR3red said:
    Family just getting prepared for Golf courses hopefully opening in a couple of weeks.

”We are not very good”

Very rarely did I buy a sleeve of golf balls, and I've been playing for over 20 years. In the good old days of corporate events I used to get given a couple of sleeves, and I used to play with someone who would meticulously spend his allocated 5 mins looking for his ball......and we'd find loads of others doing so. Worse case I'd rummage in the bargain bin of lake balls that most pro shops have by the till. 50p each or 3 for £1 used to be the norm. My favourites were Nike, Titleist, Callaway & Taylor Made. Couldn't get on with Srixon's & would avidly throw away any Top Flite's that I found. 

What's the ball(s) of choice with you lot out there ?
  • So many decent balls on the market these days. Lately been most happy using Callaway Supersoft or Chromesoft although for a cheaper option I have a lot of time for Srixon Soft Feel and Wilson Staff DX2. 
    As for the premium balls, never been a fan of the ProVs. If pushed to choose I’d go for Srixon Z Star
  • My ball of choice currently is the Nike RZN but with Nike not making apparel anymore they are becoming harder to find. Wilson Staff DX2 or DX3 will be my next choice once I have run out of RZN's but still have 2 dozen in the cupboard. As with you Taxi_Lad ProVs not a ball I would go for 
  • edited April 2020
    As I've got older my swing speed has slowed quite a bit (most golfers would say the same!). For that reason my ball of choice is Srixon Soft Feel. I've tried Calloway Supersofts but still go back to the Srixon.

Pro Vs are way too good for me!
  • Srixon AD333 - reasonable price and consistent results. I find a Pro V1 is longer off the tee for me but I can putt with more control with the AD333.
  • In the middle of an extended time out of golf awaiting shoulder surgery.  When I was playing regularly I went through phases mainly depending on what the best offers were. I take the Prov1 as my stock go to ball for competitions but I find the Callaway Chrome Soft a more than adequate substitute and generally costs about £10 a dozen less. I also like the TaylorMade TP5 but they are harder to get on deals.  My handicap is 7. I’m playing/was playing yellow balls last year due to being easier to see for me. The Titleist “yellow” is nicer than the others IMHO.  For general knockabout or winter golf I’m happy enough with Titleist’s cheaper balls except for the Velocity which is like hitting a brick (think Toplite), Callaway Supersoft or the AD333. It’ll be interesting to see what I do if/when I eventually get back to it as I doubt my swing speed will be anything like it was pre surgery and given the fact that I’ll be a year older. 

• Sponsored links:

• I recently received a box of TaylorMade TP5s from Your Golf Travel fit booking our trip to Spain in May. Obviously gonna be cancelled and if I don’t get a full refund they may be the most expensive balls in history 
  • BR3red said:
    Family just getting prepared for Golf courses hopefully opening in a couple of weeks.

”We are not very good”

Very rarely did I buy a sleeve of golf balls, and I've been playing for over 20 years. In the good old days of corporate events I used to get given a couple of sleeves, and I used to play with someone who would meticulously spend his allocated 5 mins looking for his ball......and we'd find loads of others doing so. Worse case I'd rummage in the bargain bin of lake balls that most pro shops have by the till. 50p each or 3 for £1 used to be the norm. My favourites were Nike, Titleist, Callaway & Taylor Made. Couldn't get on with Srixon's & would avidly throw away any Top Flite's that I found. 

What's the ball(s) of choice with you lot out there ?
    Those Srixon's in the picture are mine - love them! 

Thanks @br3red, they should last a round or two...
  • Golf balls - it is a conundrum really.

Speaking only for myself.

So, thin a ball (often) into the lake on the 1st hole  at my club. 

Moan to myself that I will then make a 7 and zero Stapleford points and it’s obviously going to be a crap round.

Then think, as it’s the 1st hole,  spent 3 quid already 😩

Never have I thought ....

“Mate you are shite, buy lake balls, they are only ever going to end up in one”
  • BR3red said:
    Golf balls - it is a conundrum really.

Speaking only for myself.

So, thin a ball (often) into the lake on the 1st hole  at my club. 

Moan to myself that I will then make a 7 and zero Stapleford points and it’s obviously going to be a crap round.

Then think, as it’s the 1st hole,  spent 3 quid already 😩

Never have I thought ....

“Mate you are shite, buy lake balls, they are only ever going to end up in one”
    You don't happen to play at Chelsfield do you...?  I've put a couple of balls into the pond on the 1st there before. 
  • I do play there sometimes. 

I am member at the London Club
  • BR3red said:
    I do play there sometimes. 

International course then? Do you play the Heritage? I’ve put many balls into the lake in front of the par 3 7th 🙄
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    BR3red said:

International course then? Do you play the Heritage? I’ve put many balls into the lake in front of the par 3 7th 🙄
    The par 4 10th is my lake of choice on the Heritage... 🙄
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    BR3red said:

Bit of a left hook aye?
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    BR3red said:

Bit of a left hook aye?
    Apparently so. Never a problem on the way back up the 18th for some reason! 
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    BR3red said:

Bit of a left hook aye?
    Apparently so. Never a problem on the way back up the 18th for some reason! 
    I’ve found that lake on 18 a few times🙄
  • Sponsored links:

• Pardon me ..but isn't this we are not very good at golf thread? 

If you aren't very good it's not gonna make a blind bit of difference what make ball you use ...and as for the London..well it's not meant for players who aren't very good...I know I have played there twice with different makes of ball and I was woeful, I am not very good 
  • Not a lover of The London I'm afraid.  Played it 4 times (both courses) and cant say I enjoyed any of them. 
  • Not a lover of The London I'm afraid.  Played it 4 times (both courses) and cant say I enjoyed any of them. 
    Sort of get what you're saying. Its fairly open which lulls you into believing it should be easier than it is. I personally prefer Chart Hills although I can't wait to get back to my course Redlibbets looking at the work they've been doing during the lockdown. Regular social media updates showing newly sculptured bunkers, some removed altogether and greens and fairways cut to appeal to the eye. 
  • lolwray said:
    Pardon me ..but isn't this we are not very good at golf thread? 

If you aren't very good it's not gonna make a blind bit of difference what make ball you use ...and as for the London..well it's not meant for players who aren't very good...I know I have played there twice with different makes of ball and I was woeful, I am not very good 
    I believe the phrase is “all the gear, no idea.” 

• Taxi_Lad said:
    BR3red said:

Yes play Heritage but not so much in the Winter as gets boggy.

I find par 3’s on Heritage a lot easier than the Inty to be honest.

Par 3 14th Inty is stroke index 18. Don’t think I have ever hit the green, let alone par it 🤣
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Not a lover of The London I'm afraid.  Played it 4 times (both courses) and cant say I enjoyed any of them. 
    Sort of get what you're saying. Its fairly open which lulls you into believing it should be easier than it is. I personally prefer Chart Hills although I can't wait to get back to my course Redlibbets looking at the work they've been doing during the lockdown. Regular social media updates showing newly sculptured bunkers, some removed altogether and greens and fairways cut to appeal to the eye. 
    Yes noted before you do not like LC @golfaddick. It’s all each to their own with courses, I suppose.

@Taxi_Lad .Only sometimes,  I think LC is relatively easy, not often, as I’m not very good, I think it flatters me really with my ability... but put me on a tree lined course and I am really, really not very good.
  • BR3red said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    Not a lover of The London I'm afraid.  Played it 4 times (both courses) and cant say I enjoyed any of them. 
    Yes noted before you do not like LC @golfaddick. It’s all each to their own with courses, I suppose.

@Taxi_Lad .Only sometimes,  I think LC is relatively easy, not often, as I’m not very good, I think it flatters me really with my ability... but put me on a tree lined course and I am really, really not very good.
    I think it's probably because I've been spoilt by the number of courses I've played. Not into "new" manufactured courses & much prefer heathland & links courses. I have to say that the South East, and Kent in particular, are not particularly served with good courses. Try playing some in Wales & Scotland, or even in East Anglia if you want a decent golf course. Surrey have some excellent ones but are the most costly. 
  • There you go.

I live in Beckenham, cannot stand Langley Park, which I can walk to - as full of trees!!

LC has great facilities, half hour away, my mates all go there and courses are always top notch, condition wise.

Best club/courses in UK? - no. 

Suits me down to the ground, as local and none others that any of my mates or myself would consider. Due to the fact that there is not an abundance in SE London.

• How much do you pay in membership @BR3red? If you don’t mind me asking 
  • BR3red said:
    There you go.

I live in Beckenham, cannot stand Langley Park, which I can walk to - as full of trees!!

LC has great facilities, half hour away, my mates all go there and courses are always top notch, condition wise.

Best club/courses in UK? - no. 

Suits me down to the ground, as local and none others that any of my mates or myself would consider. Due to the fact that there is not an abundance in SE London.

Totally agree. A dearth of decent courses in SE London/NW Kent.