Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Forgive my ignorance, but is Froome favourite to win it from his current position?

1 min 42 s behind.......I'm not sure how many asthma attacks are needed to pull that back?!?
    Seriously do you watch cycling?

He's 1m 42s behind van Avermaet who isnt a climber in the mountains and will disappear down the GC in a few days (38th his best finish) - His biggest issue is the fact he's a minute down on Thomas who'll either fade away come the third week or go on to win it himself

Valverde | Majka | Fuglsang are only 10secs ahead of Froome who'll be a nuisance whilst Jungels at little further ahead could be a threat - That time though is something Froome could make up in the Time Trial alone over those mentioned!!
  • Forgive my ignorance, but is Froome favourite to win it from his current position?

1 min 42 s behind.......I'm not sure how many asthma attacks are needed to pull that back?!?

He's 1m 42s behind van Avermaet who isnt a climber in the mountains and will disappear down the GC in a few days (38th his best finish) - His biggest issue is the fact he's a minute down on Thomas who'll either fade away come the third week or go on to win it himself

Valverde | Majka | Fuglsang are only 10secs ahead of Froome who'll be a nuisance whilst Jungels at little further ahead could be a threat - That time though is something Froome could make up in the Time Trial alone over those mentioned!!
    Seriously? No I don't.
  • I really wish I liked it.....but I just can't get into it.

I really think you need to be a cyclist yourself to fully appreciate it.

I respect the riders for what is obviously a ridiculously tough event - but I just don't have the patience (or the time) to get too involved in something that takes hours and hours to finish.

The track stuff is OK for me as it's a bit more explosive. It's probably why I can watch 20-20 cricket but you couldn't pay me to watch a test match.

• Yeah its definitely a struggle to watch a whole day of the Tour - I've been a fan of it myself since I was younger yet never been a proper cyclist (Only used a bike to go out with my mates to go round Danson Park etc.)

Used to hate the Mountain Stages and would love watching the highlights for the Sprint Stages yet as I've grown older its gone the opposite (probably because we're challenging as a Nation ourselves)

I respect the riders for what is obviously a ridiculously tough event - but I just don't have the patience (or the time) to get too involved in something that takes hours and hours to finish.

The track stuff is OK for me as it's a bit more explosive. It's probably why I can watch 20-20 cricket but you couldn't pay me to watch a test match.

I'm crap at cycling but I love the Tour. Obviously Cavendish, Wiggins and Froome have made it easier to watch in the last few years from a British perspective but even when it was Indurain, LeMond, etc. winning it was still amazing drama for an hour on C4 nearly every night for three weeks.
    Should have seen the delight on my Wife's face when I realised and pointed out the fact that the Charlton season ended with the Play-Offs | Warm Up Games | World Cup following in quick succession. Of course now the World Cup is over I can fully concentrate on the Tour de France at home, yet then realised the week after the final stage is Sunderland v Charlton!!

THAT is what you call a Summer of Sport!! - Not to mention the Open being on this Weekend and Wimbledon just ending
  • edited July 2018
    Think yesterday went rather well for G, Froome and Yates.

I was concerned that one of them could lose out, but they all end up in the top ten.

Good news with the mountains coming up.
  • The cobbled stage yesterday was a bit of a farce - all a bit of a lottery. A great spectacle but not sure what it tests?

I disagree. Surely it tests lots of things including courage, resilience and determination (as do many other stages) but primarily bike handling?

Other stages favour climbers, time triallers or sprinters. As a non-cyclist admittedly, I assume a stage like that is a test of something else (cobblers I hear you say...) and for the spectator adds another dimension too.

My wife has been on a bike about 3 times in her life yet loves to watch the tours and both of us watched the whole stage and really enjoyed it. The TDF is a great spectacle agreed and stages like that add hugely to our enjoyment. I guess it goes to whether you think the Tour should be designed for the competitors or the viewers or a bit of both I suppose.

Anyway I'm in awe of these guys that can race on surfaces like that and can't wait for the mountains to come which will be a diffent thing again.
    I just think it's a bit of a lottery and compromises the race - it's certainly a spectacle but it's a road race which I think the cobbled section detracts from. I don't really think it's a fair test - the riders on the tour seem divided on it.

Just watch the highlights at the end of each day or try to catch the last hour of each stage?

I personally don't mind cycling but watching entire stages takes some serious effort.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    Haha. Keep your knickers on Princess.
  • The cobbled stage yesterday was a bit of a farce - all a bit of a lottery. A great spectacle but not sure what it tests?

I disagree. Surely it tests lots of things including courage, resilience and determination (as do many other stages) but primarily bike handling?

Other stages favour climbers, time triallers or sprinters. As a non-cyclist admittedly, I assume a stage like that is a test of something else (cobblers I hear you say...) and for the spectator adds another dimension too.

My wife has been on a bike about 3 times in her life yet loves to watch the tours and both of us watched the whole stage and really enjoyed it. The TDF is a great spectacle agreed and stages like that add hugely to our enjoyment. I guess it goes to whether you think the Tour should be designed for the competitors or the viewers or a bit of both I suppose.

Anyway I'm in awe of these guys that can race on surfaces like that and can't wait for the mountains to come which will be a diffent thing again.
    I just think it's a bit of a lottery and compromises the race - it's certainly a spectacle but it's a road race which I think the cobbled section detracts from. I don't really think it's a fair test - the riders on the tour seem divided on it.
    It's not a road race. It's Le Tour.

Would you remove the backstroke from the individual medley? The LBW law in Cricket? Forward passes I RFU? Or heaven forbid the Offside Law?

• Addickted said:

The cobbled stage yesterday was a bit of a farce - all a bit of a lottery. A great spectacle but not sure what it tests?

Would you remove the backstroke from the individual medley? The LBW law in Cricket? Forward passes I RFU? Or heaven forbid the Offside Law?

Precisely. It’s about who is best on the road, be it sprint, cobbles, mountain or whatever.

Seriously? No I don't.
    Well, maybe you should fuck off and leave the thread to the people who do?
    @Leroy Ambrose tends to be more on the militant wing of cyclists @SuedeAdidas.

His hearts in the right place and it really is nothing personal.
  • stonemuse said:

Addickted said:

The cobbled stage yesterday was a bit of a farce - all a bit of a lottery. A great spectacle but not sure what it tests?

Precisely. It’s about who is best on the road, be it sprint, cobbles, mountain or whatever.
    I don't think it's a great test for the bikes that are fairly obviously not designed for the cobbled stretch - lots of punctures and crashes. I still see this type of stage as a lottery - we all see it differently.
  • stonemuse said:

Addickted said:

I don't think it's a great test for the bikes that are fairly obviously not designed for the cobbled stretch - lots of punctures and crashes. I still see this type of stage as a lottery - we all see it differently.
    It certainly breaks up any monotony that might creep in, but I think the cobbles should be used sparingly.
  • stonemuse said:

Addickted said:

They'll all be riding bikes that are designed for the cobbles - they don't ride the same bike each day. Cobbles are as much a part of bike racing as sprints and mountains.
  • Been a crash involving Gaviria and Landa in the Neutral Zone (the section of the route they cycle through before the actual Stage starts) - After going down on the cobbles you'd imagine that these next few days will be painful for Landa
  • SKY Sports also claiming that part of todays stage will go over unpaved roads (gravel) so that'll mix things up

• Sponsored links:

• according to the cyclists the gravel road shouldn't be too much of a problem. quite early on in the stage.

looking forward to watching the highlights later of this stage, especially as I went to Le Grand Bornand as a kid when another race went through there. it was from then on I got into watching road cycling.
  • Sky Updates are claiming that Greg Van Avermaet was trying to get in the breakaway

In a way it'll be good if he can hold on to the Yellow Jersey for as long as possible and not just lose it today, would certainly add an extra yet temporary factor into the GC standings
  • They're in a shite region of France today...

• Yeah, they're really going to struggle for scenery on Thursday too. Here's the view from my chalet right now...

Will you be up Alpe d'Huez on Thursday then?
  • Amazing by van Avermaert
  • stonemuse said:

Amazing by van Avermaert

Exactly how to ride in the yellow jersey if you're not a GC contender.
  • After that excellent ride from Van Avermaert today, Sky should be trying something in the next two days. They're clearly not that fussed about him but the time gaps, especially Froome's, can't be allowed to get too much more.
  • Cavendish is on his own; 41mins behind the leaders

Think is Tour for this year is done as no way will he make up time on the final climb - Hopefully can work on his fitness for the next year and come back stronger if he can stay out of trouble