Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Tour de France (2023 from p54)

Comments

• Options
    Green Jersey though... and equalled the record!!

Gettting a bit emotional thinking about it, just impossible one and a half months ago
    Fixed that for you.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Have I tuned in to master chef by mistake?  Where is egg head Wallace? 
    Hubby has just come home with goats cheese, lardons & panini’s after watching yesterday’s tour 😂😂😂
    Panini. PANINI. PANINI!!!  It’s already the plural, like graffito and graffiti. 

Rant over. Enjoy your sandwich. 
    It's just a relief that you didn't spot the apostrophe...
    I did, but in this heat I only had the energy for one rant.
  • Options
    Shame about Cavendish.  If he's not up to it next year, I'd rather he packed it in but only he'll know if he's still got it.
  • Options
    Shame about Cavendish.  If he's not up to it next year, I'd rather he packed it in but only he'll know if he's still got it.
    I know you are right ... but I really want to see him again next year  :D
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    stonemuse said:
    I know you are right ... but I really want to see him again next year  :D
    I think we all do, but not a shadow of his former self. 36 and winning stages is most amazing. 37 would be something else again. 
  • Options
    I think he still hadn't recovered from Le Tourmalet, yesterday was disappointing (I'm convinced that he felt Van Aert would kick earlier than he did, which would have opened up along the barriers), partly because his leadout was still available when he got himself boxed in.
  • Options
    Looked to me that it was the hesitation as he backed off the power as it looked like WVA was going to close the gap against the barrier. Yesterday felt like a big disappointment in the end but I guess overall it should feel like a huge achievement given a few months ago literally no one would have thought even 1 more victory would have been possible.

Surely that'll be it now? Another year older plus assuming a stronger sprinting contingent in the peloton?
  • Options
    Caleb Ewan crashing out early in the tour was beneficial to him.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Sam Bennett's issues help no end as well. 
  • Options
    Also Ewan took out Sagan who didn't show much after that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    iaitch said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    iaitch said:
    Sam Bennett's issues help no end as well. 
    iaitch said:
    Also Ewan took out Sagan who didn't show much after that.
    If you were the sort of person who believed in conspiracy theories...
  • Options
    Really hope it isnt... But that video whilst lovely looks horribly like a retirement one
  • Options
    Shame Cav didn’t get win number 35 in Paris, but what an amazing ride and an amazing come back. I would be amazed if he doesn’t get another crack at it next year. There is not a team sponsor around who would not want to see pictures of him breaking the record with their logo splashed across his chest.
    whether he can get the one more needed we will have to see, but I would never bet against him. He truly is the greatest ever sprinter in road racing. 
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    Lost his lead out man 
    Didn’t so much lose him as chose to follow Van Aert’s wheel. Such a shame, as I think he would/could have won that. He’s never struggled to beat Philipsen, who was close. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I think he still hadn't recovered from Le Tourmalet, yesterday was disappointing (I'm convinced that he felt Van Aert would kick earlier than he did, which would have opened up along the barriers), partly because his leadout was still available when he got himself boxed in.
    There was a slight gap, but his family was there, and that might have made him hold back. He commented later that ‘at least we finished safe’ (or something along those lines).

Fabulous Tour though, I’m so pleased he was able to come back and become a winner again, after being struck down in his prime. I reckon there’s still one more Tour in him. 
  • Options
    Really hope it isnt... But that video whilst lovely looks horribly like a retirement one
    It does seem a bit that way, but I have the feeling that Deceuninck-QuickStep want to see what he decides.

Another season on the books, and more importantly the additional training and support time after his illness, could be exactly what both parties want.

I think he would like to challenge himself once more (for all that he is already a legend), to see if he can eclipse Merckx, while the team needs further development to support a legitimate GC challenge, and I cannot see sufficient significant personnel changes in the next 6-8 months.

It's up to him, but Mark Cavendish has more than played his part in making this year's Tour utterly compelling, the organisers will pray for a return.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I see he "rules out concerns of technological fraud or conventional doping"; which doesn't answer any of the concerns of those who are sceptical of any individuals maintaining very high performance levels on every day of a three week tour.

But I'm just bitter and twisted, well, not just...
  • Options
    I’d be interested to know how many out of competition tests had been carried out during the pandemic- which just happens to coincide with Slovenia’s rise to the top of world cycling. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I won't claim to be an avid follower of cycling, but do watch bits of it and here in the UAE there's obviously been a lot of coverage because of Pogacar winning for UAE Team Emirates.

But what are peoples thoughts on him? He's producing levels of dominance not before seen by anyone who hasn't been doping, but he's also extremely young.

So is he just a ridiculously talented prodigy or is his team just a couple of steps ahead of the drug testers? 

I saw one comparison that he is cycling's Usain Bolt. Very good from an early age, never failing a test, but when you're that good and are beating people who are potentially doping (Bolt regularly beat known doper Justin Gatlin and now the Bahrain team just got raided) there will always be doubts.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:
    Lost his lead out man 
    Didn’t so much lose him as chose to follow Van Aert’s wheel. Such a shame, as I think he would/could have won that. He’s never struggled to beat Philipsen, who was close. 
    He had no choice, his lead out man was in the wrong place, out on the right 
  • Options
    I won't claim to be an avid follower of cycling, but do watch bits of it and here in the UAE there's obviously been a lot of coverage because of Pogacar winning for UAE Team Emirates.

But what are peoples thoughts on him? He's producing levels of dominance not before seen by anyone who hasn't been doping, but he's also extremely young.

So is he just a ridiculously talented prodigy or is his team just a couple of steps ahead of the drug testers? 

I saw one comparison that he is cycling's Usain Bolt. Very good from an early age, never failing a test, but when you're that good and are beating people who are potentially doping (Bolt regularly beat known doper Justin Gatlin and now the Bahrain team just got raided) there will always be doubts.
    It's hard to view that level of dominance in an endurance sport without some suspicion.

It's very hard to see how it could be that, particularly when someone is so young and obviously competitive, a three week Grand Tour could be completed without at least one shite day.  I know that sports science has made massive steps, but I will always have doubts about anyone who makes cycling some of the most gruelling stages in the World look seemingly effortless.  (IMHO, this is the reason why so many in France were sceptical of Sky/Ineos as well as Armstrong). 

Not sure that the comparison with Bolt holds water though, partly because his sport is explosive and hugely quick, and everyone could see where his dominance came from (in the 100m at least) when you looked at how well he moved and his body shape.

Part of the problem for Pogacar, as well, is that his team principal (as I understand it) has a history that might raise concerns.  The problem he faces is that it is not just him, it is the team (maybe especially the non-cycling members) that will face scrutiny.

And, as everyone knows, the testers are behind the curve, compared to those willing to be "flexible" in achieving success...
  • Options
    stonemuse said:
    JamesSeed said:
    stonemuse said:
    Lost his lead out man 
    He had no choice, his lead out man was in the wrong place, out on the right 
    As seen in that side on shot in the run in. But Cav has since confirmed he chose the wrong wheel. And the choice took place a bit before that side on shot. 
  • Options

A French woman has been fined €1,200 ($1,357; £1,028) for causing a huge crash at the Tour de France by waving a cardboard sign in the riders' path.

The peloton was 45km (28 miles) from the end of the first stage, when her sign clipped German rider Tony Martin.

He fell to the ground and caused dozens of other riders to follow suit, in one of the tournament's worst ever crashes.

The woman, 31, was also ordered to pay a symbolic one euro fine to France's professional cyclist association.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59582145

• Options
    clive said:

A French woman has been fined €1,200 ($1,357; £1,028) for causing a huge crash at the Tour de France by waving a cardboard sign in the riders' path.

The peloton was 45km (28 miles) from the end of the first stage, when her sign clipped German rider Tony Martin.

He fell to the ground and caused dozens of other riders to follow suit, in one of the tournament's worst ever crashes.

The woman, 31, was also ordered to pay a symbolic one euro fine to France's professional cyclist association.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-59582145

Her grandparents must be so proud
  • Options
    Not Tour related, but a heartbreaking story
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/59639369
  • Options
    Not strictly Tour related either but hope Egan Bernal makes a full recovery

Ineos have been unlucky with training injuries the last few years what with Chris Froome as well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/60113862
  • Options
    Echo that and sounds like really horrific injuries. My daughters favourite cyclist from when he won the tour.