Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Harry Lennon - retiring due to injury (p4)

Comments

• Options
    I didn't think he was a bad third tier player at all, he'll do well at Southend if he can get a run on the side.
  • Options

any idea of the fee involved ?? .obviously it will be undisclosed (to CAFC fans at least) but I thought I saw a figure of £50k somewhere but I'm assuming thats a joke.

Maybe a joke but accurate
  • Options
    edited June 2018

any idea of the fee involved ?? .obviously it will be undisclosed (to CAFC fans at least) but I thought I saw a figure of £50k somewhere but I'm assuming thats a joke.

Plus a 20% sell-on clause, £500,000 if he plays in the Prem League and a further £250, 000 for his first England cap.

You probably think I made that bit up.
  • Options

Nug said:

Good move for Lennon, getting away from the shambles of CAFC and joining a club which no doubt under CP is as professional as they come. Aren't Southend investing in a new stadium too. Sounds like an ambitious place to be, complete opposite to us.

Agree with everything you say.
    Great avatar as well.
    You should be so lucky.
  • Options

Nug said:

Good move for Lennon, getting away from the shambles of CAFC and joining a club which no doubt under CP is as professional as they come. Aren't Southend investing in a new stadium too. Sounds like an ambitious place to be, complete opposite to us.

Great avatar as well.
    You should be so lucky.
    Lucky Lucky Lucky
  • Options

Nug said:

Great avatar as well.
    You should be so lucky.
    Lucky Lucky Lucky
    Powell clearly thought when looking for a new CB, better the devil you know...
  • Options
    Started and scored in a friendly against Leeds today.
  • Options

De-Charltonised already.
  • Options

De-Charltonised already.
    Anybody can score on a debut, ask Dodoo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lennon is a much better player than Naby Sarr and was presumably on about a third of the wages. However, with no prospect of shifting the latter, Harry was moved on for a relative pittance - the figure reported was £50,000, discounted from £80,000 by Duchatelet for cash. It was suggested in the press that we turned down £150,000 for the player last summer from two clubs, believed to be Gillingham and Northampton.

No doubt we are, or will be, scrabbling around in the bargain basement for some short term solution in central defence as soon as we get an injury or two and/or if Roland receives a cash offer for Bauer that he is unable to refuse.

I think this is one deal that will come back to bite us.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    Blucher said:

Lennon is a much better player than Naby Sarr and was presumably on about a third of the wages. However, with no prospect of shifting the latter, Harry was moved on for a relative pittance - the figure reported was £50,000, discounted from £80,000 by Duchatelet for cash. It was suggested in the press that we turned down £150,000 for the player last summer from two clubs, believed to be Gillingham and Northampton.

No doubt we are, or will be, scrabbling around in the bargain basement for some short term solution in central defence as soon as we get an injury or two and/or if Roland receives a cash offer for Bauer that he is unable to refuse.

Yeah I would have taken the money last season. Putting the knock down cash up front thing aside, I don't know what the payments would have been like for that reported 150k. Given he was still injured until like October or November, I suspect it would have been a lot of back loades/performance based clauses. As I said I would still have taken the money, though we would have been down to one center back for a crucial part of the season, but as far as Roland's bad deals go, this one feels a lot more like the normal ebb and flow of a footballer's value than most of our other ridiculous transfer dealings this summer.

To say Lennon is a better player than Sarr is at best an opinion outdated by about three years, and at worst laughable.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Yeah I would have taken the money last season. But to say Lennon is a better player than Sarr is at best an opinion outdated by about three years, and at worst laughable.
    Not the biggest fan of either of them but Lennon away at Wigan last season was superb.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Yeah I would have taken the money last season. But to say Lennon is a better player than Sarr is at best an opinion outdated by about three years, and at worst laughable.
    I agree. They're both equally terrible.
  • Options
    edited August 2018

SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Not the biggest fan of either of them but Lennon away at Wigan last season was superb.
    He was. But there was a very specific reason for that, all he had to do was defend inside his own box. It's when he has to play a high line, challenge forwards physically and in the air, get on the ball, and read the game that he gets himself into trouble. I think that those things will improve if he can stay fit and get a run in the side, but we already have two left footed center backs and we just couldn't offer that to him.

My outstanding memory of his last season was him just going for a wander in the last minute against Doncaster. He cost us two points that day.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Yeah I would have taken the money last season. Putting the knock down cash up front thing aside, I don't know what the payments would have been like for that reported 150k. Given he was still injured until like October or November, I suspect it would have been a lot of back loades/performance based clauses. As I said I would still have taken the money, though we would have been down to one center back for a crucial part of the season, but as far as Roland's bad deals go, this one feels a lot more like the normal ebb and flow of a footballer's value than most of our other ridiculous transfer dealings this summer.

To say Lennon is a better player than Sarr is at best an opinion outdated by about three years, and at worst laughable.
    Not laughable at all. Would have Lennon over Sarr any day and not just because Sarr is so grossly overpaid for a liability of a defender who can't even get a regular place in league 1.
  • Options

SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Not laughable at all. Would have Lennon over Sarr any day and not just because Sarr is so grossly overpaid for a liability of a defender who can't even get a regular place in league 1.
    Why? Putting wages aside what does Lennon do that Sarr can't?
  • Options
    Is Lennon injured? Can't get Twitter at work
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Yeah he fractured his toe at the weekend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:

Yes, broken toe
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Blucher said:

Why? Putting wages aside what does Lennon do that Sarr can't?
    Concentrate
  • Options
    Getting pelters on twitter for being out drinking with Dover players Sunday night... silly boy
  • Options
    Shite footballer. Absolute liability at times for us when he wasn’t injured. He’ll be non league within 18 months 
  • Options
    He has apparently deleted twitter now
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    Shite footballer. Absolute liability at times for us when he wasn’t injured. He’ll be non league within 18 months 
    Big mistake for Dover's winning goal from him too
  • Options
    cafc4life said:
    So might Southend the way they're playing!