Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Nathan Jones - sacked by Southampton (p12)

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2019
    Vincenzo said:
    Stoke's squad cost £143million! The most expensive ever in the Championship, I think.
    A few of the expensive flops have been loaned out though. Imbula, Wimmer, Afobe (though that was a mystery seeing that they only signed him in January)
  • Options
    The timing is a bit strange. As others have said they stuck with him when they could easily have got rid sooner, then they went and beat Swansea and Fulham and looked to have turned the corner. Ok they then went and lost the next 2 (tough away) games but i thought they'd stick with him.

Also if they were going to sack him why didn't they do it on Sunday morning after the Millwall defeat, why wait 5 more days?
  • Options
    The timing is a bit strange. As others have said they stuck with him when they could easily have got rid sooner, then they went and beat Swansea and Fulham and looked to have turned the corner. Ok they then went and lost the next 2 (tough away) games but i thought they'd stick with him.

Also if they were going to sack him why didn't they do it on Sunday morning after the Millwall defeat, why wait 5 more days?
    I suppose its a case of they can sack him when they like, if they are on holiday (as i vaguely remember reading), then they can do it whenever they want.
  • Options
    Another loss - @bobmunro to pick next weeks team?
  • Options
    The timing is a bit strange. As others have said they stuck with him when they could easily have got rid sooner, then they went and beat Swansea and Fulham and looked to have turned the corner. 
    Probably after they beat Swansea and Fulham he marched into the boardroom, put two fingers up to the directors and said "Sack me now , you f*ckers and you will have a riot on your hands".  I tried something comparable in one of my (many) jobs. It did not turn out well.
  • Options
    To be fair to Jones, he's done better at Stoke than Chris Kamara!

I warned them Harry Lockett could not hack it, but they wouldn't listen. 
  • Options
    It all went Pete Tong at Stoke but if ever a Manager and Club were made for each other it has to be Nathan Jones and Luton Town. His record there is now Played 294, Won 138, Drawn 79, Lost 77 . Luton have a tough run coming up but I wouldn't bet against Luton making the Play Offs at the end of the season - on what is a minimal budget compared to most the clubs in the Championship.
  • Options
    It all went Pete Tong at Stoke but if ever a Manager and Club were made for each other it has to be Nathan Jones and Luton Town. His record there is now Played 294, Won 138, Drawn 79, Lost 77 . Luton have a tough run coming up but I wouldn't bet against Luton making the Play Offs at the end of the season - on what is a minimal budget compared to most the clubs in the Championship.
    Yup - an outstanding coach….and we let him go.

Think of some of the clowns we have had managing us since Jones left.

We can’t seem to get anything right, can we?
  • Options
    When lockdown happened in March 2020, Luton were 4 points behind us. They brought back Nathan Jones, whereas we were screwed by ESI and Taylor's desertion, and our paths have since diverged massively.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Sacked by Southampton after 14 games.

Hard to argue it wasn’t deserved. Seemed to have completely lost the plot.

I’m guessing he will end up back at Luton after Rob Edwards moves on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some people calling him the worst PL manager in history
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He lasted double the days Les Reed did with us, Les is still the shortest serving manager in PL history 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    He lasted double the days Les Reed did with us, Les is still the shortest serving manager in PL history 
    That was largely thanks to the 6 week break for the world cup though.

Les Reed actually got 4 points from 7 matches. Jones was in charge for 8 league games and they lost 7 of them, so statistically he was worse than Reed.
  • Options
    Thread title needs amending methinks @AFKABartram
  • Options
    Luton fans wouldn't want him back again.
  • Options
    he's coming home, he's coming home, he's coming, Natahan's coming home,,,,
  • Options
    If Holden were to depart would he be welcomed here?
    knows the club, did a superb job at Luton despite limited resources but might be a bit fiery for Thomas I suspect
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Surely that's De Boer, lost all his games.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    knows the club, did a superb job at Luton despite limited resources but might be a bit fiery for Thomas I suspect

Sorry but "he knows the club" is the biggest load of cods wallop.  It's close to "he gets us".
    I disagree.  He worked here previously didn’t he?  Ergo he knows the club better than many.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We have a toadstool with his name on it
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Surely that's De Boer, lost all his games.
    If only Palace had given him the whole season.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

Sorry but "he knows the club" is the biggest load of cods wallop.  It's close to "he gets us".
    I disagree.  He worked here previously didn’t he?  Ergo he knows the club better than many.
    And what relevance does that have to getting results on a Saturday?

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

How long ago and for how long ?. This ain't the same club by anything other than name.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Swisdom said:

And what relevance does that have to getting results on a Saturday?

He gets that the fans want to see hard working players who play a style suited to their abilities in order to win enough games to meet or potentially exceed expectations.

I’m sure you’d agree we’re a rather unique club in that respect.
    You would have thought other fans would have caught on by now wouldn't you? 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    No!!!!!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    No!!!!!

I'll see that no and raise you a double no.
  • Options
    was an odd appointment in the first place at southampton tbh. Has now shown twice he can't cut it at a club with higher expectations.