Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Why can't we defend a lead?

13»

Comments

• Options
    I went to Saturdays game with a mate who supported Charlton, but hadn’t been to a lot of recent games for whatever reason. He said he thought we looked like a team of individuals, and not a team (I couldn’t argue with that) and he didn’t think we had enough drive in midfield (I think we have, we’ve got Dobbo, but we haven’t got backup for Dobbo).
  • Options
    I went to Saturdays game with a mate who supported Charlton, but hadn’t been to a lot of recent games for whatever reason. He said he thought we looked like a team of individuals, and not a team (I couldn’t argue with that) and he didn’t think we had enough drive in midfield (I think we have, we’ve got Dobbo, but we haven’t got backup for Dobbo).
    Those are, with respect to your mate, fucking bizarre criticisms given the performance. Did he watch the game through a weird filter where Fraser and Morgan became invisible? 
  • Options
    I personally can’t say I agree with that.

Firstly I thought for a large chunk of that game that was one of our best midfield performances of the season. When we were in the ascendancy it was because we started to control the game from our midfield, nullifying Lincoln’s directness.

Morgans pressing, Fraser ability on the ball and Dobson shielding the back 4 all contributed to that. 

Secondly of course we gave away our customary goal, but I don’t think a team of individuals who have not won a home game since October, in those conditions, with that amount of added time, against a team playing that direct, would not have buckled under the pressure.
  • Options
    Seems to be very little confidence in this side - confidence literally drained away at the end of the game on Saturday. However technically limited our players are they should be better at closing a game out.
  • Options
    If he meant the last 15 minutes then fair enough, but they were playing in a monsoon.

For (most of) the rest of the game our midfield were outstanding and we played as a team brilliantly. 
  • Options
    edited January 2023
    Two things can happen when a team scores the first goal. One of the things involves the team that scores the goal. Do they become a bit more cautious, a lot more cautious or try to stay the same? The second involves the team who have conceeded the goal. Do they carry on as they were hoping to take a chance that may still come their way or do they go for it taking risks? Depending on the point of the game it may be a graduation through the game, taking more risks. The strength of the leading team is a factor too.

Now if you are playing well and are on top of a side, it is very inconsiderate of opponents to change their tactics as it is forcing you to change yours which have been working well up to now. Although quite a few managers don't react to this probably because it has been working well up to now! But the combination of being a bit more cautious and your opponents being less cautious can change the whole direction of the match up to that point. Then the team that is leading is having more pressure on their defence and some defences are better when not under so much pressure.

I think that the leading team needs a very strong defence or needs to react to the change in tactics of their opponents by actually becoming more offensive. The reason your opponents didn't start the game so offensively is because it is risky and not the optimum way. However this may not be helpful if you are a bit wasteful in the final third. I think our defence is prone to lapses under pressure and we can be a bit wasteful in the final third which is why a goal lead is not always kept. Address both or even one of these aspects and it will be a rarer occurence. It probably can be addressed with one or two players or increased confidence sometimes.
  • Options
    The title is wrong, 'the lead' part should be removed.

Our defence is bad generally, i'd go as far as to say. One of the worst in the last 30 years.
  • Options
    It has always been thus with Charlton since as far back as I can remember and has been a running joke between myself and @Chunes for about 20 years. 

A 2-0 lead at Charlton is never a comfortable lead.