Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    It could get complicated in the lower leagues if the 2 relegated teams are either north or south based.
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    It could get complicated in the lower leagues if the 2 relegated teams are either north or south based.
    It already happens with the current system, if the relegated club would go to one division but the champions of the other division win the playoff. If Wolves had beaten Southampton in last year's playoff to decide who replaced Watford, someone from the south midlands would have had to have been shoved from the South division to the North to balance the numbers. 
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    It already happens with the current system, if the relegated club would go to one division but the champions of the other division win the playoff. If Wolves had beaten Southampton in last year's playoff to decide who replaced Watford, someone from the south midlands would have had to have been shoved from the South division to the North to balance the numbers. 
    but the relegated teams will be losing money and potentially having to travel greater distances.
  • Options
    Beth Roe wins women's POTY. Well deserved. I voted for Keira Skeels but Beth would have been my second choice. 
  • Options
    Well-deserved. I also voted for Skeels but I was torn between her and Roe, and I'm really happy that Roe's been rewarded for another great season. Excellent player
  • Options
    Delighted for Beth but I voted for Addison as I just love her commitment.
    Really hope during this takeover (if it ever happens) the women get to carry on building 🙏🏻
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I was initially surprised to hear than Sian Rogers came second in the vote but in hindsight I haven't given her enough credit. She came in to replace our POTY from last season and we haven't missed Cumings for a second (apart from as a person because she was lovely). I've always been impressed by Rogers but when I really think about it she's been superb. Hope we can sign her permanently.
  • Options
    I was initially surprised to hear than Sian Rogers came second in the vote but in hindsight I haven't given her enough credit. She came in to replace our POTY from last season and we haven't missed Cumings for a second (apart from as a person because he was lovely). I've always been impressed by Rogers but when I really think about it she's been superb. Hope we can sign her permanently.
    She's been excellent. Although the standard of goalkeeping in the women's game has improved hugely in recent years, there's still a huge difference between the best of them and the rest. We've been fortunate to have a succession of really talented keepers in recent years. 
  • Options
    The National League playoff to decide who replaces Coventry in the division will be Nottingham Forest v Watford. To be played on the 20th at Milton Keynes. We're a few weeks from knowing for sure who will come down from WSL to replace Bristol; Reading look favourites for the drop at present.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Watford are confirmed as the team promoted to replace Coventry. This season they've been playing some games at Vicarage Road and some at Wealdstone FC. Nice easy away trip, either way.
  • Options
    The last member of next season's division is confirmed - Reading were relegated from the WSL today so replace Bristol. They've been playing all matches at whatever the Madejski Stadium is called this year, which now has its own station opened since we were last there - Reading Green Park.
  • Options
    I wonder what the fare will be from Reading. My Freedom Pass gets me there free on the Elizabeth line trains.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    One less team to worry about next season then, the part time clubs seem to struggle holding on to players and sustaining a challenge over the season
  • Options
    Good to see that the non Valley games will be played at The Oakwood.
  • Options
    Hennessy, Henson, Follis and Bruton leaving at the end of their contracts. Nothing too devastating there. I feel like Follis flattered to deceive a little bit and had some real issues with final third decision-making. The other three were hard workers but generally backups and I think we can get better players in those spots, as much as I enjoyed Hennessy barreling into people late into games. I hope they go on to do good things.
  • Options
    Trying to sell player kit sponsorship when there has been no confirmation of which players have contracts for the new season is just plain daft.
  • Options
    Hennessy, Henson, Follis and Bruton leaving at the end of their contracts. Nothing too devastating there. I feel like Follis flattered to deceive a little bit and had some real issues with final third decision-making. The other three were hard workers but generally backups and I think we can get better players in those spots, as much as I enjoyed Hennessy barreling into people late into games. I hope they go on to do good things.
    Bruton is retiring isn't she?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Bruton is retiring isn't she?
    Bruton announced her retirement before this announcement.

Henson started most of the games last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Key dates for the 2023-4 season:

27 Aug first league fixtures
    24 Sept first blank weekend due to an international window
    10 Dec FA Cup Round 3 (where we enter)
    14 Jan, 11 Feb next couple of FA Cup rounds, if relevant
    28 April last league fixtures
    12 May Women's FA Cup final (or it may be Saturday 11th)

I haven't seen a fixture release date yet. The WSL will be starting and ending several weeks later than the Championship due to the World Cup, which may mean the first few weeks of the season will have match dates and times moved around for TV, as happened last season.
  • Options
    Still no announcement of players who are contracted for the new season. 

So I'm supposed to buy a season ticket without knowing who will be playing. Just over a week until the earlybird discount ends.
  • Options
    Well the kit launch implies we'll still have Roche, Godfrey and McGowan this season then. Barely a working ACL between them mind.
  • Options
    Well the kit launch implies we'll still have Roche, Godfrey and McGowan this season then. Barely a working ACL between them mind.
    2 or 3 had two year deals. 
  • Options
    Early bird season ticket discount extended. Hardly a surprise.

London City Lionesses are in big trouble. 8 players have been released.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66041121

• Options
    It's incredibly hard to run a women's club in the upper levels completely independently. I can't think of anyone who's made a go of it for more than a few years, other than Cardiff who seem to manage OK one tier below us. Even when we had a period with no meaningful support from CAFC, we still had the club name, which helps a lot in getting sponsorship and donations. I hope Lionesses will be OK, but what they've been trying to do is very ambitious compared to what anyone else has ever managed.
  • Options
    New one year deals for Angela Addison and Kiera Skeels. Two huge renewals there
  • Options
    Beth Roe now as well, one year extension. That's three absolutely key players kept. Hopefully we can convince N'Dow to come back permanently and add a quality left back and there won't be a better defence at this level
  • Options
    Would be good to see Harley Bennett and Lily Agg back at the club following their release by London City Lions.

• Options
    Any idea when the fixtures will be announced?