Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options

Winds me up how keen some of our fans are to send someone like Solly to the knackers yard. It’s been another perfectly solid season from Sols, despite having to play a substantial amount of games at left back, and he’s been a near every present - not had a for a past it player whose legs knees have gone.

Proper Charlton and the exact sort you want in the trenches with you.

"He's only 5'3"
  • Options

Winds me up how keen some of our fans are to send someone like Solly to the knackers yard. It’s been another perfectly solid season from Sols, despite having to play a substantial amount of games at left back, and he’s been a near every present - not had a for a past it player whose legs knees have gone.

Quite often it’s just controversial statement for the sake of a bit of attention.
  • Options

Spot on. Had a few on here last season writing him off for ever, total madness
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Can’t believe people get on his back, especially thinking back to the dire right backs we had for years before he broke into the side, some of whom are still playing at a higher level than us (somehow).

Legend.
  • Options
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Solly

Quite surprised that Solly has already made more league appearances this season than in the previous 2
  • Options
    Is Solls out of contract this summer?
  • Options

Is Solls out of contract this summer?

Nope, has a Contract till the end of next season
  • Options

Quite surprised that Solly has already made more league appearances this season than in the previous 2

I was thinking this earlier, I remember the last two seasons he was at times alternating games to rest his knee.
    Not sure if Bowyer has man managed him a lot better or his knee has improved but im glad either way.
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

I was thinking this earlier, I remember the last two seasons he was at times alternating games to rest his knee.
    Not sure if Bowyer has man managed him a lot better or his knee has improved but im glad either way.
    I thought Chris mentioned in his Testimonial Q&A that he'd learnt to manage his knee a lot better so he could play more now?
  • Options
    There are times when his game drops, but there are other times you watch him one on one with an opponent much faster than him and he still gets the ball. One of the joys of watching football live is those little bits of skill where you see a move coming together and think "oh no" and then Solly is there to take the ball away from danger.
    A top player for us and may well be the last one club man we have - and that's a shame for him as well as had he not got injured I've no doubt he would have played higher.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

LTKapal said:

I thought Chris mentioned in his Testimonial Q&A that he'd learnt to manage his knee a lot better so he could play more now?
    KI wasn’t there but my recollection was that he had some keyhole surgery and cleaned out some shit from in his knee that had been bothering him for the past couple of seasons.

Pretty sure I’m not making that up.
  • Options

Can’t believe people get on his back, especially thinking back to the dire right backs we had for years before he broke into the side, some of whom are still playing at a higher level than us (somehow).

Legend.

Familiarity breeds contempt. He played under Powell in L1 and was twice the player people thought he would be. Went up a league and didn't look out of place. He had his injury troubles and we were all wringing our hands about how much we missed him, me included. Now he's just the same. He's never been quick, he's always been hardworking, good 1 on 1, rarely dominated by his winger; we're just used to it and it makes him easy to see as not standing out. He was perfect under Powell for balance reasons as we had overlapping left back, more stable and defensively capable left midfielder, defensive right back, attacking right winger. Since then Solly looks less like the modern full back as he doesn't bomb on like people expect but he's still a fantastic player and one we're lucky to have. I hope he's here forever.
    To begin with, I think he's one of the best right backs in the league. But he did use to have an electric burst of acceleration. He had this one move, where he would charge in to tackle a flying winger at 90 degrees to him. He would make the tackle at full speed, then somehow turn and move up the wing in one move. That's possibly the one thing he has lost, but I think that would put him in the Top Champ/Lower Prem potential at the time.
  • Options

Legend.

Familiarity breeds contempt. He played under Powell in L1 and was twice the player people thought he would be. Went up a league and didn't look out of place. He had his injury troubles and we were all wringing our hands about how much we missed him, me included. Now he's just the same. He's never been quick, he's always been hardworking, good 1 on 1, rarely dominated by his winger; we're just used to it and it makes him easy to see as not standing out. He was perfect under Powell for balance reasons as we had overlapping left back, more stable and defensively capable left midfielder, defensive right back, attacking right winger. Since then Solly looks less like the modern full back as he doesn't bomb on like people expect but he's still a fantastic player and one we're lucky to have. I hope he's here forever.
    To begin with, I think he's one of the best right backs in the league. But he did use to have an electric burst of acceleration. He had this one move, where he would charge in to tackle a flying winger at 90 degrees to him. He would make the tackle at full speed, then somehow turn and move up the wing in one move. That's possibly the one thing he has lost, but I think that would put him in the Top Champ/Lower Prem potential at the time.
    Yeah I was pretty convince had Rhoys Wiggins were going to go onto play in the Premier League, but injuries kind of did for that ambition for both of them.
  • Options
    He let more crosses go over vs AS than he used to in half a season. But you'd back him 1 vs 1 and sweeping up around the box.
  • Options
    Dependable hard-working and a fighter - exactly the sort of player we need.
  • Options

Legend.

Yeah I was pretty convince had Rhoys Wiggins were going to go onto play in the Premier League, but injuries kind of did for that ambition for both of them.
    To be fair to rhoys, he got re-signed by bournemouth when they got promoted. But never played a game.
  • Options
    This week sees the fantastic work of academies across the country celebrated as part of the #RaisedInTheEFL campaign.

As part of the campaign we sat down with Charlton Athletic Academy Manager Steve Avory to look at the development of some of the stars to come through at the club’s Sparrows Lane training ground.

This series begins with Steve talking about one-club man Chris Solly, who has spent 10 years in the first team after coming through the Addicks youth system.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/5c5b13417f48c/raised-in-the-efl-chris-solly
  • Options
    Solly not involved again last night. What is happening here, is he injured or just way down the pecking order?