Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Chris Solly

Comments

• Options
    There was a time when if Solly was not on the team sheet, I was worried Charlton would not be at their best, he was such a key figure. 

That hasn't been the case for a while, others have become more important in the last couple of seasons such as Cullen, Taylor and others. 

Having a backup right back would have been useful of course but in the grand scheme of what he has delivered and brought to the club, he is fine by me. 

Whatever his reasoning, he wasn't the one who could have stopped us being relegated in my opinion. No where near the same level as Taylor. 
  • Options
    If he is fit and well, why hasn't he signed for another club?
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:
    There was a time when if Solly was not on the team sheet, I was worried Charlton would not be at their best, he was such a key figure. 

That hasn't been the case for a while, others have become more important in the last couple of seasons such as Cullen, Taylor and others. 

Having a backup right back would have been useful of course but in the grand scheme of what he has delivered and brought to the club, he is fine by me. 

Whatever his reasoning, he wasn't the one who could have stopped us being relegated in my opinion. No where near the same level as Taylor. 
    So he makes exactly the same decision as Lyle Taylor but, because he is now shit, his decision can be excused. 
    That's some weird logic. 
    If it is all the same, no matter what someone has done before, then why is David Davies not crucified as much on here? Because he wasn't good enough? 

Didn't outline Solly as shit either, I said he wasn't a key player anymore, there is a clear difference. 

The goals needed from our talisman/key player, which we desperately needed, would have kept us up and the other a sub right back I don't think could. 

Not sure why that is weird, I didn't say "it's OK to just down tools and sod your contract because it's Chris solly". For a bit of perspective there is no way I would have thought a year ago I would be thinking a player was simply 'fine by me' when he left after giving 10 years to the club, they should be legendary tier. That is disappointing but I'm not going to grumble about him being this and that when there has been no clear reason why he didn't come back. 
  • Options
    Fiiiiiish said:

So he makes exactly the same decision as Lyle Taylor but, because he is now shit, his decision can be excused. 
    That's some weird logic. 
    Hardly, Taylor would have been one of the first names on the team sheet, Solly was way down the pecking order and therefore not influential.
  • Options
    Did Bowyer actually say Solly was refusing to play or sign a month extension?

He went chapter and verse on Taylor, said Davies didn't feel safe coming back to London but didn't say much about Solly.  Only that Solly "was the same" after talking about Taylor's "life changing move".  Well Solly wasn't going to get a life changing move was he? 

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/manager-lee-bowyer-reveals-lyle-taylor-will-not-pull-on-charlton-shirt-again/

If Solly refused to return he is as bad as Taylor, if he was told to not bother after a fall out with Bowyer its a totally different kettle of fish. 

It puts the clubs comms in a very difficult position, either a legend (how he should be remembered) shat on the club, or the club shat on him.  

• Options
    Is there confirmation of a fallout with Bowyer or just hearsay
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Any word on Solly? This is all quite odd?!
  • Options
    Maybe Exeter will come in for him after the Watkins windfall. 
  • Options
    Still nothing on Solly. It's not as if he's even been training with anyone or playing as a triallist
  • Options
    Is he okay even?
  • Options
    Still nothing. No new club, not even training with one as far as i know, still no explanation on his departure after many years at the club.

All very strange.
    @Ollywozere ?
  • Options
    Taylor had 20 thousands reasons why he left early but why did Chris Solly ?

Have the idiot Charlton fans been giving him dogs abuse on line ?

After being at Cafc for about 17 years it seems such a sad way to bow out.
    I can't see how Chris could pass a medical with the state of his knees ?

Perhaps Chris is busy playing golf and watching Arsenal on TV.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    It does feel upsetting how this has ended with Solly. He clearly did not act out of greed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m not going to give him pelters, who knows what’s going on , he might have a serious health problem ( I hope not) or a family member seriously unwell.
    I'll be honest, that was the thought that went through my head at the time when there was no further info forthcoming.
  • Options
    I saw him down in Hastings the weekend the season started, he was with what looked like his family, partner, baby, parents/in-laws. Didn’t want to bother him as he’s clearly a private person. Wouldn’t think he’s made for life yet even though he’s been a pro for 10+ years, surely he needs another club or to be doing something in the future? Maybe the knees are causing issues passing a medical at another club.
  • Options
    Ive said it before, he just fell out with Bowyer. End off. He let himself and the club down 
    If he fell out with Bowyer, we need to know what it was about before we judge him. Unlike Taylor, he hasn't got another club and he has been a great servant. I recall saying I preferred Francis to him, and fear that might be where the CL height test originated as height was the reason. I think there were a good few seasons where he proved me wrong, even though Francis became a Premier League player.