Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Uboat said:
    People are seriously having a discussion about how to expand the ground? Bloody hell. 
    It’s all about the potential of the club for a prospective buyer. A few pages back on this thread there was a comment that somebody walked away because charlton wasn’t big enough. We’ve now proved there is a potential fan base bigger than the grounds capacity so the next question for a prospective buyer is can the grounds capacity be increased.
    Filling the ground for a single game isn't really proof of anything? 
  • edited May 2019
    Uboat said:
    People are seriously having a discussion about how to expand the ground? Bloody hell. 
    It’s all about the potential of the club for a prospective buyer. A few pages back on this thread there was a comment that somebody walked away because charlton wasn’t big enough. We’ve now proved there is a potential fan base bigger than the grounds capacity so the next question for a prospective buyer is can the grounds capacity be increased.
    If a potential buyer walked away because Charlton weren’t big enough then it meant that that buyer and/or their advisors hadn’t bothered to do even the most basic research regarding the club and its facilities before declaring any intent towards the club.The size of the ground and average attendances for years in the different divisions are readily available within a minute of gazing at the Internet. This demonstrates Roland type levels of due diligence! We dodged another bullet there.

It is gratifying that we have sold so many tickets for this game but it is not unusual for a team to sell more tickets for a one-off final at Wembley than their current ground capacity. Newport are doing it tomorrow and most of their followers tomorrow have much further to travel than most of ours on Sunday.
  • 1625, Kent & Essex suffer terrible flooding as the largest ever tidal wave comes up the Thames.
  • Uboat said:
    Redrobo said:
    Driving this morning listening to Jim White and he said that there was good news coming re sale of Charlton, acknowledged that he had been there before but news was real.
    He's going to end up like those lads who are always announcing the end of the world then look stupid. 

They will be right one day

A bloody broken watch is right at least twice a day.
  • Over 40,000 fans at say an average £50 for a ticket for this game is £2 million and that’s before you start adding on the catering and merchandising. The valley may not hold 40k at the moment but it easily could, more if you redevelop the west stand. If a prospective buyer can’t see a viable business model in that then we probably don’t want them anyway. 
    Didn’t you mean to say East Stand?
    No, the plans for the east won’t add that much because of the gardens behind it but knock down the existing west stand and you can build something as big as you like. 
    You're wrong.

The once decent and trusty Murray said they could redevelop the away end and fill in the corners.
  • Over 40,000 fans at say an average £50 for a ticket for this game is £2 million and that’s before you start adding on the catering and merchandising. The valley may not hold 40k at the moment but it easily could, more if you redevelop the west stand. If a prospective buyer can’t see a viable business model in that then we probably don’t want them anyway. 
    Unless you are one of the big 6 clubs, there is no such thing as a “viable business model” in football. 

Also, I don’t see how a promotion game attendance/money means anything for the business model of the club as an ongoing concern. Charlton ain’t gonna average 40,000 people now or ever. Certainly not at $50 per ticket per match, which equates to $1150 per season ticket in the Championship. 

Charlton is an awful “business” and anyone hoping to make it a successful business will destroy it. We’ve had that already with RD and I am not hoping for round two with someone else.
  • I’ve read elsewhere that aJim White says it’s as close as it’s ever been...

just saying what ive read.
  • Sponsored links:

• Swisdom said:
    I’ve read elsewhere that aJim White says it’s as close as it’s ever been...

Jjust saying 

• I do remember there were plans for a small second tier on the East Stand, the JSS redeveloped into a triple tier stand and the quadrants filled in to take the ground up to 40,000 capacity - and finished.

Would we not be better off demolishing the East boxes and roof and then rebuild them and the roof with extra rows of seats added to the stand already? You could probably add more rows than just the two or three that were on the original drawings, added to the fact a 'tier' with so few rows would look silly.

Same with the JSS, could it not be rebuilt as one big tiered stand including the quadrants? Spurs have shown you don't need to have tiers of stands every side of the ground, I really like how they designed that huge one tiered stand behind the goal.
  • Swisdom said:
    I’ve read elsewhere that aJim White says it’s as close as it’s ever been...

just saying what ive read.
    It is as close as it’s ever been ... which is distant and remote
  • LenGlover said:
    Oh look more rumours of a takeover to douse any ideas that might be circulating for protests at Wembley.

For the record I would not support protests at Wembley personally as this is a day to ignore Duchatelet completely and get behind the team as they try to fix the mess he has made of things.
    I dunno - I think there's room for a loud 'We want Roland Out' for the cameras, especially if we're winning and if he's watching. 
  • It’s happening!
  • Solidgone said:
    It’s happening!
    What's happening?
  • Uboat said:
    But not filling it is
  • Sponsored links:

• Please happen now , pretty please :sunglasses:
  • Then someone kicked him in the knackers. Probably Bielik 
    Close! He threw him.

• JamesSeed said:
    I’m saying nothin’
    Nor me...It’s happening!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!