Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Mrkinski said:
    1977, Punk’s Year-Zero - and The Stranglers released their debut album “Rattus Norvegicus”

https://youtu.be/cBojbjoMttI

I think I’m gonna throw up!
    TBF at the time I was mostly listening to Yes, Genesis and The Groundhogs....
  • edited August 2019
    I hesitate to say this as we are reasonably happy at this precise moment and do not wish to start an unnecessary argument.

However, once again I assert that RD isn't vindictive and isn't delaying the sale to rile CAFC fans.

If he was, why didn't he just accept the biggest open goal, he'll ever get ?

Why didn't he sell Lyall Taylor right on the deadline ?

If his motive was so, he would have done it with absolute glee.

(Yes, I know he may have been concerned about further damage to his reputation and protests, but even so he would have done it if that was his primary motive as many people claim).
    How about he was given an ultimatum by Bowyer......don’t forget Richard Cawley’s cryptically worded “portals of hell” comment.

Just putting it out there CE.
    Possible, but like I say, if his primary motive was to spite Charlton fans, he would have gone ahead.
    In fact it would have been even better for him.
    Our 2 idols both leaving, Bowyer and Taylor.
    It would be the best thing ever for him, if he was purely trying to hurt us the fans.

(PS I didn't forget the portals of hell, as I included it in my post).
  • I’m starting to get the impression that perhaps for the first time since Duchatelet owned us that he has found a manager / coach that he trusts and perhaps even likes. We know that he can be strangely loyal once he trusts someone. Just look at the incompetence of and loyalty he showed to Meire and the confidence and trust he has in Dreisen when most can see straight through the inadequacy of both. Perhaps Bowyers built a relationship that up to a works when others have tried and failed. Our recent transfer window dealings are rather odd compared to any window previously. He’s still as mad a a box of frogs and we need him gone.
    No supported by his treatment of Bowyer over his contract, which was pitiful.
    Initially that’s true but RD soon backtracked. I also get the impression that Bowyer isn’t the sort of character to not say what he is thinking. We haven’t really heard anything negative said by Bowyer even when the contract talks collapsed. 
  • edited August 2019
    I’m starting to get the impression that perhaps for the first time since Duchatelet owned us that he has found a manager / coach that he trusts and perhaps even likes. We know that he can be strangely loyal once he trusts someone. Just look at the incompetence of and loyalty he showed to Meire and the confidence and trust he has in Dreisen when most can see straight through the inadequacy of both. Perhaps Bowyers built a relationship that up to a works when others have tried and failed. Our recent transfer window dealings are rather odd compared to any window previously. He’s still as mad a a box of frogs and we need him gone.
    No supported by his treatment of Bowyer over his contract, which was pitiful.
    Initially that’s true but RD soon backtracked. I also get the impression that Bowyer isn’t the sort of character to not say what he is thinking. We haven’t really heard anything negative said by Bowyer even when the contract talks collapsed. 
    That’s called professionalism. His candour, on the other hand, is not helpful to RD.
  • Mrkinski said:
    1977, Punk’s Year-Zero - and The Stranglers released their debut album “Rattus Norvegicus”

https://youtu.be/cBojbjoMttI

The good old days. Can't imagine seeing such like on BGT sadly.
  • I've realised that I can trash this "protest affects sale" once and for all. In the case of "the Europeans" it is exactly part of the attraction of the club. That is because their intermediary is a proper fan, who has briefed them ( with a/v evidence) that the vinegar pissers are often the same people who rescued and helped develop the club over 20 years. Since the main man owns a club with a strong community identity which he has built on, he sees the parallels and likes them. Nor, i believe, will the breakeven story impress them
    one bit. What matters is an agreed price with 100% transparency on the debt they would take on. And you can quote all that to de Turck. 

Sadly though it may be too late but I hope to find out more next week.
    Hi mate is the sentence above a 'gut' feeling, or were you told a few weeks ago they were defo walking away? I was kinda hoping that they were going to see if RD would ask them to come back and negotiate again, although what about I wouldn't have a clue because surely the price had been agreed?
    Hi Malc, hope you are keeping well.

the exact status of my knowledge of the situation is that the intermediary has just returned from a much needed holiday with his wife recovering from a serious op. As yet, he has not received a proper briefing from the guy who met with Duchatelet team (and I don't know if he met with RD himself). He hopes to get that next week and then feed info back to me. The extent of the info may be proscribed by the NDA. However the earlier feedback he got exactly mirrored @Airman Brown comment above. Goalposts being moved more times than at the Olympic Stadium in summer. Whether they are prepared to come back or have concluded that he really is impossible, we don't currently know. 

It would appear that among the other many things RD has not learnt despite his age, you can add the necessity of building up a level of trust between negotiating parties. People ask how he can have become so rich when he is so incompetent. I suspect that when his companies have bought, he has had the usual raft of professionals handling negotiations. As with other aspects of his football tenure, which he regards as his personal plaything, he wants to handle this himself, with predictable consequences.

At Melexis, his most well known company, he is just one of the directors now. I reckon they persuaded him to leave it to the professionals. If only his clubs could have done the same. At least at Jena they were able to do so, and as a result they are in their second season in a higher league, albeit having started badly. 
    Hi ya Richard
    Thanks for the update, all we can do then is sit and hope that your crew come back in, yet I would understand why they may not if RD is that 'fickle'. I still think something has happened in the last few days to see such a change in RD's transfer behaviour, unless of course he IS that fickle, that he decides when he wakes up each morning what he is going to do next forgetting what he said yesterday!! I don't buy that last statement I just made by the way, but I do believe, as I said, something has changed.....if everyone has walked away, perhaps he has finally realised he wont get what he's asking for and is looking for a 2nd promotion to get what he wants? Who knows? however it'll be interesting to hear from your contact next week.
  • Oof. That was a day in the life. Blinking in the morning sun, and reading posts above I too have the feeling that something has changed. Obviously we didn't throw fee money around but some of those players have to be paid a decent wage. And yes, other Championship clubs had cash to burn but some don't, because they don't have parachute money. But for me the most significant thing was holding the line on Taylor, both from the  playing side, perspective and the behaviour under dealing pressure. @Airman Brown wrote a couple of days earlier, that Brentford knew how to play Duchatelet after the Konsa deal, and that rang true to me, but yesterday it didn't work for them, and they seem to have rather shafted themselves as a result. Satisfying in itself, but unprecedented in the Douchebag era, is it not? 

I am not going soft on resolve that he must be persuaded to sell, and ideally before the next window, but I think those of us with possibilities to do so (including Fans Forum attendees) should try to get some intelligence on whether possibly the budget did increase upwards a bit, and/or whether somehow Bowyer has established a trust level with RD that others never managed. Some insight on this would help us shape the nature of protests/ pressure that we should now exert on him. 

The portals of hell stayed shut, its a beautiful morning (here anyway) and we go into a game tomorrow with Lyle Taylor leading the line and another Wembley hero returning. We cannot get carried away and Stoke will be a handful, but let's drink in the moment. In a small way I think we all won, yesterday.
    Brentford played out exactly as had been predicted to me - with the late cash upfront offer repeating the Konsa tactic - and if the Toney deal had gone through I am certain Taylor would have been allowed to leave. They were willing to pay him three times his Charlton salary and they were confident of getting him. The question is where his head will be now.
    Downwards, and not scoring 6 by January I'd reckon.
  • Pretty sure everyone hasn’t walked away. 

I’m waiting for an analysis of the window to judge whether Roland has changed his transfer policy. I suspect Bowyer has done a good job balancing the books with the sale of Dijksteel. Not sure how much extra he is or isn’t going to pay for any new (or increased) salaries. 

I suspect not all that much, if anything at all, when recent savings are taken into account. 
  • edited August 2019
    The healthy debate was Spite against Money.

Score draw ? Money is his main motivation
    Because of the kudos more than say buying experience shoes.

I agree spite took a bashing with the 10 pm phone call with an improved offer for Lee after RD told his agent to do one.
    Plus not selling Lyle at 4.59 and 54 seconds on Thursday AFTER the Toner bid was rejected.

But not all about the money if he didn't take the late offer from Brentford ?

May  not be spite but can't just be money.  Could the threat of a D-Day
    re-inactment have  worried the old feller ?

No logic with his scrambled brain.

Ps. I get the Toner sell on would be more because of being 6 years younger than Lyle.

• Anyone in the directors box later?.
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone in the directors box later?.
    Expecting @bobmunro to be sidled up with the away Directors with a large plate of vol au vents.
  • 1977, violence breaks out as The National Front march from New Cross to Lewisham.
  • No new owner around?.
  • 1977, violence breaks out as The National Front march from New Cross to Lewisham.
    Typical Millwall 
  • 1977 , left school at 16 and started work , still there after 42 years.
    All  because someone tried to nick Henry's cardigan.
    That’s quite an achievement in this day and age. I could never settle for more than a few years in one place. Still can’t.
  • Addickted said:
    Anyone in the directors box later?.
    Expecting @bobmunro to be sidled up with the away Directors with a large plate of vol au vents.
    Nope. On way back to hotel and then a curry in Brick Lane.

i saw them before the game but didn’t want to disturb their grief after!
  • edited August 2019
    bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:

I expect you to be giving them grief about it on Monday @bobmunro
  • bobmunro said:
    Addickted said:

I expect you to be giving them grief about it on Monday @bobmunro
    You had better believe it. I’ll be camped outside Peter’s office!
  • Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    What needs to happen now, imo, is two a prong attack. 

At the Valley, and ever away ground, "operation buy our club" , turn up, sing, be visable.  Meet the team coach, go above and beyond.  This could be something special.  If people put as much time and effort in to negative action, think what they could do in a positive way.

Then keep up the clandestine activity in Belgium, write to the embassy, be imaginative. Book out his hotel every weekend, only to have something important come up every Thursday. 

Sell us at home, make him sell us away.  Everyone is a winner. 

I like that. Supporting Bowyer and the team as a positive way of 'selling' our club to potential buyers. It
  • Cafc43v3r said:

At the Valley, and ever away ground, "operation buy our club" , turn up, sing, be visable.  Meet the team coach, go above and beyond.  This could be something special.  If people put as much time and effort in to negative action, think what they could do in a positive way.

Then keep up the clandestine activity in Belgium, write to the embassy, be imaginative. Book out his hotel every weekend, only to have 8something important come up every Thursday. 

I like that. Supporting Bowyer and the team as a positive way of 'selling' our club to potential buyers. It
    The difference between "Roland out" and "back to the Valley" is the difference between a positive and a negative imo.

For the latter "we" had to convince multiple parties we had to go home.  For the former we not only have to convince RD to sell, that the easy bit, we need to convince someone to buy us.

If we turn the negative "sell us" to a positive "buy is" you will get thousands more supporters...... 
    Snap, almost. Left college at 20 and worked at the same place for 42 years. ‘Retired’ now. 
  • edited August 2019
    JamesSeed said:
    1977 , left school at 16 and started work , still there after 42 years.
    Snap, almost. Left college at 20 and worked at the same place for 42 years. ‘Retired’ now. 
    Horsfield and me had been working for years before you decided to join in. Real workers of the world 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Then keep up the clandestine activity in Belgium, write to the embassy, be imaginative. Book out his hotel every weekend, only to have 8something important come up every Thursday. 

The difference between "Roland out" and "back to the Valley" is the difference between a positive and a negative imo.

For the latter "we" had to convince multiple parties we had to go home.  For the former we not only have to convince RD to sell, that the easy bit, we need to convince someone to buy us.

If we turn the negative "sell us" to a positive "buy is" you will get thousands more supporters...... 
    A very interesting idea mate and under normal circumstances well worth a shout ......however what is the point, when all that will happen is Duchatalet continually fucking prospective buyers around, ad infinitum.
    As Airman has pointed out, finding buyers isn’t so much the problem as to what happens when they come calling.

Must be a very good place 👌
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!