Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• Options

Yellow shirts,green shorts.
    Advance Australia fair instead of Red Red Robin
    Shit lager on sale...oh..got that one covered already

Doesn't have to be shit lager, they could stock the bar with Cooper's or Red Back.
    VB is nice.
  • Options
    Do we know if this is the Varney group or are they still watching and waiting?
  • Options
    I get the feeling this is just one option, we are in talks by the look of this, which is fantastic as it means other buyers may be considered.
  • Options
    Doomsday Conspiracy theory:

Roland gleefully envisages problems down the line with his dodgy lease. The club is enforced to move out /or build a new stadium. This frees RD up to fulfil his business objective of selling the Valley at an enormous profit.

Worse still the new owners are in cahoots with this as it is the cheaper option. They could move out whilst claiming the moral high ground leaving Roland to take the flack - to which the financial compensation will more than warm the cockles of his non existent heart.
  • Options
    A robust fit and proper person assessment wouldn't go a miss here.

If only.
  • Options

Yellow shirts,green shorts.
    Advance Australia fair instead of Red Red Robin
    Shit lager on sale...oh..got that one covered already

Doesn't have to be shit lager, they could stock the bar with Cooper's or Red Back.
    VB is nice.
    You are fckn joking, I'd rather drink VD
  • Options
    Valley could be leased back at no cost and is his security for his share - to cover the balance of what he thinks the club is worth.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hmmm, I can envisage a structure where the club and sparrows lane are transferred into a new entity, which is bought by AFC.

RD keeps ownership to the existing entities which then have one asset, the Valley, and all the loans as liabilities.

The terms of the lease, development rights, tv rights, matchday and other corporate hospitality rights become hugely important to the viability of the club.

Absolute nightmare.
  • Options
    were gonna turn into one of them clubs arent we being passed around like a cheap whore.
  • Options
    I'll check this thread again when it's on page 100
  • Options
    Didnt Gliksten go to Australia ?
  • Options
    'April 7
    Worst case scenario Duche stays.
    Second worst scenario Duche sells but still owns the ground or the debt remains outstanding.
    We will need a new owner with a lot of money to move on from Duche completely.'
    I posted this a few days ago. It seems we are on scenario 2. At the very least 'the club is not for sale' statement issued hours previously highlights what liars the club are. It's a step in the right direction.
  • Options

My view too. If you take away the ground and traing ground, whst exactly does your 20m buy you? The prestige of being owner of a club in a tailspin, a fairly ordinary set of footballers, and the right to pay off ongoing debts. Plus being at the mercy of any future rises in the cost of leasing the ground the ex owner chooses to demand. Sounds a real bargain.

A lease doesn't have to work like that. Commercial leases I have dealt with seemed to work entirely in favour of the tenant. The devil is in the detail.

If RD is looking to retain The Valley but not Sparrows Lane it's almost certainly because he cannot recover his losses up front from selling the whole club. That's his own fault, but it's our problem.

The protection it may offer him is against a buyer going bust without achieving their PL ambitions, which would trigger a further payment. But that still wouldn't give him the right to develop the site.

We seem to be assuming anyone entering into such a lease is naive, which they might be but we cannot know at this stage.
    What are your initial thoughts Airman?
    Is this a ruse to try and bring more offers or are these the real deal?

If it's the former, is the Varney option still around or has that ship long since sailed?
  • Options
    Not sure if already mentioned or if necessarily a good thing but surely some potential in casual support from the huge amount of Aussies in London, POTD may increase.

Particularly if we can get out of this league the right way.
  • Options
    So he will do a St Trident and developed the ground around a sitting football club tenant to maximise his returns? Can see the Valley changing with a football club squeezed in
    :-(
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

My view too. If you take away the ground and traing ground, whst exactly does your 20m buy you? The prestige of being owner of a club in a tailspin, a fairly ordinary set of footballers, and the right to pay off ongoing debts. Plus being at the mercy of any future rises in the cost of leasing the ground the ex owner chooses to demand. Sounds a real bargain.

A lease doesn't have to work like that. Commercial leases I have dealt with seemed to work entirely in favour of the tenant. The devil is in the detail.

If RD is looking to retain The Valley but not Sparrows Lane it's almost certainly because he cannot recover his losses up front from selling the whole club. That's his own fault, but it's our problem.

The protection it may offer him is against a buyer going bust without achieving their PL ambitions, which would trigger a further payment. But that still wouldn't give him the right to develop the site.

We seem to be assuming anyone entering into such a lease is naive, which they might be but we cannot know at this stage.
    Not assuming they are naive (yet ). But what exactly does their 20m buy them. I see no tangible assets, and a look at our last ten years accounts will show they will need to put in more money on a day to day basis.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    How does the 'fit and proper" person test work if it is a consortium of lots of smaller investors?

• Options
    20m but then you have to factor in 1m a month operational costs plus transfers. Any consortium is going to need deep pockets. Best case scenario if you make the prem in 5 years your outlay is likely to be closer to the 100m you will get for being in the prem.

If only RD had actually realized this and employed the right people!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Have digested the whole thread and the leasing of the ground worries me.

I am far from an expert on these things, but keep thinking about the Coventry situation. The Ricoh was leased wasn't it? They were driven out for a period......

Its a measure of how much I want them gone that at the moment its a risk I would urge the potential new owners to take.
  • Options
    There's no reason for Ratface to keep hold of the ground unless he thinks he can either build houses on it or at least rip off the new owners with rent.

Maybe both.
  • Options
    Maybe the Aussies don't want to own the ground.
  • Options
    How much season ticket revenue does Charlton generate? I'd expect under any lease agreement the majority of that would be used to pay to play at The Valley. Meaning AFC would require big pockets to cover ongoing losses and drive for promotion.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Imagine you are going to buy a club that is losing £13m a year for £20m with a goal of getting to the premiership. The money you are going to need is much more than £20m so perfectly reasonable and not a bad sign at all that they are working to get the money together.

The important thing is that they come in and know what they are doing - not be totally clueless like the current owner. They also need th eintelligence to use the fans positively and change the whole direction of the club. I wish them every success.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!