Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Takeover Thread - Duchatelet Finally Sells (Jan 2020)

Comments

• I've just seen the interview, it's definitely not a good 'strange'.
    Perhaps we are getting new sofa’s in each corner...
  • edited December 2019
    Never easy being a Charlton fan is it. Hope to God this isn't another false dawn, don't think any of our nerves could stand another big takeover disappointment.
  • I've just seen the interview, it's definitely not a good 'strange'.
    Perhaps we are getting new sofa’s in each corner...
    Well thats nothing to worry about... Sounds sofa so good!!
  • Is that Andy Ansah next to Gallen at the back?
    Yer
    Maybe we're merging with SE Dons.
  • I can’t handle another false dawn. Why are some idiots posting sh@t like this on CL?
  • seth plum said:
    The word 'should' is interesting....and why the further delay?
    Personally I want it to go through, I want us to be rich, I want all the success that may follow, but I am simply passing on what I have heard. Not going to say who from, and i hope it is speculation born of worry and fear.
    If any of you know anything else then share, especially if it rubbishes what I have written, I would be delighted.
    Why even bother @S@"seth plum"
  • seth plum said:
    Personally I want it to go through, I want us to be rich, I want all the success that may follow, but I am simply passing on what I have heard. Not going to say who from, and i hope it is speculation born of worry and fear.
    If any of you know anything else then share, especially if it rubbishes what I have written, I would be delighted.
    Why even bother @S@"seth plum"
    Eh?
  • edited December 2019
    seth plum said:
    The takeover is dragging on and it is not down to the EFL. I heard it was about the veracity of money  and the possibility that Duchatelet has not been careful in his dealings.
    There is also the strangeness not just of Bowyers comment but the nature of his answer regarding Taylor in the press conference after Huddersfield 
     I hope I am wrong and it is all going to be great. 
    People seem to be missing where Seth clarified what he's heard. 👆
  • Sponsored links:

• LoOkOuT said:
    seth plum said:
    The takeover is dragging on and it is not down to the EFL. I heard it was about the veracity of money  and the possibility that Duchatelet has not been careful in his dealings.
    There is also the strangeness not just of Bowyers comment but the nature of his answer regarding Taylor in the press conference after Huddersfield 
     I hope I am wrong and it is all going to be great. 
    People seem to be missing where Seth clarified what he's heard. 👆
    No he hasn’t. He is just being purposely vague.
  • I wrote my first post standing in the rain at the station at about five past ten. I was using my mobile telephone so could have worded it better. It was a busy platform. I have subsequently tried to clarify further.
  • Seriously, anyone who thought the takeover wasn’t gonna be by a bunch of mad men who will be ok at best and more than likely a joke school are living in cuckoo land .
    No sane person would be involved , who really makes money out of footballl ? 
    Are palace turning over a profit , or are that American mob trying to sell cos they realise there is no profit . Look at the financial position of established clubs who fall out of the Prem . It’s a madhouse 

The lunatics have(are) taking over the asylum , seems appropriate here 
  • Even if LB did mean 'strange' it doesn't have to mean that Mr Southall's intentions would not be hugely beneficial to the club. It could be that there has been some serious 'thinking outside of the box' which has concluded with a strategy that would be considered 'innovative' in footballing parlance, and, dare I say it, 'unique'.
    I can also understand LB's use of the word 'if' when referring to the proposed takeover. At this stage in any negotiations, no one can deal in absolute's, and it would have been wrong for LB to have said 'when'. 

• On the 'strange' comment you would also think if that some of the ideas were bat sh!t crazy and potentially detrimental that they would take advice from the footballing staff. Not at all concerned by this. My only concern at the moment is where we will be if the takeover falls through
  • Faces look ugly, when you’re alone...
  • Sponsored links:

• People putting their fingers in the ears and pretending the “strange” comment is not a worry .

• It will just be strange to Bow having a bit of money to spend and a supportive Chairman/CEO.
  • Let's be fair you've gotta be pretty 'strange' if you're willing to pay that old fool 60m for us after all his mistakes he's gonna walk away in profit. 
  • seth plum said:
    You haven’t actually written anything.
  • Looking at that tweet, it seems clear to me that Bow's "strange" comment doesn't refer to whether the takeover goes through, but to how the club will be run once it is.

Matt Southall is a former football agent. I cannot think of a single example, anywhere in the world, ever, of a new management approach,  or idea for one, emanating from a football agent, that was in due course seen as beneficial to football as a business and specifically its customers.

Of course, there is a first time for everything and anyway I may be completely over-interpreting a comment made in an interview by a busy and hard pressed manager.

Hopefully it's a passing comment and not one we will return to in the future and say "oh shit, the warning signs were there..."
    Admittedly it's not quite the same as he's not technically part of the owner/management team, but Jorge Mendes is heavily involved at Wolves and that hasn't done them any harm.
    That's a good answer. As a follow up, and it's a genuine question because I have not been following them much, are you able to pinpoint his influence in their success? 

If a former agent used his connections to improve the scouting network reach, or to genuinely improve negotiating processes in the transfer market, I suppose that would not be "strange", and could be positive. It does look that Wolves have been smart in the transfer market.  If a former agent had some ideas involving player ownership, or involving commercial gain from player trading as a main goal of the club's business, that did not put team strength first, any football professional would call that "strange". 

That is purely my personal speculation, although I suppose that at the back of my mind is the fact that Southall worked for Kia Joorabchian, the Iranian agent who pioneered, if that's the right word, 3rd party ownership in countries where the basic rule of law and associated regulations, can be subverted. That sort of shit washed up on our shore in the form of Tevez and Mascherano at West Ham.
  • I held off commenting last night because I had no idea what 'strange things' meant so I went to bed worried. It was a bit silly of Bowyer to mention this because it is so ambiguous that we will all apply our imaginations to deduce what the 'strange things' are. My first real conclusion is, if you say, there are some good things and some strange things, you are implying that from your perspective at least. the strange things are not good things.

So what can they be? Lets replace strange with another word. A similar word. Bowyer is not a wordsmith but a great manager. How about 'different'. There are some good things and some different things. Different sounds better that strange. It could be greater involvement in the team from outside Bowyer and his team. One thing Bowyer is reported to have is complete control over team matters because RD has lost any interest. I suppose the new owners are going to have a lot more interest and as a consequence want more control. Maybe Bowyer is not so keen on that. He has reason to think that with financial support he has the rest covered. Maybe we are looking at a director of football within their planned set up. Maybe they want him to be a coach and leave all acquisitions to them. 

Having said all that. I doubt Bowyer's comments were welcomed by them. I wouldn't be surprised if they were quite angry and another meeting with him is imminent. I wouldn't want to lose Bowyer. He deserves a chance to show what he can do with backing. I think it could be amazing. I wish I hadn't heard last nights comments from him. With us still waiting for EFL ratification, it gives us a lot to worry about. If I was Southall, I'd speak to Bowyer and demand he makes a clear clarification statement. Not the greatest start to their relationship seeing as they don't own us yet!
    He has clarified it, he doesn’t want it blown out of proportion.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/lee-bowyer-describes-meeting-with-potential-new-chairman-matt-southall-as-positive-and-clarifies-strange-things-comment/
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!