Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Upbeats Day - Saturday 8th April 2017

Comments

• Options

First time entrant and thoroughly enjoyed the day! Lucky to introduce myself to TCE with his lovely dog, Valli, before we set off but didn't get to meet the other lifers, unfortunately.
    We were in the first group and were lucky enough to walk with Killer for the 9 miles! He is an absolute scream and sets a steady pace. We laughed and joked in the brilliant sunshine and so the 9 miles were effortless! A great reception at The Valley by the Upbeats, having arrived at 12.05, before a well needed glass of white stuff and chilli. Only improved by watching the Upbeats do what they do best, win 5 0.
    They even inspired the first team to a cracking performance. A perfect day and will look forward to the next one. Thoroughly inspiring people and dedication.

Lovely to meet you too. ;)
  • Options
    Brilliant walk and enjoyed this 100% Up Beats all day long!
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Wow, another great day! It was good to meet the other Charlton Lifers.
    Just putting my after sun cream on now.
    And by the way we actually won a match !
    The Up beats were great ! Once again. I ve actually got a bit of my Charlton back today.
  • Options
    Yes
    Curb_It said:

I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate more parks in this walk next time, specially the Green Chain at Oxleas Woods and there's about 3 in Charlton... much nicer than trudging the Woolwich Road, though they are a bit more hilly than this. I guess we cant come back down the Thames Path because it bends so much it would put more mileage on.

The
    Could easily walk down Humber road, down into Woolwich rojiad and then up through the pleasuance. Maybe adds a bit into the journey but a bit more green on the way and the Pleasuance is a great piece of history.

First time entrant and thoroughly enjoyed the day! Lucky to introduce myself to TCE with his lovely dog, Valli, before we set off but didn't get to meet the other lifers, unfortunately.
    We were in the first group and were lucky enough to walk with Killer for the 9 miles! He is an absolute scream and sets a steady pace. We laughed and joked in the brilliant sunshine and so the 9 miles were effortless! A great reception at The Valley by the Upbeats, having arrived at 12.05, before a well needed glass of white stuff and chilli. Only improved by watching the Upbeats do what they do best, win 5 0.
    They even inspired the first team to a cracking performance. A perfect day and will look forward to the next one. Thoroughly inspiring people and dedication.

You did get to meet other lifers, me, biginbrasov and foresthilladdick were in your group. We didn't introduce ourselves by our CL names.
  • Options

Yes

Curb_It said:

I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate more parks in this walk next time, specially the Green Chain at Oxleas Woods and there's about 3 in Charlton... much nicer than trudging the Woolwich Road, though they are a bit more hilly than this. I guess we cant come back down the Thames Path because it bends so much it would put more mileage on.

The
    Could easily walk down Humber road, down into Woolwich rojiad and then up through the pleasuance. Maybe adds a bit into the journey but a bit more green on the way and the Pleasuance is a great piece of history.

You did get to meet other lifers, me, biginbrasov and foresthilladdick were in your group. We didn't introduce ourselves by our CL names.
    Oh fantastic! Yes, it's difficult introducing yourself by the CL names. Pleased to meet you and walk with you for such a great cause.
  • Options

Yes

Curb_It said:

The

I believe we made introductions as well then after I joined your table in Crossbars and the other two you mention were the two guys with you?
  • Options
    For anyone that didn't catch the Upbeats in action this afternoon, you can watch back their 5-0 victory over their Brighton counterparts here: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialCAFC/videos/1313988512001984/
  • Options
    Thanks @Ollywozere I always miss this bit. ;)
  • Options
    Great day with wonderful people. Will update tomorrow
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Great Day and good to meet a few other lifers. Even managed to persuade my daughter to go to the game but only made it until half time. Think we've got a parking ticket on its way though, my wife used the sainsburys one and was there for about 4 hours shopping before she picked us up.
  • Options
    You forgot me Oz. X

Bloody great day!

Good night x
  • Options
    Curb_It said:

You forgot me Oz. X

Bloody great day!

Good night x

I knew there were others I'd forget, my Apologies! Lovely to meet you too. :)

• Options
    Cracking day and great company, some great banter in our little group, nice to meet you T.C.E and the lovely Valli
  • Options
    ozaddick said:

I loved my day today. It's not often you get the time to walk the streets and parks of south London, and to do so on such a glorious morning was superb. The views from Greeenwich park overlooking Canary wharf were bloody fantastic.
    Thanks to those who I met today, your not half a bad as your online persona's!! ;)

I spent a lot of my day chatting to @cabbles, @tibbles and @babbles, and I can assure all lifers they are all lovely personalities!! ;)

I also had a great chat on the walk and watched the football with @Dippenhall, Who was a real gent, I mentioned brexit once but I think I got away with it!

There were a few others I had the pleasure of meeting, @DaveMehmet being one, who was surprisingly polite and well spoken, something I'd never of thought of reading his quips on here!! It was lovely to meet you all. Apologies for forgetting names.

Paul Mortimer was a cracking bloke to chat too, he has a real affiliation with Charlton, and his inside knowledge on football as a whole was very interesting.

Lastly, I've got to say a big thinks to @AFKABartram , who suggested I go today and experience what Charlton fans are all about, Supporting our community and those less fortunate than ourselves. I raised nigh on 300 quid from work mates from Australia that goes towards a very worthy cause, because when you see the joy the upbeats gain from this program, you know it's worth every mile walked.

Thanks to you all again for adding to what has been a amazing trip back home this time around. Fecking champions the lot of ya's!!

Christian.

Summed the day up for me Christian. I was the good looking big bloke in the black polo shirt :smile:
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    First time I'd done the walk and throughly enjoyed it, really good to meet some new people, the time flew by! Had my photo taken with Carl Leaburn, smashing bloke. Can't wait for next year now. Well played to everyone involved, and well played the Upbeats!
  • Options

ozaddick said:

I loved my day today. It's not often you get the time to walk the streets and parks of south London, and to do so on such a glorious morning was superb. The views from Greeenwich park overlooking Canary wharf were bloody fantastic.
    Thanks to those who I met today, your not half a

Summed the day up for me Christian. I was the good looking big bloke in the black polo shirt :smile:

ozaddick said:

Thanks to those who I met today, your not half a bad as your online persona's!! ;)

I spent a lot of my day chatting to @cabbles, @tibbles and @babbles, and I can assure all lifers they are all lovely personalities!! ;)

I also had a great chat on the walk and watched the football with @Dippenhall, Who was a real gent, I mentioned brexit once but I think I got away with it!

There were a few others I had the pleasure of meeting, @DaveMehmet being one, who was surprisingly polite and well spoken, something I'd never of thought of reading his quips on here!! It was lovely to meet you all. Apologies for forgetting names.

Paul Mortimer was a cracking bloke to chat too, he has a real affiliation with Charlton, and his inside knowledge on football as a whole was very interesting.

Lastly, I've got to say a big thinks to @AFKABartram , who suggested I go today and experience what Charlton fans are all about, Supporting our community and those less fortunate than ourselves. I raised nigh on 300 quid from work mates from Australia that goes towards a very worthy cause, because when you see the joy the upbeats gain from this program, you know it's worth every mile walked.

Thanks to you all again for adding to what has been a amazing trip back home this time around. Fecking champions the lot of ya's!!

Christian.

And your description of yourself is bang on CS! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Great Day and good to meet a few other lifers. Even managed to persuade my daughter to go to the game but only made it until half time. Think we've got a parking ticket on its way though, my wife used the sainsburys one and was there for about 4 hours shopping before she picked us up.

If you get a ticket, go into both Sainsbury's & M&S, tell them you had your 80 year old grandmother with you and she was trying on dresses for a wedding. She very slow and then you had a bit of lunch, they may cancel it.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Nice one Dipps. Your comments about losing the group and Hants' comment about being left behind will hopefully be noted by the Trust if they do it again. There should have been someone at the back and someone at the front. There definitely was the first year I did it, just to ensure no one gets lost and keep everyone together.

Well done in walking as far as you did Hants. Great effort.
    Large we had the Upbeats waiting for us but must've gone in then. I guess if you couldn't go in to the lounge as you had your dog with you then it would end that way.

We had lovely beers (yes paid for by ourselves) and a free bowl of chilli and rice. We were also able to watch the Upbeats game from the lounge. Smashing.

• Options
    Thanks B.
  • Options
    Great day, great weather, great amount of pain from both ankles but will be there again next year
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I wish I could say I loved my day, BUT as I said, due to all my surgery I was only aiming to do a couple of miles, though would have been delighted at three, and it was hard work! I passed that goal, and made the half way point, despite being so slow I was on my own virtually the whole time. I did go wrong a couple of times, and had to ask others to direct me to Shooters Hill, but did eventually make it, and walked down it before I had to admit defeat and get buses back to Charlton.

I must admit, I am sorry I missed the wonderful views from Greenwich Park, would have loved to see them with everyone, but just not possible now. Am glad I did it, as will never be any fitter sadly, so yesterday was as good as it gets for me. Am quite very proud of myself as did not think I would/could walk anywhere near as far and for as long as I did.

Absolutely fantastic effort. Have taken the liberty of amending your final sentence.
    A truly amazing effort and in such a good cause. After the walk, I thought I was introducing myself to you in Crossbars! We were the first group with Killer and a lady asked if I had arrived in a cab like her. I put 2+2 to make 5 and thought that you had finished the walk and come to the Valley in a cab. In short, my attempt at saying 'Hello' to you, backfired and I felt foolish.
    Sorry not to have put a face to a name, HantsAddick.
  • Options

If you get a ticket, go into both Sainsbury's & M&S, tell them you had your 80 year old grandmother with you and she was trying on dresses for a wedding. She very slow and then you had a bit of lunch, they may cancel it.
    I'll try! Anyone know how much the tickets are?
  • Options

I wish I could say I loved my day, BUT as I said, due to all my surgery I was only aiming to do a couple of miles, though would have been delighted at three, and it was hard work! I passed that goal, and made the half way point, despite being so slow I was on my own virtually the whole time. I did go wrong a couple of times, and had to ask others to direct me to Shooters Hill, but did eventually make it, and walked down it before I had to admit defeat and get buses back to Charlton.

I must admit, I am sorry I missed the wonderful views from Greenwich Park, would have loved to see them with everyone, but just not possible now. Am glad I did it, as will never be any fitter sadly, so yesterday was as good as it gets for me. Am quite very proud of myself as did not think I would/could walk anywhere near as far and for as long as I did.

Absolutely fantastic effort. Have taken the liberty of amending your final sentence.
    That's very kind, thank you.
  • Options

A truly amazing effort and in such a good cause. After the walk, I thought I was introducing myself to you in Crossbars! We were the first group with Killer and a lady asked if I had arrived in a cab like her. I put 2+2 to make 5 and thought that you had finished the walk and come to the Valley in a cab. In short, my attempt at saying 'Hello' to you, backfired and I felt foolish.
    Thanks again for your kind words. Am afraid it was not me you spoke to in Crossbars though. I did not get back in a cab, I took the bus, then walked again from the village. Was the lady the one who did the admin? There were two of us early in Crossbars, and the woman working there asked had we run? She told her tale of why early, then I gave mine. I sat in my usual group of friends who I meet in there at home matches. (well, this season, anyway). Sorry not to have met you, bet it was great walking with Killer!
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Thanks again for your kind words. Am afraid it was not me you spoke to in Crossbars though. I did not get back in a cab, I took the bus, then walked again from the village. Was the lady the one who did the admin? There were two of us early in Crossbars, and the woman working there asked had we run? She told her tale of why early, then I gave mine. I sat in my usual group of friends who I meet in there at home matches. (well, this season, anyway). Sorry not to have met you, bet it was great walking with Killer!
    Yes, I think she said that she had helped to organise it. A 50/50 chance and I chose the wrong one to ask! That's why I never place a bet.
    It was amazing walking with him and the group. He is a real character and set a very quick pace, in fact, Olly who led our group, kept trying to rein him in and wait for people. We joked that he could smell the beer at the Valley!
    Hopefully we will collide and meet soon. Hope you had no injuries after your walk?