Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St. Patrick's Day

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Also what English people are celebrating st Patrick’s? Guinness chuck a fuck load of money behind it and give pubs free shit, so the pubs use it as they might as well. Apart from that I don’t really get your point.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

I gave no idea why people in this country always celebrate St Paddy's day....none at all. The Irishigmore St. George's day as do a lot of English who decry the red cross flag. 
    Probably because there is a history if immigration and a huge proportion of the UK has some Irish ancestry. Also, its a good excuse for a drink because of the association between Irish people and drink. Oh and about 3% of the UK population lives on the island of Ireland. If you don't want to celebrate it you don't have to.
    To everyone else lá fhéile Pádraig sona daoibh.
    Why do we wish to assimilate all immigrants but the Irish don't  need to...

I am not anti Irish but I don't walk round singing Deutschland over alas because a lot of me is German.  In fact my grandmother,  despite being here since 1900 felt obliged to hide it for some reason. 
    She adopted Britain so why can't  the Irish ?
    Cause they see themselves as Irish and not British and want to celebrate their heritage and culture. 

• Options
    el-pietro said:

I gave no idea why people in this country always celebrate St Paddy's day....none at all. The Irishigmore St. George's day as do a lot of English who decry the red cross flag. 
    Probably because there is a history if immigration and a huge proportion of the UK has some Irish ancestry. Also, its a good excuse for a drink because of the association between Irish people and drink. Oh and about 3% of the UK population lives on the island of Ireland. If you don't want to celebrate it you don't have to.

I am not anti Irish but I don't walk round singing Deutschland over alas because a lot of me is German.  In fact my grandmother,  despite being here since 1900 felt obliged to hide it for some reason. 
    She adopted Britain so why can't  the Irish ?
    We can do both.
    As I said.
    It’s really quite simple 😁
  • Options
    iainment said:
    el-pietro said:

She adopted Britain so why can't  the Irish  

Uber alles 

Because the British adopted Ireland.
     I have been to Ireland many many times on business,  both Eire and Ulster. I always got on better with the Catholic parts just because I shared the view of a united Ireland and I toasted St. Patrick a few times, once with John Hurt the actor. I just don't understand why the English celebrate St. Patrick more than St. George in this country and it even gets a more of a mention on the television news .

You do realise part of Ulster is in Eire don’t you?
    So what you meant to say was, while you were in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.
     I would have a wee think before you speak 😉