Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    You've got to feel for Maxwell in a way

He's probably looked at the situation and has seen a young 'keeper in Phillips who has twice been replaced with experience - Effectively he's played more games than Amos and Steer yet has been the one to finally play understudy
  • Options
    Apt being a keeper, but you have to say that Phillips has taken his chance with both hands. And hasn't dropped it.
  • Options
    Don't get too excited about this young man's potential  

Mad Douchbag will flog him off for peanuts when the first offer comes in. 
  • Options

Really? Roland doesn't seem the type.
  • Options

Can't Roland just read the Grand National thread like the rest of us? 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    I’m tough to please when it comes to keepers, but I was really happy with Amos last season. I didn’t think we’d come near to replacing him, and although Steer was alright I didn’t think he was anything special and certainly not as good as Amos.

Dills early appearances for us in cups etc worried me a little bit, but since he’s returned to the team he’s been outstanding. Every bit as good as Amos in my opinion. Well done lad, and well done Bowyer for giving him a chance and sticking to your word that he’d keep the shirt if his form was good enough. 
    Since returning to the side he has been better than Amos. Against Bristol Rovers he pulled of a truly fantastic save, the save the ref missed today was superb. When the ref misses it, it is generally a great save.
  • Options
    A word has to be said about Andy Marshall too, as Dillon has really improved this season since Marshall arrived. Sometimes keepers and coaches just click
    That’s a good point. In fact I think it goes for all of the coaching team. There are several players that have improved a lot in the last 12 months. We’ve tended to have the opposite effect in recent years. The fact we ‘Charltonised’ is showing signs of being a positive thing is another sign of how well Bowyer and his team have turned the ship around. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's certainly done well since he's come into the team. For me it's about having trust and confidence in your goalkeeper and Phillips has now earnt both. He's not the finished article though there are still times he needs to command his box and deal with long punted balls bouncing near the penalty spot for instance rather than relying on someone like Bauer to deal with it but he's definitely improved, only a stubborn fan couldn't see and not recognize the improvement made in Phillips.

I made Bowyer right to play Steer ahead of Phillips earlier in the season but I also make Bowyer right to play Phillips now over Maxwell.
  • Options
    Same here, his kicking was even fairly decent for most of yesterday's game 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    Has been a more than decent keeper for a couple of seasons.

Hope he can show what he can do with us in the championship next season.
  • Options
    Really pleased for Philips but also glad that he’s keeping Maxwell out of the team after all that ‘loan keepers have to be played’ nonsense that was posted on here.
  • Options
    I didn’t think he done much wrong a few years back when Rudd was injured.
  • Options
    I think Maxwell coming in has done Dillon a favour. It's kept him on his toes and he's upped his game. 
  • Options
    I have been impressed by Dillon since he started playing for us and think he should have been our No1 much sooner. 

I wasn't particularly impressed by Steer although he's now established as No1 at Villa. His distribution may have been better but the rest of his game didn't appear to measure up.

• Options
    Dillon seems much calmer in possession lately. Previously he seemed a bit hyper as soon as it was in his hands and often rushed his distribution 
  • Options
    Dillon has matured massively in the last 6 months. His work in the gym has paid off & he is noticeably stronger & broader. He has looked excellent since Steer left & he regained the jersey. Well done to him. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Deserves huge credit but they have all played their part. No coincidence we have improved defensively since Purrington joined us. He has added balance and Bauer and Sarr have formed a great partnership at the back. 
  • Options
    Phillips .. I have been one of his harshest critics .. I am pleased to say that he has developed into a very good keeper .. he and the CAFC coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for the hard work they have all put in to achieve his rapid development 
  • Options
    Dillon has improved but I wouldn't say massively as he was a decent keeper to start with. He impressed me when I saw him play in the 2016/17 season after his successful loan spell at Cheltenham.

He's always looked confident to me and more self-assured than Pope did who looked very jittery at times. I don't know what level he can reach but he has a promising future.
  • Options
    We have a reputation for producing great keepers. 
    Certainly in recent years we've developed or significantly improved a number of keepers,  though curiously before Randolph and Elliott it must have been decades since our last home grown keeper!
  • Options
    He has improved but he needs to come for more crosses. Andy Marshall spends a lot of time on this during the pre-match warm ups.
  • Options
    Another MOM tonight?

Keep it going Dillon we are going to need these performances 

Chuffed for him 👍
  • Options
    Crusty54 said:
    He has improved but he needs to come for more crosses. Andy Marshall spends a lot of time on this during the pre-match warm ups.
    He was catching balls for fun tonight so much have heard you
  • Options
    Phillips Mom.