Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• edited July 2018
    When Phillips has played during the previous season he impressed me. Young and a Charlton man what's not to like?

We wrote Pope off and 2 years later he's in the world cup squad...
  • Definitely give Dillon a go and well deserved in my opinion. Would also say same for cover to start with for AMB. Let’s see what happens in rest of preseason games. Club youth set up clearly rate him and have released others ahead of him and he’s already played for Aussies U23s and U19s too.

I’m also a big supporter of the Kevin Keegan approach too and as long as we score one more goal and concede one less we’re always going to win
  • Give the young man a chance...
  • He deserves a chance. As far as I can remember, when he’s played for the first team he’s been really good.
    Get Martin in on one year deal as back up. Sorted and move on to filling other positions.
  • Agree. How many young keepers do we plan to lose here!!???
  • When Phillips has played during the previous season he impressed me. Young and a Charlton man what's not to like?

We wrote Pope off and 2 years later he's in the world cup squad...

We didn’t all write Pope off. Some of us always saw potential in him to be a good keeper.

Though I don’t think anyone thought he could improve enough to be part of an England World Cup squad.
  • When the takeover happens, and it's on the OS, I hope the Charlton Life tradition of sponsoring player's shirts returns and we sponsor Dillon's.
  • When the takeover happens, and it's on the OS, I hope the Charlton Life tradition of sponsoring player's shirts returns and we sponsor Dillon's.

We have our many disagreements, but this is an absolutely splendid suggestion.
  • Dont blame you in the slightest Dillon
  • Sponsored links:

• I agree with his frustration and wouldn’t blame him for leaving.

That being said Amos was fantastic for us last year and Steer had started doing well.

I would like to see us sign someone else but Phillips given the jersey for now.
  • Happy for Phillips to be No1 but wouldn't blame him for leaving. Needs to get games under his belt.
  • Must be frustrating seeing temporary loans constantly come in ahead of you. Steer, Amos, Rudd, there's always a bloke who comes in for a season then leaves, which must be quite galling when you've sat patiently waiting for your chance. I can see it from Bowyer's point of view too though. Keeper is the position where you tend to most need experience over pure talent, and regardless of that he has to bring in another keeper because you can't live with only one, and you can't have a versatile back-up who can fill in from another position if your main player has an injury like you can for other roles. Naby can move to left back in a pinch but I doubt Dijksteel can slot in at net.The question for Bowyer then becomes why would he bring in and pay, with his limited budget, a decent experienced keeper and not play him, especially if the team lending expects their player to play. You need consistency in goal so you can't rotate like you could with other positions. Basically, it can be a rubbish time being a keeper and Dillon is in the worst possible place with no other keepers available. His best bet is that he plays brilliantly until we get a new keeper in, and doesn't give whomever we bring in a chance to establish a foothold in the team. Realistically though I can see him being off in the summer, which will leave us looking for two keepers, or if Roland is still in charge loaning in a keeper and having Maynard-Brewer sit on the bench.
  • Must be frustrating seeing temporary loans constantly come in ahead of you. Steer, Amos, Rudd, there's always a bloke who comes in for a season then leaves, which must be quite galling when you've sat patiently waiting for your chance. I can see it from Bowyer's point of view too though. Keeper is the position where you tend to most need experience over pure talent, and regardless of that he has to bring in another keeper because you can't live with only one, and you can't have a versatile back-up who can fill in from another position if your main player has an injury like you can for other roles. Naby can move to left back in a pinch but I doubt Dijksteel can slot in at net.The question for Bowyer then becomes why would he bring in and pay, with his limited budget, a decent experienced keeper and not play him, especially if the team lending expects their player to play. You need consistency in goal so you can't rotate like you could with other positions. Basically, it can be a rubbish time being a keeper and Dillon is in the worst possible place with no other keepers available. His best bet is that he plays brilliantly until we get a new keeper in, and doesn't give whomever we bring in a chance to establish a foothold in the team. Realistically though I can see him being off in the summer, which will leave us looking for two keepers, or if Roland is still in charge loaning in a keeper and having Maynard-Brewer sit on the bench.

I think Dillon is a decent keeper and it would be a shame to lose him - not sure if Bowyer rates him. If we get another loan keeper in to replace him then he'll definitely be off.
  • The big mistake was not getting another keeper in last season, and allowing Dillon to leave on loan
  • Scoham said:
    Grant nominated for a couple i see, also nice to see Bows nominated for manager and no Hodgson or Harris
  • Dillon is following the same path as Nick Pope,not entirely trusted in his early days,but now beginning to show what a good keeper he is,he will improve and sadly will leave when the first bog bid comes in.
  • edited February 2019

Dillon is following the same path as Nick Pope,not entirely trusted in his early days,but now beginning to show what a good keeper he is,he will improve and sadly will leave when the first bog bid comes in.

That's toilet!
  • Actually much more likely he will leave for free in the summer.
  • Sponsored links:

• We or should I say Roland really doesn't learn does he. Extending contracts to only those players who he is guaranteed to get a return on is such a short term strategy. And the longer that goes on the more certain that he will actually run out of players to sell as opposed to those, like Phillips, who will end up going for free.
  • Dropped Saturday me thinks
  • Dropped Saturday me thinks

Based on what?
  • RedChaser said:

Dropped Saturday me thinks

Based on what?
    Nothing really I think he has been playing well, I just think Bowyer might change a few things up on Saturday and I feel he might be one that gets changed.
  • edited February 2019

RedChaser said:

Based on what?
    Nothing really I think he has been playing well, I just think Bowyer might change a few things up on Saturday and I feel he might be one that gets changed.
    Ok that's fair enough. However only there were people slagging off his distribution again on Saturday and the vast majority of the time he was playing short under strict instructions from Bowyer (because he told us so). This would make sense not only because Bowyer likes the possession football build up from the back but because Reeco was up against a 6'6'' lump of a CB.

The odd occasion he did find touch I said to my group that he'd get the usual criticism post match for those couple of indiscretions, mark my words. He also had one cock up when he came out to an onrushing forward and Solly let him deal with it and his header trying to play it to Solly, nearly resulted in Evans slotting in to an empty net. Prior to that his game was solid and he made one fantastic point blank save to prevent a cert goal from about 8 yards.

Academy product or not I like to think that I'm honest in my assessment on a game by game basis of our players and if he gets dropped on Saturday he has every right to feel right royally peed off and it'll be totally unjustified IMO.
  • edited February 2019
    RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Based on what?
    Ok that's fair enough. However only there were people slagging off his distribution again on Saturday and the vast majority of the time he was playing short under strict instructions from Bowyer (because he told us so). This would make sense not only because Bowyer likes the possession football from the back because Reeco was up against a 6'6'' lump of a CB.

The odd occasion he did find touch I said to my group that he'd get the usual criticism post match for those couple of indiscretions, mark my words. He also had one cock up when he came out to an onrushing forward and Solly let him deal with it and his heade,r trying to play it to Solly, nearly resulted in Evans slotting in to an empty net. Prior to that his game was solid and he made one fantastic point blank save to prevent a cert goal from about 8 yards.

Academy product or not I like to think that I'm honest in my assessment on a game by game basis of our players and if he gets dropped on Saturday he has every right to feel right royally peed off and it'll be totally unjustified IMO.
    Good assessment from Saturday yet would also say he made one other error which he made up for when he made the one v one save...

In the build up to that it appeared as though the ball was bouncing into the box with a bit of a gap between the ball and Bauer (?) - For the life of me was wondering where the hell Phillips was (wasnt visible on the screen) as would have expected him to rush out to smother the ball, felt he dithered and got away with that one
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Based on what?
    Ok that's fair enough. However only there were people slagging off his distribution again on Saturday and the vast majority of the time he was playing short under strict instructions from Bowyer (because he told us so). This would make sense not only because Bowyer likes the possession football from the back because Reeco was up against a 6'6'' lump of a CB.

The odd occasion he did find touch I said to my group that he'd get the usual criticism post match for those couple of indiscretions, mark my words. He also had one cock up when he came out to an onrushing forward and Solly let him deal with it and his heade,r trying to play it to Solly, nearly resulted in Evans slotting in to an empty net. Prior to that his game was solid and he made one fantastic point blank save to prevent a cert goal from about 8 yards.

Good assessment from Saturday yet would also say he made one other error which he made up for when he made the one v one save...

In the build up to that it appeared as though the ball was bouncing into the box with a bit of a gap between the ball and Bauer (?) - For the life of me was wondering where the hell Phillips was (wasnt visible on the screen) as would have expected him to rush out to smother the ball, felt he dithered and got away with that one
    Don't recall that but it is split second decision making 'should I go or should I stay'? (cue for a song) and he'll be satisfied that the outcome was the correct one in the end.
  • didn't we switch ends from the toss though?
  • RedChaser said:

RedChaser said:

Based on what?

Unlike fan's fave Keily who didn't dither, he always stayed on his line.