Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Dillon Phillips (Cardiff sending him on loan to Belgium p36)

Comments

• Options
    _nam11 said:

He needs to play. Good enough for L1.

When you get given a game once in a blue moon, it’s hard as you can’t build any consistency.

Amos had a shaky start, and he’s been good recent weeks. A fair amount of key saves.

Not fair on Dills. Hopefully he can get a decent loan move in Jan. I can’t see Amos here next season, so why hinder progress of one our own. Randolph, Elliot, Pope haven’t turned out too shabby.

Robinson cant even drop Magennis who cant score to save his life so definitely wont change his Goalkeeper
  • Options
    Fully agree with him in that article

Sounds like we'll lose him next summer too if he's kept as a No.2
  • Options
    I don't think that Phillips, from what I have seen, is good enough to be our regular number 1 ... and YES I know he's 'one of our own' .. this should make no difference
  • Options

He is good enough and is proper Charlton. Give him a chance. The Aussie on the other hand is not ready and personally not sure he is good enough.

Are there any other good young 'keepers coming through at the moment in the U18s etc.?
  • Options
    Phillips is more than capable of being a L1 keeper - if the club really have so little faith in him they should do him a favour and offload him.

He's got no chance of developing if he doesn't play and the club are setting him up to fail.
  • Options
    He did very well when he came in for Rudd.

How many Statbank MOTM did he get in that spell? Quite a few.
  • Options
    I really have no idea if Dillon is good enough or not but to have a successful campaign we need at least two things. A player who can nick a goal from nothing and turn losing into drawing and drawing into winning and a GK who can make that special save to achieve the same.

We have to be certain that DP can offer us that. Hard for a team with ambition to have someone as important as the gk learning on the job.

If the club think he’s ready then fine. He gets my support.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

I forgot all about Declan Rudd!

Quick look reveals he wasn’t the number 1 at Preston last year. Good keeper though
  • Options

I forgot all about Declan Rudd!

Quick look reveals he wasn’t the number 1 at Preston last year. Good keeper though
    I was underwhelmed with Rudd, he did ok but didn't stand out unlike Amos
  • Options
    Think Dillon deserves his chance. Which is long overdue. Demonstrated at Cheltenham he can play and hold his own in this league. Few rates Pope as highly and look what’s happened there.
  • Options
    Bring back Amos, please
  • Options
    wmcf123 said:

Bring back Amos, please

going to Millwall
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I don't think that Phillips, from what I have seen, is good enough to be our regular number 1 ... and YES I know he's 'one of our own' .. this should make no difference

But you haven't seen enough of Phillips to make such a judgement though, Lincs.
    Phillips has played just 8 times for Charlton. And most people thought he did very well.

The lad needs to play now and gain that vital experience all keepers need.
    He's good enough. If he wasn't, he would have been let go already.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Many of us were saying Amos wasn't good enough to be number one at the start of last season.
  • Options
    When he was only 20, Phillips also had a hugely successful long term loan with Cheltenham Town, when they won the National League.
    He was very highly rated there, a vital part of their promotion team.

And in their next season, they tried desperately to re-sign him on loan to be their No 1 in League 2, but Charlton wouldn't let him go.

• Options

Think Dillon deserves his chance. Which is long overdue. Demonstrated at Cheltenham he can play and hold his own in this league. Few rates Pope as highly and look what’s happened there.

Dillon Phillips winning penalty save in Euro 2020 final. Lump on it now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

Phillips has played just 8 times for Charlton. And most people thought he did very well.

well for a start you have no idea how many times I have seen him play .. in fact it's 5 and for me he is just not good enough .. he is shaky and indecisive, I could see that his defenders had no faith in him and if he's so super, how come he wasn't first choice last season ? ..
    it's all a matter of opinion, but IF he is first choice at the start of the new season, probably because of a failure to sign an experienced reliable keeper, I will be totally on his side, BUT, unfortunately I will also be concerned that he will make horrendous mistakes that will cost us points.

.. this is professional football we're talking about, results mean everything, careers and large amounts of cash are on the line, it's not a scheme in which nice local lads are given chance after chance to get it right .. Phillips is just not good enough to hold down a regular starting spot with CAFC ..
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

well for a start you have no idea how many times I have seen him play .. in fact it's 5 and for me he is just not good enough .. he is shaky and indecisive, I could see that his defenders had no faith in him and if he's so super, how come he wasn't first choice last season ? ..
    it's all a matter of opinion, but IF he is first choice at the start of the new season, probably because of a failure to sign an experienced reliable keeper, I will be totally on his side, BUT, unfortunately I will also be concerned that he will make horrendous mistakes that will cost us points.

.. this is professional football we're talking about, results mean everything, careers and large amounts of cash are on the line, it's not a scheme in which nice local lads are given chance after chance to get it right .. Phillips is just not good enough to hold down a regular starting spot with CAFC ..
    I've watched Phillips play a number of times for Charlton and he looked well up to L1. He certainly wasn't shaky and it just seems a number of fans are determined not to get behind him - I imagine if he does start next season as our No 1 then some of our fans will just be looking for an excuse to slag him off.

He's been set up to fail by Charlton so it's probably best if he leaves as I doubt he'll be given a chance. One mistake and the knives will be out....
  • Options

Dillon Phillips winning penalty save in Euro 2020 final. Lump on it now.
    Dillon was a very handy penalty saver at U18 and U23 level if I remember correctly.
  • Options

Oggy Red said:

Pope looked nervous and made mistakes early on but look at him now. On the other hand various youngsters have made a few appearances before being released.

Five games isn't enough to judge either way.
  • Options
    Time to give the boy a chance I say. By all means get an older head in on a one year deal, but as a mentor not a no. 1. If things go pear shaped, he can step in. No more loans please, as good as Amos and Rudd were I’d rather we give a chance to OUR players first.
  • Options
    Dillon was awesome in our 5-1 win at Bristol Rovers (under super-Kevin Nugent, with KR sat in the stands). Made at least 2 excellent saves before we'd even scored, so could have been a different game.
  • Options

Dillon was awesome in our 5-1 win at Bristol Rovers (under super-Kevin Nugent, with KR sat in the stands). Made at least 2 excellent saves before we'd even scored, so could have been a different game.

I've been impressed in most of the games I've seen him play in and have been disappointed that he hasn't had more of a chance.
  • Options
    I think he needs a run and I have seen enough to think he deserves that and I expect him to make the most of it. If we sign a keeper who starts above him, we need to sign another as I just can't see how we can morally hold his career back.
  • Options
    Phillips no.1 for me next season as well.