Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• iaitch said:
    Not a surprise, they've fallen apart badly after being in the top 2 early on. Brandon Hanlan sealing his fate with a 95th minute winner last night.
    Another one of ours also scored, Regan Charles Cook.
    off topic .. But Tiny Steve Evans has got the Gills playing well
  • I'm so glad for him, lovely bloke!!!!!
  • Stevenage manager Graham Westley has resigned with the club bottom of League Two, ending his fourth spell as boss.

Former Stevenage forward Alex Revell, 36, has been placed in charge for the final 12 matches of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51523874

• clive said:

Stevenage manager Graham Westley has resigned with the club bottom of League Two, ending his fourth spell as boss.

Former Stevenage forward Alex Revell, 36, has been placed in charge for the final 12 matches of the season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51523874

Barring more points deductions for the likes of Macclesfield, Stevenage look doomed. I'm surprised he wasn't able to do better than he did do there
  • Couple of years and he'll be back in charge for a fifth time trying to get them out the National League.
  • Blackpool Football Club is delighted to announce that Neil Critchley has agreed to become Head Coach on a contract that runs until the end of the 2022/23 season.

One of only 16 coaches in the country to have gained the highest possible qualification in the game, the 41-year-old joins the Club from reigning UEFA Champions League holders Liverpool, where he has held the position of Under-23s coach.

https://www.blackpoolfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/neil-critchley-appointed-new-head-coach/

• An interesting choice, I guess Critchley enjoyed his games in charge this season in the FA Cup!
  • In Scotland tonight, Daniel Stendel's Hearts beat Jack Ross's Hibs. Weird to think that until October they were managing our promotion rivals from last season Barnsley and Sunderland
  • https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2020/may/1805-statement/

Nigel Clough steps down at Burton, with Jake Buxton taking over as player/manager

It looks like it was a financial decision as much as anything, just as with Luton
  • This is a good opportunity for a player if you are about to retire and want to become a manager.

Experienced managers on higher wages are going to be relieved of their duties as cost cutting method, Jones and Clough are just the first 2 many more will go in the coming weeks and months and they will need to be replaced by less experienced first time managers on alot less wages
  • Sponsored links:

• This is a good opportunity for a player if you are about to retire and want to become a manager.

Experienced managers on higher wages are going to be relieved of their duties as cost cutting method, Jones and Clough are just the first 2 many more will go in the coming weeks and months and they will need to be replaced by less experienced first time managers on alot less wages
    Worked out quite well for Curbs that we were broke back in 1991, and he and Gritty were the cheapest option!

Worked out quite well for Curbs that we were broke back in 1991, and he and Gritty were the cheapest option!
    And bowyer
  • Telegraph is reporting that Nathan Jones is set to return at Luton
  • I'm slightly puzzled by Luton's action as they removed Graeme Jones, allegedly for financial reasons, when on the pitch he had turned things around - 3 wins and 2 draws in the last 6 matches. He certainly didn't deserve to go, based on those pre lockdown results.

I wonder if they assumed that the Championship wouldn't resume, and decided to save some money by putting Mick Harford back in control, and have been caught out by the resumption.
  • Reports that Nathan is taking training at Luton this morning. 
  • Reports that Nathan is taking training at Luton this morning. 
    Yeah BBC have just confirmed that he's been re-appointed as Manager
    He’s been gone too long 
    Sorry but that had me in stitches.
    Take a bow 👏👏👏👏
    they are obviously desperate
  • Sponsored links:

Why? They were a good fit when together and they were playing some exciting football when he was in charge. If he gets them playing that way from the off and the season re-starts I would say it is bad news for us.
    Why? They were a good fit when together and they were playing some exciting football when he was in charge. If he gets them playing that way from the off and the season re-starts I would say it is bad news for us.
    He left Luton around Christmas last year when they were still a long way from promotion .. Harford managed them during the long unbeaten run (broken by us) on the way to promotion. I was sitting near the Stoke bench when we beat them at the Valley this season (it seems soooo long ago), even at that early stage of the season Jones looked a haunted, desperate man, a panicker. 
    He managed Luton to a L2 second spot and promotion, but has done nothing since except get the sack @ Stoke. There is the old maxim, 'never go back'. I welcome his return as he'll probably make a right fuck up of the job and mean one less team for us to worry about. Other than that he's the right man for the job
    He left Luton around Christmas last year when they were still a long way from promotion .. Harford managed them during the long unbeaten run (broken by us) on the way to promotion. I was sitting near the Stoke bench when we beat them at the Valley this season (it seems soooo long ago), even at that early stage of the season Jones looked a haunted, desperate man, a panicker. 
    He managed Luton to a L2 second spot and promotion, but has done nothing since except get the sack @ Stoke. There is the old maxim, 'never go back'. I welcome his return as he'll probably make a right fuck up of the job and mean one less team for us to worry about. Other than that he's the right man for the job
    I would agree but look at Gary Rowett @ Millwall

That Stoke job was a poisoned chalice, a team relegated from the Premier League and too many players who felt they should still be up there

Nathan Jones is going back to a team that is largely unchanged from the one that he left

Its a very good opportunity for him to show that he can hack it at this level and that the Stoke job was nothing more than a blip
  • edited May 2020
    Telegraph is reporting that Nathan Jones is set to return at Luton
    They were 2nd in the table when he left on 9th January 2019, now whilst promotion wasnt guaranteed, they were in a very strong position.

Pretty sure Mick Harford even said himself, he didnt have to do to much, just carry on the good work from Nathan Jones(although I could have mis quoted him).

I do think your comments about being desperate are slightly harsh, considering he was in charge at Luton for 170 games and had a 51% win rate 

That Stoke job was a poisoned chalice, a team relegated from the Premier League and too many players who felt they should still be up there

Nathan Jones is going back to a team that is largely unchanged from the one that he left

Its a very good opportunity for him to show that he can hack it at this level and that the Stoke job was nothing more than a blip
    You've read the BBC report, the word 'betrayal' is used. I stand by my statement that the Luton directors are acting DESPERATELY to re-appoint Jones (N) despite his 'betrayal' .. they sacked the other Jones to save money and seemingly could appoint no-one else as there is/was no money for a decent salary .. perhaps Jones (N) has gone back, desperate to re-establish himself and done so for a  very small salary. 
    Whatever, I wish him no particular ill other than I don't want any success he has at Luton to be at the expense of CAFC. The End  

You've read the BBC report, the word 'betrayal' is used. I stand by my statement that the Luton directors are acting DESPERATELY to re-appoint Jones (N) despite his 'betrayal' .. they sacked the other Jones to save money and seemingly could appoint no-one else as there is/was no money for a decent salary .. perhaps Jones (N) has gone back, desperate to re-establish himself and done so for a  very small salary. 
    Whatever, I wish him no particular ill other than I don't want any success he has at Luton to be at the expense of CAFC. The End  
    Thats just the media for you... You have to ask what betrayal Jones has commited, especially to the Directors

Jones after all couldnt have moved to Stoke in the first place without the permission of those above him
  • Also not a sacking but a sign that sometimes hastily sacking a manager isn't always the best option.

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has a signed a new four-year contract running until 2024.

A man who looked a dead man walking after they were thrashed 9-0 at home by Leicester with Southampton in the relegation zone. 
  • Also not a sacking but a sign that sometimes hastily sacking a manager isn't always the best option.

Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has a signed a new four-year contract running until 2024.

A man who looked a dead man walking after they were thrashed 9-0 at home by Leicester with Southampton in the relegation zone. 
    And much as it pains me to say it, after Palace famously lost 9-0 to Liverpool, they came back that season to beat them in the FA Cup semi final
  • And to pain you even more old big nose got the winner.