Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Managerial sackings, comings and goings

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Since reaching the FA Cup Final, something has gone seriously wrong at that club.
    Yes, a harsh sacking but Watford have been in freefall

No idea who they'll bring in, but it's unlikely to be one of the usual suspects
    Yeah your right... Flores has been re-appointed
    The Jose Riga of Watford, back for a second spell  :D
  • Options
    Bowyer started his coaching career at Watford.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Since reaching the FA Cup Final, something has gone seriously wrong at that club.
    Yes, a harsh sacking but Watford have been in freefall

No idea who they'll bring in, but it's unlikely to be one of the usual suspects
    Yeah your right... Flores has been re-appointed
    Haha, I thought u was joking but nope

https://www.watfordfc.com/teams/first-team/new-head-coach-sanchez-flores-appointed
  • Options
    Although I dont remember him leaving it does sound on the BBC as though Flores resigned in 2016 rather than being sacked

Of course these days a resignation could be nothing more than an owner letting a manager save face
  • Options
    Dino Maamria has been sacked by Stevenage

Mark Sampson who was controversially sacked as England Manager for the Lionesses has taken over as Caretaker Manager

Going to be curious to see how he does - Was impressed with him for England, dont think Phil Neville has done any better and think Sampson could do quite well in the Men's game
  • Options

Mark Sampson who was controversially sacked as England Manager for the Lionesses has taken over as Caretaker Manager

Going to be curious to see how he does - Was impressed with him for England, dont think Phil Neville has done any better and think Sampson could do quite well in the Men's game
    It will be interesting how he does, he does bring a fair amount of baggage with him but on the pitch he did an excellent job

For all the hype around Neville, all he's really done is kept us at the same level, i.e. semi finalists
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49634696

Looking very likely Cowley will take over at Huddersfield. A risky move for him, though looking at the map at least Huddersfield is fairly near to Lincoln, so he won't have to move house!
  • Options

Looking very likely Cowley will take over at Huddersfield. A risky move for him, though looking at the map at least Huddersfield is fairly near to Lincoln, so he won't have to move house!
    Hudds to Lincs .. 60 miles .. I have a feeling that Cowley still lives in Essex .. IF he goes, it will, of course, be a right nasty blow for the Red Imps
  • Options
    "Football League World" on twitter (so could well be rubbish) is suggesting that Michael Flynn will be Lincoln's first choice as a replacement for the Cowleys - Doubt its true but wouldnt want it to happen either as been impressed with how he's doing @ Newport
  • Options
    "Football League World" on twitter (so could well be rubbish) is suggesting that Michael Flynn will be Lincoln's first choice as a replacement for the Cowleys - Doubt its true but wouldnt want it to happen either as been impressed with how he's doing @ Newport
    An attractive job though would take a lot to attract Flynn from Newport, giving his strong connections there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It'd always be nice for a club, if their sought after gaffer leaves for perceived greener pastures,  as with Luton, there is a Mick Harford type to take over in a seamless way .. alas, this is not often the case .. 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Nathan Jones is a prime example that sometimes you shouldnt leave for a so called bigger team, and I fear for the Cowley brothers.

Nathan was high flying at Luton left for Stoke and his old team are ahead of his current team, the way Huddersfield are going in 1 year I could see Lincoln ahead of Huddersfield
  • Options
    Nathan Jones is a prime example that sometimes you shouldnt leave for a so called bigger team, and I fear for the Cowley brothers.

Nathan was high flying at Luton left for Stoke and his old team are ahead of his current team, the way Huddersfield are going in 1 year I could see Lincoln ahead of Huddersfield
    If Stoke were to sack Nathan Jones now, he'd be the perfect person to take over at Lincoln!
  • Options

If Stoke were to sack Nathan Jones now, he'd be the perfect person to take over at Lincoln!

they would not touch him with a 20 foot bargepole 
  • Options
    edited September 2019

had a convo along these lines with a local friend of mine .. it's all down to 2 things, cash and ambition .. a t m Hudds have a ground big enough and an owner rich enough to still have Prem Lge ambitions .. Lincoln is a great little club, alas, it lacks the size and wealth to probably ever get to the Prem without massive investment ..  the Championship is probably the realistic limit for the Imps, and without the Cowleys, I fear that they would struggle there .. be very nice to be wrong though .. 
    short term though, the Imps could pass the Terriers at the end of the season .. Terriers down, Imps up ((:>) .. we will see
  • Options

Bodie and Doyle as 1st team coaches?
  • Options

True but no self respecting manager will ever think "oh i won't go to that bigger club with a bigger transfer budget, bigger stadium, bigger potential, higher salary etc" in case i fail. They would naturally have the belief and back themselves to do well. Same as most players nearly always want to move when approached by bigger clubs.

The Cowley's have been a success at 3 clubs now, so no reason why they can't continue. The biggest issue for them of course is reversing form and morale, and getting through to the January window.
  • Options

Bodie and Doyle as 1st team coaches?
    Excellent. 
  • Options
    "We don’t know if an opportunity as good as this one will come around again"

Slightly surprised if they really mean that, chances are other Championship vacancies will come up this season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    "We don’t know if an opportunity as good as this one will come around again"

Slightly surprised if they really mean that, chances are other Championship vacancies will come up this season
    just PR talk for 'we got an offer we couldn't refuse'. If (e.g.) the offer had come from Derby C, the expectations would have been really high .. Hudds ? any win a t m will be priceless .. not saying the Cowleys are on a very sure long term thing, but for now, the Terriers job is probably about as good as it gets .. still loads of para money to pay the boys a big salary and to buy players cum Christmas 
  • Options
    I can understand that statement

Football is very fickle, turn down a chance and another might not come up

Players are reluctant to turn down big moves because injury could leave them being unable to live off the wages for their careers

Same in a way with Managers, if the Cowley's have a turn of results @ Lincoln which sees them suddenly down the bottom they're not going to be touched by a Championship and like Derek Adams found out @ Plymouth - May even get the sack
  • Options
    Nicky and I have a burning ambition to challenge ourselves at the highest possible level. We don’t know if an opportunity as good as this one will come around again being second choice behind Lee Bowyer. 
  • Options
    the Cowleys are sure to take a couple of the Imps in January
  • Options
    Bet they wished they'd signed Jack Payne on loan from Huddersfield rather than on free transfer

Could have got him back in January seeing they know him from the current Lincoln side
  • Options
    Not sure how many can step up, seeing that many of them would have been L2 players last season and Lincoln play a direct style which might not work in the Championship?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Might be a very brief appointment

Daily Mail are reporting that the FA are investigating Sampson after he apparently made a racial stereotype comment over the summer when he advised against the club signing a Nigerian Defender

Edit: There again it partly looks as though the Daily Mail are up to their old tricks as per the Stevenage statement

https://www.stevenagefc.com/news/2019/september/club-statement-stevenage-football-club-mark-sampson-thursday-12th-september-2019/
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that Kevin Bond had resigned from Southend. Under caretaker Gary Waddock they got their first point on Saturday
  • Options
    I hadn't realised that Kevin Bond had resigned from Southend. Under caretaker Gary Waddock they got their first point on Saturday
    Not the only one... I only realised on Saturday reading their report on the BBC
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49726148

Jamie O'Hara appointed manager at Billericay