Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Options
    Going by the in-game stats on one of my betting apps we're getting pounded.

Shots 1-7
    On target 0-4
    Is this seriously a thing?
    There is somebody at the game on behalf of a gambling company observing those events?
    Maybe they could do updates for us.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Charlton 1-0 up

Roddy with the goal! 
  • Options
    Cafc tweets says Roddy from a Clayden cross.
  • Options
    #Roddyout standing :wink:
  • Options
    Dull game so far but good goal.

Glad my fan of the year trophy got me in to watch live but try and catch the goal on the stream on the OS if you can.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Ghandour!!!!! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Gandor!!!!! 
    Fantastic bit of skill
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Ghandour!!!!! 
    Fantastic bit of skill
    A fantastic typo as well!!! 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Always knew Roddy would come good. Generational talent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    All this nonsense about Roddy and his son .. his son is a decent player and was impressive during pre season he here on merit and deserves to be judged on HIS ability….
    I totally agree that he should be judged on HIS ability, but from what I’ve seen, he is lacking in ability at the moment and is very fortunate to have two senior appearances against his name. 

He may settle and develop in the u-23s and break into the first team in the future, although this looks unlikely based on his performances so far and nepotism may be playing a part.
  • Options
    All this nonsense about Roddy and his son .. his son is a decent player and was impressive during pre season he here on merit and deserves to be judged on HIS ability….
    I totally agree that he should be judged on HIS ability, but from what I’ve seen, he is lacking in ability at the moment and is very fortunate to have two senior appearances against his name. 

He may settle and develop in the u-23s and break into the first team in the future, although this looks unlikely based on his performances so far and nepotism may be playing a part.
    He's only 18 though.

Lots of players aren't ready at that age, but nevertheless go on to have very decent careers.

He may not be a Gomez, Konsa or even new Deji., but young players develop at different ages.
    Give him that chance to develop. Time will tell if he's good enough.

• Options
    I once asked the estimable John Cartwright about the exposure and readiness of young players and he pointed out to me that the great Pele was scoring goals in a World Cup final at the age of 17.
    Good aspiration, but the reality is much more like an uneven path to your early to mid twenties for promising players.
    Believe it or not, whatever you thought of him as a player, the most consistent ‘ordinary’ player (Gomez and a couple of others are exceptions) I saw make the leap up was Anthony Barness.
    Barness was Barness all the time at Charlton bar a poor pre season game I saw him play at East Fife.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I remember Scott Parker at 18.

Slightly different to Roddy in that he was perhaps the most highly rated youngster at the club.
    But despite cameo appearances from the bench, he wasn't really at the races (okay, it was the Prem, lol).

At 21, off he went to Norwich one Christmas for a month on loan.
    He went there a boy, and came back a man.

And walked straight into that Charlton side as first name on the team sheet.

Moral of the story: Players develop when they're ready and with the right stimulus.

well, there's a great road in norwich town centre, full of strip clubs etc !!!
  • Options
    Think NA has judged him on his current ability and decided our 2 RB's would be a better option at LB.
  • Options
    Whilst i'm quite sure that Roddy is not the next Roberto Carlos, he is 18, playing for the U23s and seemingly doing ok as well. 

Clearly question marks about whether he's here on merit given who his dad is and that he came from a school and he obviously isn't ready for the first team squad, but if he was that bad he wouldn't even be doing ok at reserve level, so he obviously has some ability.
  • Options
    He's not good enough for the first team, obviously, but from what I've seen he's no worse than the rest of the 18/19 year olds we have playing in the youth teams
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The Roddy situation has been amplified because we only had two professional left backs at the club and one of those was injured.

If he was say, a center mid, and we had released Dempsey I don't think anyone would have made much of it.

Now if you see the first part as deliberate or as a un/lucky coinsidence will help form your level of feeling on the subject. 
  • Options
    The Erith game tonight put me in mind of the game last Friday at Sparrows Lane.
    Will there be highlights?
    (And any U-18 highlights?)
  • Options
    Played Brentford 'B' in a friendly behind closed doors this afternoon...

Henderson, Trialist, Bakrin, Elerewe, Roddy, Dempsey, Dobson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi, Kirk, Ghandour.

Subs | Harness, Vennings, Clayden, Henry, Williams, Chin, Viggars, Burstow, Appiah.

Really glad that Elewere is playing without a Contract against a side who basically now target youth players at other clubs.
  • Options
    Played Brentford 'B' in a friendly behind closed doors this afternoon...

Henderson, Trialist, Bakrin, Elerewe, Roddy, Dempsey, Dobson, Morgan, Jaiyesimi, Kirk, Ghandour.

Subs | Harness, Vennings, Clayden, Henry, Williams, Chin, Viggars, Burstow, Appiah.

Really glad that Elewere is playing without a Contract against a side who basically now target youth players at other clubs.
    The bomb squad redemption.... 
  • Options
    8' Goal! Kirk latches on to Morgan's through-ball and finishes one-on-one.
  • Options
    16' Goal Brentford. The visitors level via a Young-Coombes penalty.
  • Options
    1-1 @ HT

SUBS | Henderson, Dobson, Jaiyesimi, Morgan and Kirk all make way at the break. Harness, Williams, Clayden, Burstow and Vennings will replace them.
  • Options
    Interesting that we're playing a lot of first teamers, if only for 45 minutes.

Maybe because it's a behind closed doors games we can.
  • Options
    So they are all bombed from the U23s at half time as well.