Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    JFC at left wingback would be good at this stage of the season with the problem we have at left back
    Maybe that's what Bowyer is thinking too?

Especially should we play a formation with wingbacks.

Not sure we have three competent centre backs as Pratley is needed elsewhere.

Yeah, I get what you're thinking. But I try to pay attention to what Bowyer actually says and does ...... he's usually predictable; leopards don't change their spots.

Even in a 4-diamond-2, Bowyer wants full backs who can get forward and carry the ball up the line. It's why Matthews is keeping out Solly and why young Alfie has often been picked at wingback, keeping out Purrington.

Poor old Ben, it's all gone tits up for him at the moment and his confidence is shot to pieces because he's asked to play a role he's not comfortable with and often without protection in front or behind him.

That's the trouble with the diamond, exposed fullbacks doubled up on or caught upfield on the turnover when our move breaks down ...... even worse in a 3-5-2, where opponents will target the space behind our wingback.

Both of these formations are favoured by Bowyer because in effect, it gives an extra man in attack whether wide or from the '10' position. Great when it works, but leaves us defensively vulnerable when we caught on the turnover ourselves.
    Toby Stevenson could be a better option on the evidence of today's game. He also can take throw ins and get distance and accuracy on them.
  • Crusty54 said:

(BTW I understand that none of the Met Police team are serving Police officers.)
    Yeah, you're right Crusty ..... but the team are sponsored and financially supported by the Met Police.

After all, it started out as their works team.
  • Crusty54 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Southbank said:
    JFC at left wingback would be good at this stage of the season with the problem we have at left back
    Maybe that's what Bowyer is thinking too?

Especially should we play a formation with wingbacks.

Not sure we have three competent centre backs as Pratley is needed elsewhere.

Yeah, I get what you're thinking. But I try to pay attention to what Bowyer actually says and does ...... he's usually predictable; leopards don't change their spots.

Even in a 4-diamond-2, Bowyer wants full backs who can get forward and carry the ball up the line. It's why Matthews is keeping out Solly and why young Alfie has often been picked at wingback, keeping out Purrington.

Poor old Ben, it's all gone tits up for him at the moment and his confidence is shot to pieces because he's asked to play a role he's not comfortable with and often without protection in front or behind him.

That's the trouble with the diamond, exposed fullbacks doubled up on or caught upfield on the turnover when our move breaks down ...... even worse in a 3-5-2, where opponents will target the space behind our wingback.

Both of these formations are favoured by Bowyer because in effect, it gives an extra man in attack whether wide or from the '10' position. Great when it works, but leaves us defensively vulnerable when we caught on the turnover ourselves.
    Toby Stevenson could be a better option on the evidence of today's game. He also can take throw ins and get distance and accuracy on them.
    Stevenson showed some promise last season in the Johnny's Paintbox Trophy  plus a couple of League games during that year's winter injury crisis.

Then Purrington came in on loan - and Toby was never seen again.
    He was a centre back when he was first brought in, when Leyton Orient disbanded their Youth Team - but does seem to have been settled at LB for a while now.

Mind you, at the best of times it's a big jump from U23 Development teams to the Championship - especially, in the dogfight we're in right now, it's a big ask of any young lad, however promising he is. We need experience.

• I see Ghandour played again - how did he do - chances of being signed ?

His Father is a client of mine
  • I see Ghandour played again - how did he do - chances of being signed ?

His Father is a client of mine
    My first sighting of him. worked hard but nothing special but still early days. 
  • Nice to see the official twitter account took today's result in the good nature they do most Saturdays. 
  • edited March 2020
    Our U23s take on @CardiffCityFC today, we'll be providing you with key updates throughout the game.
    U23 Lineup: Harness, Yao, Vega, Powell, Clayden, Henry, Quitirna, Morgan, Ghandour, Wiredu, Davison 
    Subs: Harvey, Ness, Keefe, Williams, Afrane-Kesey #cafc

No Aneke or Forster-Caskey so they're hopefully on the way to Hull with the rest of the team - Suspect its Euan Williams on the bench rather than Jonny before anyone asks
  • edited March 2020
    43’ GOAL!!!! The Addicks take the lead through Brendan Wiredu late in the first half. Wiredu picked up the ball on the right side before charging into the box and firing beyond Matt Hall’s reach.
    #cafc 1 #ccfc 0
  • edited March 2020
    58’ Goal. Cardiff grab an equaliser through Ryan Kavanagh.

#cafc 1 #ccfc 1

61’ GOALLL! Hady Ghandour restores Charlton’s lead with a composed finish. 

#cafc 2 #ccfc 1
  • Sponsored links:

• Cheers, Forever. Keep 'em coming.

Refreshing to read about actual football, rather than getting bogged down in the 'Bonkers Shenanigans' thread.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Cheers, Forever. Keep 'em coming.

Refreshing to read about actual football, rather than getting bogged down in the 'Bonkers Shenanigans' thread.
    Yeah know what you mean

My main message in my preview tomorrow will be for people to simply try and enjoy seeing Charlton play, focus less on the result as if the worst does happen, the clock is ticking on the amount of games we'll actually get to see!!
  • edited March 2020
    Does anyone know how the under15s got on last night?
  • I'm not sure we need to focus on a Doomsday scenario just yet, Forever.
    Lots of twists and turns to come before imminent threat of the very worst scenario.

But yes, there is still vital games to play. Let's hope Bowyer will be able to use the situation to lever ourselves away from the bottom 3.

Come On You Addicks!

• clive said:
    I was at a subdued Sparrows Lane this afternoon,less spectators than normal.
    It was a very good performance by our side in very windy conditions,with Wiredu possibly our best player scoring a good goal & then hitting the inside of the post shortly afterwards.
    Ghandour & Davison looked very good up front & Powell had a good game at right-back.
    Was Southall there watching or had he sensibly left by then?
  • The same result in just over a week's time will do nicely!
  • clive said:
    I was at a subdued Sparrows Lane this afternoon,less spectators than normal.
    It was a very good performance by our side in very windy conditions,with Wiredu possibly our best player scoring a good goal & then hitting the inside of the post shortly afterwards.
    Ghandour & Davison looked very good up front & Powell had a good game at right-back.
    Was Southall there watching or had he sensibly left by then?
    Didn't see him,but the match was played on the pitch furthest from the main building.
  • Sponsored links:

• Copy if you can please! slight peeve as previously mentioned (a few times)
  • Ness is definitely one for the future. 
  • Both come across well as hard working players with a great attitude. Good luck chaps.
  • Cray Valley PM v Charlton Athletic U23s kicks-off at 7.45pm on Tuesday 1 September. Tickets available on the gate, card payments preferred.
     At the Badgers Sports Ground in Middle Park Avenue.
    https://853.london/2020/08/28/cray-valley-pm-elthams-non-league-footballers-set-to-welcome-fans-again/
  • U23s are playing Queens Park Rangers at Sparrows Lane at 2pm

Team news will be interesting with tonight
  • Wonder if those two trialists are genuine players waiting to sign... 
  • Surprised Davison is playing this afternoon. I imagine he'll be disappointed to not be playing tonight