Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Under 21s (Match updates and news)

Comments

• Options
    Sage said:
    Person telling me wasn't sure about RHF

Cummings, Kennedy, Marshall, Fosu were named. Not sure of others.
    How old is Fosu? Can’t be on much money, we should surely offer a contract at least just for a small development fee.

Cummings, Kennedy, Marshall no surprise.  Mascoll, Umerah and Ajose must be 3 more and Parker has not impressed.
    Fosu doesn’t want to fight enough to be in the team, he doesn’t want to be here enough and hasn’t shown enough this season either.

As I’ve said recently, it’s a shame as he’s a talented boy, but when talent doesn’t work hard, or if talent decides they don’t want/need to work hard, it’s best to part ways.
    I totally agree @Sage and he will definitely be gone in the summer, i just thought if his wages are low we should offer him a year on the same just for business sake - he will turn it down as after last season will be offered better elsewhere and when he leaves we will get a small development fee (assuming under 24 years old) I think?
    Big mistake. Huge. If Arigbo goes (which I'm sure he will) we'll have no-one who can carry the ball forward. If we don't get promoted expect to see a midfield devoid of ideas. Fecking joke.
    Is it a big mistake?

Bowyer sees him everyday in training and when he's played this season he has been woeful.

No point keeping a player who the manager doesn't think is good enough for the sake of it.

If Fosu is the best we've got, the midfield is already devoid of ideas.
    The thing about football is there is always another player available. The decisions are best left to those who know what’s available elsewhere, especially when you have a management team that have done so well in recruiting this year.

I just wish they had money to spend!
  • Options
    People seem to forget how good Fosu was last season. Definitely worth putting him on another contract, especially with majority of our midfielders being on loan and returning. I just think Bowyer’s system doesn’t suit him as he’s best on the left cutting in, and we don’t play with wingers. But next season we might have to play with wingers, and then he’d definitely make the starting eleven
  • Options
    People seem to forget how good Fosu was last season. Definitely worth putting him on another contract, especially with majority of our midfielders being on loan and returning. I just think Bowyer’s system doesn’t suit him as he’s best on the left cutting in, and we don’t play with wingers. But next season we might have to play with wingers, and then he’d definitely make the starting eleven
    Totally agree with this.  Bowyer right (in my opinion) to want rid of Fosu, however if Bowyer doesn't sign a new contract it would be short-sighted to not try and sign Fosu onto new terms as most other managers in this league do play with wingers
  • Options
    Dont think its the formation thats the issue for Fosu

Why else did Bowyer play him in eight games (only games he didnt play were when it was due to injury) when he was Manager last season and was brought on the moment he was deemed available when we faced Southend at the start of the season
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Actually, Fosu plays best in the CL much denigrated 4-2-3-1 employed by Robinson. He wasn't top scorer for the club last season playing as a winger! His best position is on left of the 3 attacking players, where he can cut onto his right foot, and hit the ball.

How many assists did he get last season? (I don't know, but I bet it wasn't many!) Which implies he's not a winger with a good cross on him.

So, on that basis, do we keep him, in case we have a change in manager, who might play him as a winger, with no evidence that he can perform in that role? (The usual criticism of a manager "shoving square pegs in round holes" would then ensue.) Convert him to a second striker? More likely, but would he be better than Grant was, and Vetokele is? Maybe the cheaper option in RD's mind than buying a new striker, but I'm not sure he works hard enough. 

So, it's a conundrum. He may sign a new contract, but will probably ask for a hefty pay rise, after his first season. Or, let him go, get him completely off the wage bill, and get someone else in. Or even use his wages to get Igor to sign a new contract?

One thing is for sure. Bowyer watches training every day, so I have the utmost faith in his decision to not have Fosu even in the match day squad...

(And if you think I'm just a Fosu hater, you're wrong. I voted him player of the season last season. But he doesn't seem to fit into LB's preferred system...)
  • Options
    According to TransferMarkt:

Tariqe has gotten five assists this term (one in the FA Cup) which matches his tally from last year 
  • Options

Why else did Bowyer play him in eight games (only games he didnt play were when it was due to injury) when he was Manager last season and was brought on the moment he was deemed available when we faced Southend at the start of the season
    Bowyer said early in the season he felt Fosu's "head had been turned."

He was offered a deal by Reading and decided to move. He was a big success when he joined but not this season.

My source, not a club employee, saw the decisions being made as strong evidence that LB is staying but I just see it as normal planning.
  • Options
    Chrispy51 said:
    ... most other managers in this league do play with wingers.
    One of the reasons we are above most other teams. We don't need no stinkin' wingers. Load of mincing, brilliantined, temperamental show-ponies who only turn up one game in 10. Have we learned nothing from Sir Alf's Wingless Wonders (greatest English team ever).
  • Options
    IR94 said:
    Fosu, on his day you think why did Reading let this guy go, sadly those days are far to rare, and you can overall understand there decision, not enough consistency or fight to make it at the top
    Except they didn’t release him and in fact offered him a contract. 

If he sorts himself out he could have a good career but hasn’t looked up for the challenge at all this year. 
  • Options

I think it's something else also.

I don't believe it's an attitude thing. I think it's a crisis of confidence.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This has really cheered me up.
  • Options
    I went to Sparrows Lane today to watch the under 16s play a friendly v Millwall. Neil Harris was in attendance. While the under 18s beat Millwall 3-1 last week,  this time it was a comprehensive 6-0 thrashing handed out.

No programme was produced but I think 18 players played as there were multiple subs. Millwall were so so poor and not 1 of their players was better than any of ours. Whereas ours were athletic and comfortable in possession,  they were just big and ponderous. We seem to have a conveyor belt of good players coming through. 

There was a lanky skillful right winger who scored a couple and a Lapslie lookalike in midfield who ran the game and scored with a great shot from the edge of the area. All very enjoyable but embarrassingly one sided in the second half when in all honesty double figures was possible. 
    Great write up but surely you mean "brilliantly" or "hilariously" or "take that you Millwall scum, revenge for all the times you've beaten us even when we've been miles better than you"
  • Options
    Fosu to end up at Oxford maybe?
  • Options
    Welcome to the club Luca...

Wonder if he's related to ex-Spurs Defender: Ramon Vega
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Welcome to the club Luca...

Wonder if he's related to that famous recording artist: Susan Vega?
  • Options
    Hopefully he'll go on to do as well as the last Ipswich reject we picked up, Nick Pope!
  • Options
    Hopefully he'll go on to do as well as the last Ipswich reject we picked up, Nick Pope!
    Leon Best | Kevin Foley | Billy Clarke | Jonny Williams | Stephen Henderson | Ricardo Fuller

Have all played for Ipswich at some stage before signing for Charlton since Pope joined
  • Options
    Leon Best | Kevin Foley | Billy Clarke | Jonny Williams | Stephen Henderson | Ricardo Fuller

Have all played for Ipswich at some stage before signing for Charlton since Pope joined
    Pope was an Ipswich academy youngster let go though, indeed an Ipswich fan
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Pope was an Ipswich academy youngster let go though, indeed an Ipswich fan
    He'd already been let go though as we signed him from Bury Town rather than Ipswich
  • Options
    Playing against Eastbourne United in a pre season friendly on the 16th July.
  • Options
    Playing against Eastbourne United in a pre season friendly on the 16th July.

When do the tickets go on sale? Is it just Season Holders and VG first? How many loyalty points? Are the trains running? What's the best pub? Which is the away fans' pub?
  • Options
    Tyler French, who played a few games on trial from non-league has signed for Bradford City.
  • Options
    Tyler French, who played a few games on trial from non-league has signed for Bradford City.
    Good move for him, a big club in L2 and probably a realistic chance of 1st team football
  • Options
    Heard today from a reliable source that most home games this upcoming season will be played at Dartford FC.
  • Options
    U23s made a good start in their friendly against King's Lynn, 2-0 up after 4 mins.

Looking good against the Conference North side.
  • Options
    U23s made a good start in their friendly against King's Lynn, 2-0 up after 4 mins.

Any team news @b@Briston_Addick
  • Options

Any team news @b@Briston_Addick
    WIOTOS, Henry. :smile: