Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Sun Are Scum Mk 152919521959219521

Comments

• In response a Sun spokesperson said: “The Sun has the utmost sympathy for Ben Stokes and his mother but it is only right to point out the story was told with the co-operation of a family member who supplied details, provided photographs and posed for pictures."

Absolute jokers.

It's not a member of their family at all, but was in fact the killer's daughter from a previous marriage (who hasn't spoken to the family since the 1980s).
  • Good for cheap UK holidays though 
  • edited September 2019
    Stokes is a bona fide national hero. It is great to see the reaction of most if not all of us on here when something as disrespectful and nasty as this happens to a hero. 
  • Rothko said:
    https://twitter.com/janinegibson/status/1165867257819541504

Interesting link. Just borrowed the story contained for the Brexit thread. Thanks.

• Sponsored links:

• MrOneLung said:
    Not seeing many people advising what newspaper should be bought/read instead

I find The Grauniad reflects my political persuasions quite nicely, the ‘i’ newspaper is not bad for a short read
  • I used to buy the Telegraph on a Saturday because I liked the weekend section and the cryptic crossword, and because it was free in Waitrose if I spent a tenner on beer or wine. But increasingly its slavish devotion to shit politics, toadying editorials and endless pictures of the Great White Hopeless pissed me off to such an extent that I dont even bother with the free one now. Cant be bothered with an alternative, and why anyway when all you really need to know about anything that matters is here on CL.

• No comments on the guardians editorial regarding David Cameron yesterday?

how he felt pain when his son died but it was privileged pain 
  • Stig said:
    It's time that the law was changed to force papers to print apologies the same size and prominence of the original article.  A few front page headlines "THE SUN GETS IT WRONG AGAIN" may consider them to be a bit more circumspect. the truth, and to pay a fine when any news story is proved untrue. Being that a democracy is based on people voting on issues with information they have heard, read or seen in  the media then this is of paramount importance. The amount of absolute rubbish I see in the papers in the UK leads me to understand the absurd political situation of the moment.

• What the Sun did was appalling. I don't see that they broke any specific law though, and can probably weasel their way through the code of conduct tests.

Having said that, I think this will backfire badly on them. Doing this to a national hero and his family will appal most of their readers, and I can't imagine them getting any more interviews or scoops with England players now either. Other "celebs" might boycott them too.

The proof of the pudding will be with the sales figures. Lots of people who never read The Sun expressing disgust won't actually make any difference
  • Print journalism is dying on its arse. Hardly anyone except the bone idle older blokes who don't give a fuck who knows they are bone idle, at work reads a paper let alone the scum. 

Sadly electronic, social media doesn't seem to be much better.

What a thoroughly scummy thing for that shitrag to do 

• MrOneLung said:
    No comments on the guardians editorial regarding David Cameron yesterday?

Doubt anyone read it... You saw their circulation. 
  • edited September 2019
    Of course, the minute you part with your cash to buy that piece of shit, your standards have to be lower than everybody elses.
  • Someone's hiding in the bushes with a telephoto lens
    While their editor assures them the means justifies the ends
    'Cause we only hunt celebrities, it's all a bit of fun
    The Scousers never buy the Sun
    The parents of the missing girl cling desperately to hope
    A copper takes improper payments in a thick brown envelope
    And no one in the newsroom asks "Where's this headline from?"
    Scousers never buy the Sun
    Tabloids make their money betting bullshit baffles brains
    And they cynically hold up their hands if anyone complains
    And they say: "All we're doing is giving people what they want"
    Well, they're crying out for justice, people crying out for justice
    And the man they call "The Digger" casts a proprietary eye
    Over what happens in the gutter and what goes on in the sky
    And he claims he's fit and proper and the watchdog sings his song
    But the Scousers never buy the Sun
    International executives, they hang their heads in shame
    And tell us with their hands on heart, the paper boy's to blame
    But you who love that kiss and tell, you must bear some guilt as well
    Scousers never buy the Sun
    Tabloids make their millions betting bullshit baffles brains
    And they cynically hold up their hands if anyone complains
    And they say: "All we're doing is giving people what they want"
    Well, they're crying out for justice, people crying out for justice
    In the corridors of power they all sit down to sup
    With the devil and his minions, and they ask for his opinions
    And the politicians wring their hands and cry: "What's to be done?"
    No one comes out looking good when all is said and done
  • Sponsored links:

• Imagine buying a newspaper in 2019
  • se9addick said:
    Imagine buying a newspaper in 2019
    Their website is just as dangerous.
  • I find The Sun absorbing.
  • Sorry, I mean absorbent.
  • Stokes is a bona fide national hero. It is great to see the reaction of most if not all of us on here when something as disrespectful and nasty as this happens to a hero. 

• MrOneLung said:

For some reason doesn’t seem to rile people up as much when it is someone from a ‘upper class’ background.

personally I think it is just as disgusting as the Ben Stokes story (which is bloody filthy from the Sun).

Guardian and Sun are both gutter press IMO 
  • Stokes is a bona fide national hero. It is great to see the reaction of most if not all of us on here when something as disrespectful and nasty as this happens to a hero. 

I do get your point, but if you remove the bits you have crossed out, the Sun wouldn't have printed the story. 
  • On the ITV news last night, they said there had been a headline in the sun about Ben Stokes but that they'd chosen to not say what it was. 

I understand  why they did that, but I think that does more harm than good as it just encourages people to go to the sun website to check it out. 
  • edited September 2019
    MrOneLung said:

For some reason doesn’t seem to rile people up as much when it is someone from a ‘upper class’ background.

personally I think it is just as disgusting as the Ben Stokes story (which is bloody filthy from the Sun).

Guardian and Sun are both gutter press IMO 
    I suppose Cameron being the architect of the current mess the country is in means he gets less support than someone who improved the English cricket-loving part of the country's pride in itself, albeit temporarily.

Also, I believe the Guardian removed their comment within 2 hours and apologised unreservedly for what they called an error of judgement. Doesn't make it right but at least they recognised they'd got it badly wrong. Meanwhile The Sun operates on a different set of principles.