Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

(Ed) Fifteen years ago today.... announced Curbs leaving

edited April 2021 in General Charlton
When I was reading the 'Dowie appointment started this decline' thread yesterday, it suddenly occurred to me that it was on April 29, 2006 that Curbs announced his decision to leave the club. I've never forgotten when and where I saw the news: it was on the evening of April 30, 2006 in my family's old apartment. I came back home from university for the May Day holiday. I didn't have internet access at university so, as usual, my Dad texted me the result against Blackburn first thing in the morning. I got home in the afternoon, had dinner with my parents and talked with them for a couple of hours before finally sitting down in front of the computer. Normally I would go on the internet to read news within an hour after I arrived home but I didn't do so that day. I don't know why. Anyway, when I saw the headline 'The end of an era' on the official site, I almost couldn't believe my eyes. I had seen rumours on the CAFC-Fans forum in March and April but I still couldn't believe it would actually happen, so soon.

In the end it took a few months to sink in.

These days I still feel a bit sad whenever I think about that evening, the following May Day holiday, and the summer of that year. Curbs’ departure is one of the most devastating things that have happened in my life as a Charlton fan. Looking back, it was definitely a turning point for our club. We've never fully recovered. (SCP had us back on track but then RD came and we've been in a downward spiral since.)

PS. Probably a little embarrassed to admit this but I almost had a tear in my eye reading this just now:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/charlton_athletic/4958402.stm

Comments

• That BBC piece does a strange thing. Touched a nerve that with a dab of emotion!
    Charltons 10 year decline. Isn't it roughly 10years when this forum started?

Richard wanted people that are committed to the club. That's understandable mate until we discover you are the worst recruiter to exist.
    It appears a lot of people made your job a lot easier and complimented your name being attached to the club pre 2006.
  • I was surprised that Judas Murray was so willing to let him go. But I also think Curbs himself thought he needed a new and bigger challenge at the time....he had been linked with the England managers job on a couple of occasions and other big clubs, so maybe his head had been turned by the publicity. I had mixed feelings to be honest. I think its human nature to feel a little bit adverse to change, but there was a lot of talk of him having taken us as far as he could and I think that some fans too were unhappy with Charlton's annual slump at the back end of the season once the magic 40 points mark had been achieved. Certainly the end of an era Jessie and the start of the bumpy ride we have been on since. However having watched the ups and downs of being with this club since I was a child in 1964, its all just par for the course.
  • TEL said:

I was surprised that Judas Murray was so willing to let him go. But I also think Curbs himself thought he needed a new and bigger challenge at the time....he had been linked with the England managers job on a couple of occasions and other big clubs, so maybe his head had been turned by the publicity. I had mixed feelings to be honest. I think its human nature to feel a little bit adverse to change, but there was a lot of talk of him having taken us as far as he could and I think that some fans too were unhappy with Charlton's annual slump at the back end of the season once the magic 40 points mark had been achieved. Certainly the end of an era Jessie and the start of the bumpy ride we have been on since. However having watched the ups and downs of being with this club since I was a child in 1964, its all just par for the course.

What we wouldn't give now for an annual premiership slump.
  • If he was still here we would all be moaning about how Curbs has too much power and finishing 4th in the premier league is not good enough......
  • edited April 2016
  • from the article

ALSO IN THIS SECTION Charlton sign Green and Stephens
    Charlton snap up Evina and Hayes
    Millwall snap up midfielder Racon
    Stevenage host Exeter in opener
    Sport feedsSport feeds |
  • Sponsored links:

• I always forget we had sorondo the year before dowie was appointed. Always struck me as a shite dowie signing.
  • edited April 2016
    Dave2l said:

That BBC piece does a strange thing. Touched a nerve that with a dab of emotion!

This forum started the decline?

Boooooo!

Bigger issue though with this:

"We sorted it out on Friday night and both myself and Richard are happy with it. I have done 15 years and wanted a break. I want to freshen up and not do anything for a little while.

Before he scooted off to West Ham and kept them up. I mean he was a West Ham fan and he thought that was his dream job and we beat them 4-0 (Hammer Horror) but still....
  • If you could turn back time...
    10 years since I started going out with my now husband... the football has been shit ever since. (apart from 2012).
  • Interesting to remind ourselves of the team for that Blacburn match:

Andersen, Sankofa, Sorondo (Fortune 74), Perry, Powell, Kishishev (Sam 59), Holland, Hughes, Ambrose, Darren Bent, Bartlett (Lisbie 59). Subs Not Used: Myhre, Euell.

Take Bent's goals out of the picture and it looks pretty weak. Some honest triers in there (& some not), but arguably past their peak (Perry, Powell, Holland, Kish), and our "successful youth policy" (copyright Peter Varney 1995-2007) wasn't delivering. We needed change. And when the time came, Murray mismanaged the change process completely. The problems did not start on this day, the rot was beginning to set in, and we failed to correct it.

Agreed, that is a poor team. Losing Rufus to injury, Smertin after his loan was cancelled (?), and Murphy after his flounce out, shows how lacking in quality we were. Of that era, I assume we were missing Luke Young, Fish(?) and Herminator through injury/suspension, anyone else?
  • Interesting to remind ourselves of the team for that Blacburn match:

Andersen, Sankofa, Sorondo (Fortune 74), Perry, Powell, Kishishev (Sam 59), Holland, Hughes, Ambrose, Darren Bent, Bartlett (Lisbie 59). Subs Not Used: Myhre, Euell.

Take Bent's goals out of the picture and it looks pretty weak. Some honest triers in there (& some not), but arguably past their peak (Perry, Powell, Holland, Kish), and our "successful youth policy" (copyright Peter Varney 1995-2007) wasn't delivering. We needed change. And when the time came, Murray mismanaged the change process completely. The problems did not start on this day, the rot was beginning to set in, and we failed to correct it.

Agreed, that is a poor team. Losing Rufus to injury, Smertin after his loan was cancelled (?), and Murphy after his flounce out, shows how lacking in quality we were. Of that era, I assume we were missing Luke Young, Fish(?) and Herminator through injury/suspension, anyone else?
    I think we're missing Cory Gibbs too...

I wasn't there for that game. I was on holiday in Virginia and found out from store owner in the middle of nowhere
  • Change of elected supporters director around the same time.

The calm, sure hand of Sue Townsend removed from the tiller and we entered choppy waters all the way from Cardigan Bay to Jersey!

:smiley:
  • Dazzler21 said:

Dave2l said:

That BBC piece does a strange thing. Touched a nerve that with a dab of emotion!

Boooooo!

"We sorted it out on Friday night and both myself and Richard are happy with it. I have done 15 years and wanted a break. I want to freshen up and not do anything for a little while.

Before he scooted off to West Ham and kept them up. I mean he was a West Ham fan and he thought that was his dream job and we beat them 4-0 (Hammer Horror) but still....
    I don't think he went straight to West Ham. When Pardew was sacked from West Ham Curbs took the job. You can't blame him for taking the job. He is a West Ham fan.
  • Sponsored links:

• 25May98 said:

Dazzler21 said:

Dave2l said:

Boooooo!

I don't think he went straight to West Ham. When Pardew was sacked from West Ham Curbs took the job. You can't blame him for taking the job. He is a West Ham fan.
    You can't blame him for taking any job (other than Palace) it's hardly fair to expect him to remain pure and unemployed, by rejecting every other club!

• Wow, I haven't heard that in ten years. Great find.
  • Murray would not get a cheer like that any more.
  • cafctom said:

Not sure if it is something the Trust would look into or where to direct something like this....

Why don't we have a stand named after Alan Curbishley?

I know it has been raised before on here and some have objected saying that there might be bigger heroes to come or that his football was negative etc etc.

But seriously, who else is identified with Charlton more than any other person in our history? Any neutral fan will always bring up Curbs before they bring up Powell, Bartram etc.

Had it not been for Alan Curbishley, then the current Valley probably wouldn't look anything like it does now.

He needs to be recognised somehow, in a big way.

Sadly, 10 years ago we would have said the same about Richard Murray...
  • LouisMend said:

Wow, I haven't heard that in ten years. Great find.
    I have it on my computer. I just uploaded it to Audioboo. :wink:
    In fact I saved quite a few audio interviews from the old official site. I've replaced my computer twice over the years but I've kept those audios.
    Thank you for sharing. I've put a link up on Twitter too and people are enjoying it.
  • LouisMend said:

LouisMend said:

Wow, I haven't heard that in ten years. Great find.
    I have it on my computer. I just uploaded it to Audioboo. :wink:
    In fact I saved quite a few audio interviews from the old official site. I've replaced my computer twice over the years but I've kept those audios.
    Thank you for sharing. I've put a link up on Twitter too and people are enjoying it.
    Thank you. :blush: