Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton owner says he won't sell the club despite relegation

13»

Comments

• edited April 2016

Maybe he's realised that the value of the club is now so low, having spoken to prospective buyers, that he could only get £15 to £20m at most.

He "doesn't do failure" so wants to get the club promoted and so increase it's value.

Our problem is that is is so bloody stubborn that he wont sell and so bloody stupid that he won't change his "buy cheap and mostly rubbish players from abroad because they are cheap" model either.

And he wont't stop interfering with what the manager does.

Worryingly, I think this is pretty much spot on as things stand right now. Hopefully they will change quickly though...

Has he spoken to Varney's lot then? You don't know what people are willing to pay for something until you find out. But if you buy a car and smash it up, it naturally isn't going to be worth the same as what you paid for it. But repairing it might be even more expensive, especially when you haven't got a clue how to! He must think he knows how to fix this - OMG deja vue or what - we underestimated league 1 blah, blah, blah
  • I think he will go and, ultimately, it is just a matter of when. This regime is incapable of turning things around - both on the pitch and off it - and once the League 1 losses really start to bite (exacerbated by the absurdly long contracts handed out to sub-standard players), Duchatelet will have to cut his losses.

For now, of course he and his lackeys are going to adopt the public position that the club is not for sale; to do otherwise would only serve undermine his negotiating position on the price.
  • League One will cost the famously tight-fisted Duchatelet so much money his eyes will bleed. All he has to decide now is how much money is he prepared to lose.
  • RD will know how much relegation will cost him, and there's no benefit in owning a 3rd division club here. It doesn't make sense financially, or in terms of his "political and business status" back home. Thus there are only 2 logical option.

1) Is to sell up, and accept his losses
    2) The other is to hold on to the club until he can get promoted back to the Championship. To do this, would mean an extra year of losses AND some decent investment in the team, and with the risk that the club is still stuck in L1 or worse.
  • RD will know how much relegation will cost him, and there's no benefit in owning a 3rd division club here. It doesn't make sense financially, or in terms of his "political and business status" back home. Thus there are only 2 logical option.

1) Is to sell up, and accept his losses
    2) The other is to hold on to the club until he can get promoted back to the Championship. To do this, would mean an extra year of losses AND some decent investment in the team, and with the risk that the club is still stuck in L1 or worse.

To an extent , I think we need to question whether we want an immediate return to the championship ...
    Do we make it as hard as possible for Charlton to get promoted within the first year (in order to really push RD out) OR do we fight for promotion and have the uncertainty of whether RD will actually sell up
  • edited April 2016
    One approach the coward could take is to work out the cost of relegation – cover it with a couple of player sales, then set up with a budget like this season. The problem is, would the team we have had for much of this season do well in league 1? – our best eleven possibly, but the average level of the team, certainly not. So what will change? Will we have stability – can’t see that. Knowledge of the league and what it needs, I doubt that, head-scratching incompetence- almost certainly.

He has to sell because he will lose even more money any other way! We won't return immediately under this lot - perspective players will be warned off by our peed off players - the only option will be second rate foreign players ill prepared for the challenges of the league. It won't be pretty!!!!
  • I would think Duchatelet will give it one season in League one. If we are still in that division at the end of next season, or worse, I think he will be more conducive to selling the club.
  • It is a shame but i think we will have to burn the buggers out!

They ain't going anywhere soon enough...
  • dickplumb said:

I would think Duchatelet will give it one season in League one. If we are still in that division at the end of next season, or worse, I think he will be more conducive to selling the club.

This without a doubt
  • Sponsored links:

• Just sell up Roly.
  • ".... I and the club’s senior management team will start the rebuilding work immediately.
    Our sole aim is to be fighting for promotion next season and our top priority is to put together a squad that can help Charlton Athletic get back into the Championship.”

They don't have a credible senior management team.

Their priority this season was to have a "competitive" squad for the Championship and they failed miserably.

What has changed that makes anyone believe that a failed management team with less experienced support staff going forward can move on beyond wishful thinking.

All we ever hear is what they are going do or how hard they are working, never any substance to support claims.

The only evidence of the impact of working harder is to achieve failure more quickly.

Spot on. What would be the point of Katrien and the "Senior Management Team" starting rebuilding work? They have absolutely no idea how to go about it and refuse to get in any one who has. It's like someone with no DIY skills pulling their house down and saying they're going to build a bigger and better one in its place. It's not going to happen. They don't learn and they don't listen. King idiots.
    But they have Murray to advise them
  • He strikes me as a man whose ego and arrogance will win out over financial issues (to a limit, obviously). I suspect he genuinely does believe he can rebuild, just as he believes Meire is the person to be his eyes and ears at the club. He has wobbled in the face of protests, not relegation or losses at the club. All that shows is that the pressure on him and his puppets has to be maintained/increased. It may be the disturbances have to become more invasive next season. While he remains there can be no progress, so have a feeling next season will be another shambles on and off the field. It will be worth it in the long-term if it forces him out.
  • Blucher said:

I think he will go and, ultimately, it is just a matter of when. This regime is incapable of turning things around - both on the pitch and off it - and once the League 1 losses really start to bite (exacerbated by the absurdly long contracts handed out to sub-standard players), Duchatelet will have to cut his losses.

For now, of course he and his lackeys are going to adopt the public position that the club is not for sale; to do otherwise would only serve undermine his negotiating position on the price.

They just seem to think that if they say they will turn things round, as if by magic it will happen. It's all very well having a top priority to put together a squad to achieve promotion but a) that's what everyone else in League 1 will be doing too and b) Roland and his crew do not have any idea how to do it.
  • ".... I and the club’s senior management team will start the rebuilding work immediately.
    Our sole aim is to be fighting for promotion next season and our top priority is to put together a squad that can help Charlton Athletic get back into the Championship.”

Their priority this season was to have a "competitive" squad for the Championship and they failed miserably.

What has changed that makes anyone believe that a failed management team with less experienced support staff going forward can move on beyond wishful thinking.

All we ever hear is what they are going do or how hard they are working, never any substance to support claims.

The only evidence of the impact of working harder is to achieve failure more quickly.

One look at the league table and our abysmal results this season is the only evidence you need.
  • edited April 2016
    They could have EASILY saved us from relegation this season and now they have stated they will do everything to get us promoted next season.
    Last Saturday we had to witness the latest exhibition from our CEO, Meire exercising her power by getting players dropped for speaking out at the sponsers dinner. How will we ever know our best players will be put on the field each week? Her abuse of position and show of petulance confirms the "coach" will never have the final say in who plays. It's a farce and further proof she is totally unsuited for the post she holds. We will have little chance of mounting a promotion push next season whilst these idiots mismange everything they touch.
  • edited April 2016
    Surely RD's ego was to do it differently. To show the football world that they were all wrong & he could succeed doing it differently.

Why would he want to bring in British coaches, DOF, players etc. (IYKWIM) ?

He'll just be doing the same as everyone else, which isn't his intention.
  • ross1 said:

".... I and the club’s senior management team will start the rebuilding work immediately.

Spot on. What would be the point of Katrien and the "Senior Management Team" starting rebuilding work? They have absolutely no idea how to go about it and refuse to get in any one who has. It's like someone with no DIY skills pulling their house down and saying they're going to build a bigger and better one in its place. It's not going to happen. They don't learn and they don't listen. King idiots.
    But they have Murray to advise them
    They do indeed. He who, with a full season to prepare for Alan Curbishley's departure, went and appointed Ian Dowie! (I know you're being ironic but just wanted to vent some anger at Murray.)
  • Roland, Katrien and Tony must be aware that the fans hate them and their incompetence, as do the players, the rest of the staff who haven't resigned and the whole of the football world (except Shay).

On what basis do they think they can build a team to compete in League 1 when no one from back room staff to players to coaches is going to come and work for them in a constructive way.