Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manny Pacquiao's Criticism of Homosexuals

2»

Comments

• Options
    i might have to buy this Leviticus book, it sounds like it could be a good read.
  • Options

i might have to buy this Leviticus book, it sounds like it could be a good read.

It really isn't
  • Options

It's like a self help book but very preachy.

Rasta is largely based on it too
  • Options
    Godstone said:

If you're interested try Apologetics.com Radio Show on iTunes, it's a podcast that answers question like yours.

Thank you, I've found this all really interesting. I've personally lost nearly all respect for Manny over the years - admission of serial adultery and rumours of domestic abuse certainly tarnish the nice guy image but hey he is a politician. Regarding the bible thing, I just feel that if this stuff was in black and white as Gods word, then to a believer it's surely GODS WORD.... with religion the most important thing in Pacquia's life (allegedly) he'll not see anything wrong in what he has said - he's just quoting the main man. Crazy.

• Options
    As for Paq, what a plonker.
  • Options
    What the haters don't like is male on male penetrative anal sexual intercourse. Yet there is silence when it comes to male on female penetrative anal sexual intercourse which in some places has been practiced as a form of birth control for centuries. Especially when artificial birth control aids are unavailable or unaffordable.
    What consenting adults do in private is very largely their own business, and if same sex people tastefully demonstrate care and affection in public, well good for them.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

What the haters don't like is male on male penetrative anal sexual intercourse. Yet there is silence when it comes to male on female penetrative anal sexual intercourse which in some places has been practiced as a form of birth control for centuries. Especially when artificial birth control aids are unavailable or unaffordable.
    What consenting adults do in private is very largely their own business, and if same sex people tastefully demonstrate care and affection in public, well good for them.

I'm just having my sausage and spaghetti hoops...
  • Options
    He's preaching to his audience, a mostly poor population of devoted Catholic people, who have nothing to look forward to except a miserable existence.
    He really should be turning his attention his country's appalling record on sex crimes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is allowed to hold such views je should be allowed To say them without fear of being demonised

It's for more considered and less bigoted minded people to put a different opinion to him and make him see that his opinion is not correct and that there are alternatives to that view
  • Options
    He is entitled to his views but I find it funny he quotes the bible. What does the bible say about adulterers?

I know many stories about Manny as friends of mine are very close to him.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    This whole scenario proves that people still don't know what "freedom of speech" actually means. What he said isn't illegal but he can still be called a moron.
  • Options
    With freedom of speech comes freedom of response. If he says something moronic then others will call him a moron.
  • Options
    He's always been mental. Listened to his 'albums'?

https://youtu.be/4It3MkRw9Bk
  • Options
    He is perfectly entitled to his opinions, BUT the use of 'animals' as an adjective was definitely out of order, and can't be condoned, whatever one's opinion on the rights and wrongs of a homosexual lifestyle
  • Options
    edited February 2016

I'm not religious and don't know much about Christianity, but I think Christians believe that Jesus' death rendered the Book of Leviticus obsolete. In Leviticus it was necessary for people to make regular offerings to God to atone for sins and give thanks. Jesus' death (the greatest sacrifice in their eyes) allowed God and the people to begin again without the need for sacrifice. Jesus had basically paid in advance for any sins that would be committed.

So when Jesus died he wiped out the need to kill homosexuals as those laws were superseded by the new relationship with God. Obviously Christians still see homosexuality as a sin but presumably this sin is no worse than any other since their God always forgives. So instead of stoning I assume a "proper" Christian would just quietly condemn.

If Pacquiao is insistent on keeping to the laws of Leviticus then I hope he sticks to the funny ones too. My favourite is the one that prohibits the wearing of clothing woven from two types of material.

Except that many Christians, especially evangelicals in the US, choose to ignore the various other bits of the old testament like not cutting your hair and not eating pork but quote as gospel (see what I did there) the bit they choose to. So homosexuality is more and far worse than just any other sin such as adultery, the world was created in seven days, etc etc.

The Old Testament is still part of the bible and still believed by many Christians
    Prefacing this with I'm half Jewish, half Christian, an atheist, an amateur library scholar, and someone who believes religious organizations can do some wonderful things (see black churches in the southern US) as well as terrible things (see white churches in the Southern US).

Per my interpretation, @Just_Llera you are largely correct, although as always, the devil often lies in the details. Christians would argue that the traditional teachings of Judaism became null and void during his interactions with the Rabbis at the old temple. Other things are treated as void due to mistranslations (not eating milk and meat together is can be excused because the original intent was not eating an animal cooked in its mothers milk). Because Jesus is resurrected on the Sunday, that day is the Sabbath for Christians, not Saturday as it is for the Jews (and many Jewish principles of the Sabbath are thrown out with the day).

That said, Jesus is the Christ in part because he theoretically comes from the Davidic bloodline (though Joseph, his adopted father, I think, when you get into Biblical bloodlines shit gets weird).

There is also the council of Nicaea and then ensuing iterations where "Uniform Doctrine" is declared, and that doctrine remains relatively static in text after ~400AD (if not interpretation) through Martin Luther's (SPLITTER) reformation. Remember, there are many "lost" books of the bible, ones either lost to time completely, discovered in the Ancient Sea Scrolls, or that remained but remained outside the bible.

Oh, and there is always, of course, ignorance. Plain ignorance can be why Christians have phased out the old testament. And marketing. How to be competitive in a competitive market? Differentiate yourself!

On a serious note, I took a class at uni on the early writings of Christians, Jews, and Romans about Christianity and it was, at times, very fascinating, and some of those writing deal with these kinds of issues.

I need a lie down.
  • Options

With freedom of speech comes freedom of response. If he says something moronic then others will call him a moron.

Am I free to put his nuts in a vice, then?
  • Options

It's like a self help book but very preachy.

Rasta is largely based on it too
    Levi Roots?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:

What about when I try to penetrate myself? I have invested a lot of time and effort into this and I am not impressed by these attempts to interfere with my human rights.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He's always been mental. Listened to his 'albums'?

https://youtu.be/4It3MkRw9Bk

I'd like to hear him do SISS.
  • Options
    What's his stance on drug cheats?

Because that's what he is.