Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Class of '92

Anyone else watch this on BBC1 tonight? Pretty good watch focusing on Phil & Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes' ownership of Salford City. Its two parts and concludes next Thursday.

Comments

• Options
    Loved every minute of it.

Fascinating.
  • Options
    Loved it, would like to have seen Scholes make an appearance for the team.
  • Options
    Good show
  • Options
    Nicky Butt has 10% too

Thought it was very good. Looking forward to next week.
    Salford in fa cup first round on BBC too
  • Options
    I was surprised some of the players they had...

Danny Webber? Remember him playing in the Premier League with Watford I'm sure?

A lot of attention on that number 10, who used to play for Bury

• Options
    edited October 2015
    Watched when I got home from the supporters meeting, can't believe the manager missed preseason game because he was on holiday!
  • Options
    Thought it was excellent. The volunteer odd job bloke summed up perfectly what it means to be a fan. All the Man U guys seem like really decent blokes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Best thing on BBC for yrs really enjoyed it
  • Options
    The highlight for me was when Scholes, when on the phone to Gary Neville about playing against Salford FC, said "But I'm fat as f**k".

Very good programme.
  • Options
    Great docu, Gary Neville growing on me.
  • Options
    Agree with NLA, best thing on BBC for ages.

Fair play to the guys, their heart is in the right place and you can see they care. The look on Phil's face after coming off the phone when they decided to sack the manager said it all.

Did they mention how much cash they have piled in yet?! or do we just have to assume that?!

I remember Danny Webber. Started at United then went to Watford with Jimmy Davis, the poor lad that was killed in a car crash.
  • Options
    Really enjoyable programme. Liked when Neville was in the changing room with his cuppa but had to bite his tongue at a woeful first half.

A good insight into the lower leagues. Didn't realise it was just a two parter, was hoping for a few more than that.

Great to see how driven Gary Neville is as well. By far and away the best commentator/pundit for me at the moment and that he is involved in the England set up.
  • Options
    Enjoyed it.
    Had a chuckle at the dodgy skybox bit and the Scholes fat as f@(k comment. Also when Gary Neville asked his daughter who her favourite player is, fully expected a "you daddy" answer but got an immediate "scholesy" response.
  • Options
    Thought that they came across as very normal blokes, talented and with money but they would be good company. Really enjoyed as did the Mrs, although she wanted Becks to turn up, no idea why.
  • Options

More of the BBC Man United Salford wankfest, when will it end.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Could we persuade them to buy Charlton? ;-)

Looking forward to watching it. Seems their culture clash with some fans centres around them being more ambitious for the Club than the diehards, whereas at Charlton we are concerned re our owner's lack of ambition.
  • Options
    Really, really good TV.

It was obviously very contrived for dramatic TV purposes. (How did they know to get the cameras there *precisely* when they were making the decision about the sacking? How many of the games did we see when none of them turned up?). But it gave a really interesting insight into how an aspiring non-League team is "owned" by a some people at the top, but actually *run* by a team of proper supporters at the bottom.

The story *could* have been told in a different way though. Does this sound familiar?

- A consortium of owners, who don't support the club, come in and buy it up
    - No investment is made in the team; but some improvements are made to the ground
    - They bring in a foreign investor, who is really interested in other clubs, but happens to be loaded. He never turns up to watch.
    - One of the owners meets with a group of disgruntled fans; but the billionaire foreigner is not there.
    - They sack the manager, mid-season

• Options
    very enjoyable, agree Neville bros top blokes
  • Options
    good TV but they are going to do what they are going to do dosnt matter what the fans think---said more than once.
  • Options
    It'll be a crime if G Nev doesn't get the England job after Roy.
  • Options
    Thought it was a very interesting documentary. Looking forward to the next part
  • Options

Thought it was interesting. The ex pros came across as a likeable bunch. It now appears that Scholes didn't speak to the media at United not because he was shy, but because he gives a straight and to the point answer. G Neville seemed to know when to speak and when to listen, and seemed thoughtful and able. When compared to Giggs, Gary appeared the more likely manager. Where was Nicky Butt?

The show raised interesting points about the identity of clubs. On the face of it multiple promotions, better players and a better ground sounds great (and money had already been invested in the ground and team). But as one man said if the fans wanted all this then they could go down the road to other clubs. Salford gave their fans a local team for local people, a connection with the team, and a characterful (if not the the best) ground, some of this will probably disappear or be reduced. Team colours have already changed.

Gary met the fans and listened to their concerns, which was good. But was clearly going to carry on regardless of their response.

Few unanswered questions
    Had the ex players wanted Lim on board all along?
    Had the fans known this?
    Had something suddenly changed within 6 months of the ex pros taking charge?
    What does Lim want out of the project?

I hope the ex pros are doing this out of a love of the game and a desire to improve a local club.

I can't imagine the ground in Salford is worth a fortune, but may be wrong. Is there going to be a large retail / business / house development alongside any new stadium?

Salford fans stand to gain from this new relationship with the ex pros, but they will lose something of what makes their club theirs, where it will all end who knows.
  • Options
    Another useless programme produced by the BBC. Not a patch on Paul O'Grady's Animal Orphans on the other side...