Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***Naby Sarr signed on 5 year deal*** (Ed. Gone)

Comments

• Options

We'll just have to wait and see.

One thing i've learned during the Roland era is that some people will get automatically excited about signing a player from abroad, that they've never really heard of or have a clue how good he is, or how suited to the English game. Its a lot more exciting signing a French player from a Portugese club than signing a Scotsman from Wigan. Reza and Polish Pete clipped my wings in that sense.

Lots of risks have been taken with the summer transfer dealings; we are still a fair bit down on numbers compared to last season, and we've so far put all our eggs into the overseas basket. RD is putting a lot of fair into the ability of his European scouting network to deliver.

Have not got a clue how this will go, but welcome to Charlton Nobby

I wonder if anybody knows how many players we have brought in as a recommendation from Phil Chapple?
    Aribo
  • Options
    reckon that was recommendation from Marcus Gayle, manager of Staines Town
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Emailed the Sporting fan I work with as I'm off at the moment. He said he has potential, was an u20 champion 2 years ago, came through the Lyon academy and needs to improve his positioning.

If your Sporting colleague is as polite as you Scoham , then what he's really saying is he's shit unless he improves a lot.
  • Options
    fail the CL height test --- too tall!
  • Options
    dabos said:

He's played 6 of Sporting's last 35 games, all in the Portuguese Cup. Obviously Sporting are much better than us so can't expect him to get many games there, but I think we need to contain our excitement a bit here as @AKFABartram says

so? He played in the CL early season and then displaced by maybe a better player. Like writing off John Stones who plays only six games this season because Terry and Cahill are ahead of him.

• Options
    edited July 2015
    Interesting quote from Luzon on the BBC website

"Naby is a player the club has been watching for a while," Addicks boss Guy Luzon told the club website.

"We nearly got him in January, but now we have done everything we can to get him this summer."

The Israeli added: "He is strong, physical and another player who will do very well in the Championship."

Link: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33688601

Welcome Sarr!
  • Options

dabos said:

He's played 6 of Sporting's last 35 games, all in the Portuguese Cup. Obviously Sporting are much better than us so can't expect him to get many games there, but I think we need to contain our excitement a bit here as @AKFABartram says

so? He played in the CL early season and then displaced by maybe a better player. Like writing off John Stones who plays only six games this season because Terry and Cahill are ahead of him.

It's a bit different, because we've seen John Stones play for Everton, but I'm pretty sure only a handful of us have seen Naby Sarr play, so it's a huge unknown. I'll ask a colleague for some feedback on him.
  • Options

dabos said:

Stones plays for Everton.
  • Options
    ...he seems to be on his way to Chelsea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Talal said:

dabos said:

Stones plays for Everton.
    I think he's referring to the £26,000,000.00 bid Chelsea made for him... when it's seems he won't play 10-15 games all season for Chelsea if he is signed.
  • Options
    Oh I get it, wally moment.
  • Options
    Wonder what the Sporting Lisbon fans made of Eric Dier before he left them for Spurs?
  • Options

Wonder what the Sporting Lisbon fans made of Eric Dier before he left them for Spurs?

I'll ask my Sporting Lisbon supporting mate at work.
  • Options

He looks a bit like Lloyd Sam

Yes, he's almost as tall.
  • Options
    Tackle, tackle, Naby Sarr
    With Charlton you will go far.
    In the air you know he's class,
    And he's built like a shit'ouse.
    Tackle, tackle, Naby Sarr
    With Charlton you will go far.
  • Options

Aged 21 is it any great shock he's not a first team regular in a Champions
    League team ? He played 39 ? Games for Lyon before being bought by Sporting. That would have been aged 20 or even 19 !

Let's not get to dismissive of him on the basis he couldn't oust the two regular centre backs for Sporting Lisbon when aged 20/21

I'm not sure anyone should get dismissive or excited, we're buying what is really an unknown quantity (unless you want to think thy watching a 5 min YouTube video tells you all you need to know about a player) - we'll all have to wait two weeks to get our first idea if he's any good .
  • Options

'ooh aah Naby Sarr say ooh aah Naby Sarr'

This!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

dabos said:

I suggest if Chelsea get Stones, he will usurp Cahill comfortably
  • Options
    se9addick said:

League team ? He played 39 ? Games for Lyon before being bought by Sporting. That would have been aged 20 or even 19 !

Let's not get to dismissive of him on the basis he couldn't oust the two regular centre backs for Sporting Lisbon when aged 20/21

I'm not sure anyone should get dismissive or excited, we're buying what is really an unknown quantity (unless you want to think thy watching a 5 min YouTube video tells you all you need to know about a player) - we'll all have to wait two weeks to get our first idea if he's any good .

I assume you will be less concerned based upon Luzons comments ? We have had people looking at him for months so we've at least done our homework.
  • Options

He looks a bit like Lloyd Sam

If Lloyd Sam stood on BWP's shoulders, maybe.
  • Options

se9addick said:

I assume you will be less concerned based upon Luzons comments ? We have had people looking at him for months so we've at least done our homework.
    Not really - I wouldn't expect Luzon to say "I've honestly never heard of this bloke before, he just turned up at Sparrows Lane today and I'm not going to tell him to leave - he's bloody massive !".

Joking aside, it's not that I'm concerned as such, I'm sure people really have been watching him - but this is the same scouting network that watched players that were both good investments and bad. I'm just not sure how anyone can get incredibly excited about someone they themselves hadn't heard of until a couple of weeks ago and they themselves have never seen play but it seems I'm in the minority.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Not really - I wouldn't expect Luzon to say "I've honestly never heard of this bloke before, he just turned up at Sparrows Lane today and I'm not going to tell him to leave - he's bloody massive !".

Joking aside, it's not that I'm concerned as such, I'm sure people really have been watching him - but this is the same scouting network that watched players that were both good investments and bad. I'm just not sure how anyone can get incredibly excited about someone they themselves hadn't heard of until a couple of weeks ago and they themselves have never seen play but it seems I'm in the minority.
    There's a difference between getting really excited and being pleased we've signed a centre back when we really needed one (or two).

• Options
    "yeah interesting signing, pretty raw but still young enough to improve. Physically very imposing, should be well-suited for the Championship. Played some Champs Lge football last season, I think he's got some potential"

• Options
    http://footyroom.com/maribor-1-1-sporting-lisbon-2014-09/

Link to the reason a few Sporting fans don't like him

Go to 3:38 for the offending moment